Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > >
Cargo Part 121 cargo airlines
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2018, 06:41 AM   #1  
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Feb 2018
Posts: 14
Default Fastest way to UPS or FedEx?

Hey everyone, so I've got my commercial ticket approx. 370TT 280PIC almost done with multi and CFI and a year away from a 4 year degree. My goal is really just to get to one of these two companies as fast as possible and so far it seems like my best option would be to go Ameriflight once i get the hours, but I'm willing to take any path that will get me to my goal the fastest. For people working at UPS of FedEx, what were the paths y'all took and how long did it take you to get there?
I'd appreciate any advice y'all can give me.
aajones5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:03 AM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,656
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajones5 View Post
Hey everyone, so I've got my commercial ticket approx. 370TT 280PIC almost done with multi and CFI and a year away from a 4 year degree. My goal is really just to get to one of these two companies as fast as possible and so far it seems like my best option would be to go Ameriflight once i get the hours, but I'm willing to take any path that will get me to my goal the fastest. For people working at UPS of FedEx, what were the paths y'all took and how long did it take you to get there?
I'd appreciate any advice y'all can give me.
You should ask this question on the Fed Ex or UPS forum.
No Land 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:50 AM   #3  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Mar 2015
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajones5 View Post
Hey everyone, so I've got my commercial ticket approx. 370TT 280PIC almost done with multi and CFI and a year away from a 4 year degree. My goal is really just to get to one of these two companies as fast as possible and so far it seems like my best option would be to go Ameriflight once i get the hours, but I'm willing to take any path that will get me to my goal the fastest. For people working at UPS of FedEx, what were the paths y'all took and how long did it take you to get there?

I'd appreciate any advice y'all can give me.


I was 43 when hired at Purple. 20 years of active duty. Definitely not the fastest, but the "check of the month club" gives me a little consolation. I would say the fastest route is wherever you can get 1000 turbine pic the fastest. My guess is some sort of full time reserve job flying cargo or maybe the regionals if you can upgrade quickly. Based on hiring over the past couple of years, my guess is you'll be at least 30ish+/- by the time you get the hours.

Best of luck. Love Purple!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cliffnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:05 AM   #4  
All is fine at .79
 
TiredSoul's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot
Posts: 1,516
Default

Finish your degree
Instruct till you can get on with PlaneSense or similar ( 1 year)
With ATP go to Regionals
Upgrade at said regional ( 2 years)
Fly 1000 TPIC ( 2 years)
Start applying at FedEx and UPS
Apply with an ACMI to get “heavy longhaul” time till you get hired.
So realistic minimum 5-7 years from now.
Up to never.....
TiredSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:33 AM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,656
Default

I would also suggest jump seating on both Fed Ex and UPS when you are at a regional to make sure it is actually what you want to do. I can’t think of a better way of getting acquainted with their way of life.
No Land 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:21 PM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2006
Posts: 731
Default Ameriflight Signs Gateway Agreement w/UPS

https://w3.ameriflight.com/ameriflight-signs-gateway-program-agreement-with-ups-airlines/
Precontact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:49 AM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Out Of Trim's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2015
Posts: 274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajones5 View Post
Hey everyone, so I've got my commercial ticket approx. 370TT 280PIC almost done with multi and CFI and a year away from a 4 year degree. My goal is really just to get to one of these two companies as fast as possible and so far it seems like my best option would be to go Ameriflight once i get the hours, but I'm willing to take any path that will get me to my goal the fastest. For people working at UPS of FedEx, what were the paths y'all took and how long did it take you to get there?
I'd appreciate any advice y'all can give me.
Don’t use y’all.

Seriously, be persistent yet respectful in your communications with them. If there’s one thing that goes a long way it’s the realization that you are genuinely interested in their specific company, as you’ve stated here. Good luck Sir!
Out Of Trim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:33 AM   #8  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Sep 2015
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
Finish your degree
Instruct till you can get on with PlaneSense or similar ( 1 year)
With ATP go to Regionals
Upgrade at said regional ( 2 years)
Fly 1000 TPIC ( 2 years)
Start applying at FedEx and UPS
Apply with an ACMI to get “heavy longhaul” time till you get hired.
So realistic minimum 5-7 years from now.
Up to never.....
Nothing wrong with the example by itself - but you do have to replace "realistic" with "extremely optimistic 5-7 years"
C'mon Don't lie to the kids! it is an airline industry he is interested in afterall..
You forgot to through in a furlough or two, with years of non-flying and than years of trying to get back to flying..

So...honestly 12-20 years would be more on the "realistic" side.
vano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:12 AM   #9  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Feb 2013
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vano View Post
Nothing wrong with the example by itself - but you do have to replace "realistic" with "extremely optimistic 5-7 years"
C'mon Don't lie to the kids! it is an airline industry he is interested in afterall..
You forgot to through in a furlough or two, with years of non-flying and than years of trying to get back to flying..

So...honestly 12-20 years would be more on the "realistic" side.
He can join Mountain Air Cargo or Empire and join the Purple Runway (google it) program! That’s the shortest way into a FedEx Mainline aircraft. That’s what we’ve been told by management on April the second.
BigC208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:16 PM   #10  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Sep 2015
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigC208 View Post
He can join Mountain Air Cargo or Empire and join the Purple Runway (google it) program! That’s the shortest way into a FedEx Mainline aircraft. That’s what we’ve been told by management on April the second.
...oh " by management" huh, that must be true than. Hard not to be sarcastic, but c'mon bud, give yourself some credit, I don't believe you're that gullible..
vano is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will a Pilots Strike Cripple UPS? (article) Rock FedEx 10 09-20-2015 07:21 AM
New Deal with Teamsters Cujo Cargo 4 10-01-2007 10:08 PM
Will FedEx Ship Profits to UPS? 767pilot Cargo 53 09-28-2007 05:50 AM
UPS & FedEx to close year "with a bang" Freighter Captain Cargo 0 11-26-2006 04:26 PM
UPS TA, the other side of the story Part 1 Zoro Cargo 19 07-28-2006 12:30 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:02 PM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.5, Copyright ©2000-2019, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1