Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #1  
Working weekends
Thread Starter
 
satpak77's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: Left Seat
Posts: 2,210
Default G-1000 questions

Hey guys

1. When the G1000 database expires, do the screens/charts go blank or do they stay alive but the onus is on the pilot to not use them. Aka Proline 21, GNS-XLS, etc database. Database expired, but they still "work"

2. Has the problem of unable to fly a ATC or pilot defined nonpublished holding pattern still exist ? I seem to recall hearing a "software update" was pending on this.
satpak77 is offline  
Old 03-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
bozobigtop's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2009
Position: Left seat of a Jet
Posts: 511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by satpak77 View Post
Hey guys

1. When the G1000 database expires, do the screens/charts go blank or do they stay alive but the onus is on the pilot to not use them. Aka Proline 21, GNS-XLS, etc database. Database expired, but they still "work"

2. Has the problem of unable to fly a ATC or pilot defined nonpublished holding pattern still exist ? I seem to recall hearing a "software update" was pending on this.

I have had some units go through the self-test informing us the data was expired or when you load a SID, Arrival, Approach or stored Route it may not recognize the material. If you were using it to go direct to some waypoint this portion may work VFR. I have never seen a screen or charts go blank in which be aware some Garmin units are the first defense of a up coming TFR your neighborhood FSS/ATC has not told you about. I don't recall NO. 2 at all. If our database was expired we would MEL it and go VFR. Hope this helps! Personally I feel naked without my Garmin.
bozobigtop is offline  
Old 03-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #3  
Line Holder
 
yesyou's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2010
Position: right seat
Posts: 34
Default

It will not go blank. The expired database can still be used for enroute navigation but cannot be used for Instrument approaches (ie, GPS approaches).
yesyou is offline  
Old 03-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #4  
Line Holder
 
IdahoFlyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2010
Posts: 88
Default

1. It depends on the expired database. Expired data remains viewable on certain databases like nav data and terrain. Chart data and safe taxi are viewable for a certain amount of time after expiration, but after this time period (a couple of weeks I believe) the charts are no longer viewable.
2. User defined holds are programmable on the latest software version (don't know the number). The revision came out with the new G1000 equipped Seneca V and is supposed to be available for any G1000 installation soon.
IdahoFlyer is offline  
Old 03-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Ziggy's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Sofa Stress Tester
Posts: 589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoFlyer View Post
1. It depends on the expired database. Expired data remains viewable on certain databases like nav data and terrain. Chart data and safe taxi are viewable for a certain amount of time after expiration, but after this time period (a couple of weeks I believe) the charts are no longer viewable.
2. User defined holds are programmable on the latest software version (don't know the number). The revision came out with the new G1000 equipped Seneca V and is supposed to be available for any G1000 installation soon.
How do you program the hold in the new version?
Ziggy is offline  
Old 03-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
mojo6911's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2007
Posts: 453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyou View Post
It will not go blank. The expired database can still be used for enroute navigation but cannot be used for Instrument approaches (ie, GPS approaches).
You can use an expired db for approaches, if you verify the procedures haven't changed. This is part 91. 135, refer to ops specs.
mojo6911 is offline  
Old 03-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #7  
Flying Farmer
 
Ewfflyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's
Posts: 3,159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
How do you program the hold in the new version?
Looking forward to this capability. Guessing that it would be through the FPL page, but like I said this is a guess.
Ewfflyer is offline  
Old 03-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Senior Skipper's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: the correct seat
Posts: 1,414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoFlyer View Post
2. User defined holds are programmable on the latest software version (don't know the number). The revision came out with the new G1000 equipped Seneca V and is supposed to be available for any G1000 installation soon.
About time!

I've always thought the inability to define a hold was the Achilles heel of the G1000. I wonder why it took them so long to do it.
Senior Skipper is offline  
Old 03-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
mojo6911's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2007
Posts: 453
Default

Can you load airways directly now? That was another drawback. In our G1000 with old software, you have to load VOR to VOR and simulate the airway.
mojo6911 is offline  
Old 03-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #10  
Flying Farmer
 
Ewfflyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's
Posts: 3,159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo6911 View Post
Can you load airways directly now? That was another drawback. In our G1000 with old software, you have to load VOR to VOR and simulate the airway.
At least the last 2-3 years I was able to do it in TBM's and PA-46's. FPL, load a valid waypoint or for, then hit menu, 'load airway'
Ewfflyer is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ASA/XJT Interview Stratapilot Regional 685 02-21-2012 07:00 PM
NASA job... 1000 PIC Jet req cessnapilot Hangar Talk 9 11-17-2011 07:36 AM
Some questions about training, 121, 61, 141 cloudseer Flight Schools and Training 2 07-12-2011 05:51 PM
So Many Questions, Where To Begin? rvrabel2002 Career Questions 10 01-16-2011 07:01 PM
General aviation training and schooling questions Cosmik Flight Schools and Training 9 02-08-2007 07:21 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:26 AM.