Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-12-2006, 02:39 PM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
TipsyMcStagger's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2005
Posts: 229
Default Deadly Express

Here is a recent series from the Miami Herald regarding accident rates among cargo operators. .

Here is an accompanying audio segment which aired on NPR.


Unfortunately, the NPR piece doesn't make clear the distinction between Part 135 and Part 121 rules. Nor does it ever discuss the similarities of 121 passenger and cargo operations.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Tipsy
TipsyMcStagger is offline  
Old 07-12-2006, 05:28 PM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
greedyairlineexec's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2005
Position: A320
Posts: 406
Default

insurance companies do the same . if you fly for UPS and try to get a 30 year term life with prudential (cheapest)it cost 4 times more than a mesa pilot.
greedyairlineexec is offline  
Old 07-12-2006, 06:17 PM   #3  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: FO dhc-6
Posts: 523
Default

and yet these idiot insurance companies do not realize flying is safer than driving, i bet truck drivers have no problem getting life insurance

i hate insurance companies
hatetobreakit2u is offline  
Old 07-12-2006, 06:45 PM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
GauleyPilot's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: BE-20, RA390
Posts: 643
Default driving vs. flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatetobreakit2u
and yet these idiot insurance companies do not realize flying is safer than driving, i bet truck drivers have no problem getting life insurance

i hate insurance companies
While flying 121 cargo for UPS is more than likely safer than flying 135 for Uncle Nasty's Navajo Night Freightways, insurance cos look at statistics.

Google "top ten dangerous professions". It is a list from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Compare truckers to pilots. If I remember correctly, pilots are 3rd or 4th in the most dangerous, while truckers come in near number 8.
GauleyPilot is offline  
Old 07-12-2006, 08:06 PM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
WhiteH2O's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Sitting down and facing front. Why would you want to know that?
Posts: 524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GauleyPilot
Google "top ten dangerous professions". It is a list from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Compare truckers to pilots. If I remember correctly, pilots are 3rd or 4th in the most dangerous, while truckers come in near number 8.
Here ya go:

1. Logging (tie)
Logging maintained its position as the most dangerous job in the United States again last year, tying aircraft pilots with 92.4 deaths for every 100,000 workers.

Source: US Bureau of Labor and Statistics

9. Truck driving
Falling asleep at the wheel and slick weather conditions are just two elements truck drivers face when they climb into their rigs.

Source: US Bureau of Labor and Statistics
WhiteH2O is offline  
Old 07-13-2006, 04:00 PM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
GauleyPilot's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: BE-20, RA390
Posts: 643
Default wow

Those new numbers are worse than before
GauleyPilot is offline  
Old 07-27-2006, 09:56 PM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
PAX2Cargo's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2005
Position: A cushion seat
Posts: 171
Default

I knew one of the guys in the story, Tom Lennon. Great guy. I also have 4 others who I knew well who were killed aover 5 years.

RIP gentlemen.
PAX2Cargo is offline  
Old 07-29-2006, 12:16 PM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
freightretriever's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: looking for a bridge to sleep under in ANC
Posts: 175
Default insurance

Check out Pilot Insurance Center www.piclife.com. They had the best price for a 20 year term life policy I could find. They cover ALL types of flying including experimental aircraft. Watch out for the name brand insurance policies. They charge a premium for pilots and DO NOT cover you unless you operate under part 121. So if you happen to crash while operating a ferry flight under part 91 rules (airlines do it all the time) you aren't covered.
freightretriever is offline  
Old 07-29-2006, 02:40 PM   #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
fdx727pilot's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: 767 Cap
Posts: 1,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightretriever
So if you happen to crash while operating a ferry flight under part 91 rules (airlines do it all the time) you aren't covered.
Not at FDX. At my last job (ACMI non-sked) i did a lot of Pt 91 flights. Since I have been at FDX, all the ferry flights I have been on are 121. Flight test may be different. They do things like take DC10s to Italy for conversion.
fdx727pilot is offline  
Old 07-29-2006, 03:22 PM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
XtremeF150's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: M88B
Posts: 1,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
Here ya go:

1. Logging (tie)
Logging maintained its position as the most dangerous job in the United States again last year, tying aircraft pilots with 92.4 deaths for every 100,000 workers.

Source: US Bureau of Labor and Statistics

9. Truck driving
Falling asleep at the wheel and slick weather conditions are just two elements truck drivers face when they climb into their rigs.

Source: US Bureau of Labor and Statistics
Alright, but I bet these #'s are skewed due to including military pilots that have recenlty been killed in the Middle East. Also includes a lot of yahoo's that like to do crazy things in 1000 lb. aircraft powered by a scooter engine. Just an assumption though.

XtremeF150
XtremeF150 is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Express Jet bases otter Regional 26 10-25-2013 12:49 PM
Ground Control at MEM during the FDX midnight sort AUS_ATC Cargo 29 02-02-2007 07:17 AM
FedEx to Acquire Chinese Transportation Co. TonyC Major 0 01-24-2006 06:21 PM
ASA and Express Jet News tsuchiym Regional 8 11-13-2005 02:54 PM
Republic Airways to Operate More EMB-170's as United Express Frisky Pilot Regional 0 06-23-2005 03:50 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:40 AM.