Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Cargo (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/cargo/)
-   -   Fastest way to UPS or FedEx? (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/cargo/112798-fastest-way-ups-fedex.html)

aajones5 04-09-2018 07:41 AM

Fastest way to UPS or FedEx?
 
Hey everyone, so I've got my commercial ticket approx. 370TT 280PIC almost done with multi and CFI and a year away from a 4 year degree. My goal is really just to get to one of these two companies as fast as possible and so far it seems like my best option would be to go Ameriflight once i get the hours, but I'm willing to take any path that will get me to my goal the fastest. For people working at UPS of FedEx, what were the paths y'all took and how long did it take you to get there?
I'd appreciate any advice y'all can give me.

No Land 3 04-09-2018 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aajones5 (Post 2568164)
Hey everyone, so I've got my commercial ticket approx. 370TT 280PIC almost done with multi and CFI and a year away from a 4 year degree. My goal is really just to get to one of these two companies as fast as possible and so far it seems like my best option would be to go Ameriflight once i get the hours, but I'm willing to take any path that will get me to my goal the fastest. For people working at UPS of FedEx, what were the paths y'all took and how long did it take you to get there?
I'd appreciate any advice y'all can give me.

You should ask this question on the Fed Ex or UPS forum.

cliffnd 04-09-2018 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aajones5 (Post 2568164)
Hey everyone, so I've got my commercial ticket approx. 370TT 280PIC almost done with multi and CFI and a year away from a 4 year degree. My goal is really just to get to one of these two companies as fast as possible and so far it seems like my best option would be to go Ameriflight once i get the hours, but I'm willing to take any path that will get me to my goal the fastest. For people working at UPS of FedEx, what were the paths y'all took and how long did it take you to get there?

I'd appreciate any advice y'all can give me.



I was 43 when hired at Purple. 20 years of active duty. Definitely not the fastest, but the "check of the month club" gives me a little consolation. I would say the fastest route is wherever you can get 1000 turbine pic the fastest. My guess is some sort of full time reserve job flying cargo or maybe the regionals if you can upgrade quickly. Based on hiring over the past couple of years, my guess is you'll be at least 30ish+/- by the time you get the hours.

Best of luck. Love Purple!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TiredSoul 04-09-2018 09:05 AM

Finish your degree
Instruct till you can get on with PlaneSense or similar ( 1 year)
With ATP go to Regionals
Upgrade at said regional ( 2 years)
Fly 1000 TPIC ( 2 years)
Start applying at FedEx and UPS
Apply with an ACMI to get “heavy longhaul” time till you get hired.
So realistic minimum 5-7 years from now.
Up to never.....

No Land 3 04-09-2018 11:33 AM

I would also suggest jump seating on both Fed Ex and UPS when you are at a regional to make sure it is actually what you want to do. I can’t think of a better way of getting acquainted with their way of life.

Precontact 04-09-2018 02:21 PM

Ameriflight Signs Gateway Agreement w/UPS
 
https://w3.ameriflight.com/ameriflight-signs-gateway-program-agreement-with-ups-airlines/

Out Of Trim 04-11-2018 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aajones5 (Post 2568164)
Hey everyone, so I've got my commercial ticket approx. 370TT 280PIC almost done with multi and CFI and a year away from a 4 year degree. My goal is really just to get to one of these two companies as fast as possible and so far it seems like my best option would be to go Ameriflight once i get the hours, but I'm willing to take any path that will get me to my goal the fastest. For people working at UPS of FedEx, what were the paths y'all took and how long did it take you to get there?
I'd appreciate any advice y'all can give me.

Don’t use y’all.:D

Seriously, be persistent yet respectful in your communications with them. If there’s one thing that goes a long way it’s the realization that you are genuinely interested in their specific company, as you’ve stated here. Good luck Sir!

vano 04-12-2018 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiredSoul (Post 2568244)
Finish your degree
Instruct till you can get on with PlaneSense or similar ( 1 year)
With ATP go to Regionals
Upgrade at said regional ( 2 years)
Fly 1000 TPIC ( 2 years)
Start applying at FedEx and UPS
Apply with an ACMI to get “heavy longhaul” time till you get hired.
So realistic minimum 5-7 years from now.
Up to never.....

Nothing wrong with the example by itself - but you do have to replace "realistic" with "extremely optimistic 5-7 years"
C'mon Don't lie to the kids! it is an airline industry he is interested in afterall..
You forgot to through in a furlough or two, with years of non-flying and than years of trying to get back to flying..

So...honestly 12-20 years would be more on the "realistic" side.

BigC208 04-12-2018 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vano (Post 2570582)
Nothing wrong with the example by itself - but you do have to replace "realistic" with "extremely optimistic 5-7 years"
C'mon Don't lie to the kids! it is an airline industry he is interested in afterall..
You forgot to through in a furlough or two, with years of non-flying and than years of trying to get back to flying..

So...honestly 12-20 years would be more on the "realistic" side.

He can join Mountain Air Cargo or Empire and join the Purple Runway (google it) program! That’s the shortest way into a FedEx Mainline aircraft. That’s what we’ve been told by management on April the second.

vano 04-12-2018 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigC208 (Post 2570705)
He can join Mountain Air Cargo or Empire and join the Purple Runway (google it) program! That’s the shortest way into a FedEx Mainline aircraft. That’s what we’ve been told by management on April the second.

...oh " by management" huh, that must be true than. Hard not to be sarcastic, but c'mon bud, give yourself some credit, I don't believe you're that gullible..


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:11 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands