Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Cargo (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/cargo/)
-   -   FDX QA Observations (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/cargo/82123-fdx-qa-observations.html)

trigg41 06-15-2014 06:22 AM

FDX QA Observations
 
I have one on my next flight, first one. Have they been doing a lot of them recently. Haven't heard much lately on them.

golfandfly 06-15-2014 08:00 AM

I had one a few months back.. They will ask you several questions about your rest and such.. After reading the union's stance on these flights, I would have chosen not to participate and make them feel unwelcome.

At the time, I had no idea what it was about. The captain didn't either. At my last recurrent, one of the observers explained the program.. I still have no idea why this program exists, but I won't participate next time.

busdriver12 06-15-2014 08:22 AM


Originally Posted by golfandfly (Post 1665077)
I had one a few months back.. They will ask you several questions about your rest and such.. After reading the union's stance on these flights, I would have chosen not to participate and make them feel unwelcome.

At the time, I had no idea what it was about. The captain didn't either. At my last recurrent, one of the observers explained the program.. I still have no idea why this program exists, but I won't participate next time.

But how do you choose not to participate? If someone is on your flight, you really don't have any option. I'm not going to kick someone off the jumpseat.

3pointlanding 06-15-2014 08:40 AM

The QA is a part of SMS and an IOSA requirement. Part 5 will soon be issued. Observations should be just that. . If we are to be on the IOSA registry and in compliance with SMS we have to do it.

4A2B 06-15-2014 08:54 AM


Originally Posted by 3pointlanding (Post 1665103)
The QA is a part of SMS and an IOSA requirement. Part 5 will soon be issued. Observations should be just that. . If we are to be on the IOSA registry and in compliance with SMS we have to do it.

correct, and we should be doing an ongoing LOSA per the negotiated MOU to meet those requirements.

No one has to answer any questions from a QA observer, about sleep rest or anything else. The QA observers should be listed as JS and request permission to ride instead of being listed as ACM as that implies "member of the crew" just one of many concerns ALPA raises.

One of the most poorly run programs I have ever seen, without any input from ALPA to boot.

HKFlyr 06-15-2014 09:07 AM

Thanks, have a seat in the back...JUST SAY NO
 

Originally Posted by 4A2B (Post 1665115)
correct, and we should be doing an ongoing LOSA per the negotiated MOU to meet those requirements.

No one has to answer any questions from a QA observer, about sleep rest or anything else. The QA observers should be listed as JS and request permission to ride instead of being listed as ACM as that implies "member of the crew" just one of many concerns ALPA raises.

One of the most poorly run programs I have ever seen, without any input from ALPA to boot.

And I won't allow them in the cockpit. And I won't answer any of their questions. And they will be instructed to be at the aircraft 20 minutes prior to pushback.

They are not a required crewmember. They are in an entry level management wanna be program, and they could still make comments that put you in front of a training review board.

Fedex continues to do their own thing, unlike all other airlines that seem to crash a lot less jets...makes you wonder. LOSA yes, QA no.

Tuck 06-15-2014 09:08 AM

Where's the info on the program? On PFC somewhere? If it's part of SMS then where is that in writing? What's to stop the Company from disciplining a crew that declines to answer? Are there any protections? I'm asking because I honestly don't know and have no idea where to find out. Who is in charge of the program? Are all the observers non-members?

Tuck 06-15-2014 09:10 AM

SMS so it's a safety program or part of flight ops?

4A2B 06-15-2014 10:26 AM


Originally Posted by Tuck (Post 1665124)
Where's the info on the program? On PFC somewhere? If it's part of SMS then where is that in writing? What's to stop the Company from disciplining a crew that declines to answer? Are there any protections? I'm asking because I honestly don't know and have no idea where to find out. Who is in charge of the program? Are all the observers non-members?

All good questions and from what I know it changes daily, first based primarily on the ALPA Grievance and FAA not happy with Check Airman doing these QA rides and now with the new FO squadron who knows what they do. I suggest asking your Fleet Captain where to find out the program details and SOP.

As for giving them a ride, I think the part of where they sit or maybe not go at all is up to the Captain just like any PIC Authority decision when it comes to seats in the Cockpit (all 121.583 seats, like all in 767/777).

moondoggie11 06-15-2014 10:34 AM

Interesting idea. Wonder what denying QA Observers the J/S across the fleet might yield...to facilitate their enjoyment of the summer, of course.:D


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:49 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright 2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands