Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Major
Continental interview from a job fair?? >

Continental interview from a job fair??

Notices
Major Legacy, National, and LCC

Continental interview from a job fair??

Old 08-30-2007, 09:10 AM
  #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
captscott26's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: A320 CA
Posts: 944
Default Continental interview from a job fair??

Just wondering if any non-military guys have gotten a call from CAL from the Air Inc job fair. I do have several internal recs, but Im a 135 guy and they seem to lean towards folks with 121 pic.
captscott26 is offline  
Old 08-30-2007, 09:56 AM
  #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
IndyAir Guy's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2005
Posts: 206
Default

It took me 3 years to get an interview. I went to 4 job fairs, and have family and a best friend that fly there. I had 3 internal pilot recs who 2 flew with me. Over 5K flt. time, over 2.5K 121 PIC jet, and heavy experience. For some like me it takes a while and for others its fast. I would pic luck over flight time any day.
IndyAir Guy is offline  
Old 08-30-2007, 06:31 PM
  #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Free Flyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B777 FO/IRO
Posts: 263
Default

Plenty have gotten calls from Air Inc. meetings, myself included. I had no internal recs at all but almost all 121 time. You never know unless you try!
Free Flyer is offline  
Old 08-30-2007, 06:37 PM
  #4  
Smells like teen spirit
 
scrapdog's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Mil and Civ
Posts: 149
Default

Originally Posted by captscott26 View Post
Just wondering if any non-military guys have gotten a call from CAL from the Air Inc job fair. I do have several internal recs, but Im a 135 guy and they seem to lean towards folks with 121 pic.
121 time doesn't matter a bit. They know your military time is quality time. I had 1100 hours turbine PIC (fighter) and not one lick of 121 time. Put app in Jan and called for Interview in Oct. Hired in Nov. 1 internal rec.
scrapdog is offline  
Old 08-31-2007, 08:09 AM
  #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Aug 2007
Posts: 451
Default

Originally Posted by scrapdog View Post
121 time doesn't matter a bit. They know your military time is quality time. I had 1100 hours turbine PIC (fighter) and not one lick of 121 time. Put app in Jan and called for Interview in Oct. Hired in Nov. 1 internal rec.

Scrap, I don't think you read his post correctly.. He has no military time and is flying 135 (FAR part 135, not KC-135), so he has no 121 experience. I don't think that's a no-go, but having some 121 time will most definitely help his cause since he's non-mil.

In any case, the job fair might help ya out. Several people have gotten called after job fairs, though most that I have heard of did have 121 time. I know of a few people here that had no 121 pic time, but had 135 pic time and still had some 121 in their logbooks, too.

Good luck.
Spicy McHaggis is offline  
Old 08-31-2007, 08:46 AM
  #6  
Can't abide NAI
 
Bucking Bar's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Douglas Aerospace post production Flight Test & Work Around Engineering bulletin dissembler
Posts: 11,351
Default

I went to a job fair, was told my resume was too complicated, but that my qualifications were great and I could expect a call soon. No call was forthcoming.

Friends have told me the trick is to go talk to a Chief Pilot and get him to send an e-mail to the recruiters. One friend literally jumpseated to Newark, walked in without an appointment and he has been at CAL for a couple of years now.
Bucking Bar is offline  
Old 08-31-2007, 09:07 AM
  #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Aug 2007
Posts: 451
Default

Originally Posted by Bucking Bar View Post
One friend literally jumpseated to Newark, walked in without an appointment and he has been at CAL for a couple of years now.

I think I know that guy.. former ASA?
Spicy McHaggis is offline  
Old 08-31-2007, 10:59 AM
  #8  
Can't abide NAI
 
Bucking Bar's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Douglas Aerospace post production Flight Test & Work Around Engineering bulletin dissembler
Posts: 11,351
Default

Actually there are a couple of former ASA guys who did that manuever, but you are probably correct if you are thinking EWR. Continental hired some good folks, they are are all good pilots and easy to fly with.
Bucking Bar is offline  
Old 08-31-2007, 01:46 PM
  #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Slice's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Spartan
Posts: 3,227
Default

Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis View Post
Scrap, I don't think you read his post correctly.. He has no military time and is flying 135 (FAR part 135, not KC-135), so he has no 121 experience. I don't think that's a no-go, but having some 121 time will most definitely help his cause since he's non-mil.

In any case, the job fair might help ya out. Several people have gotten called after job fairs, though most that I have heard of did have 121 time. I know of a few people here that had no 121 pic time, but had 135 pic time and still had some 121 in their logbooks, too.

Good luck.
Apparently, reading comprehension isn't part of the hiring process. I have 4 recs on file for almost 2 years and knew one of the guys collecting resumes at the ATL job fair last year...still no love. 5000+TT, 1500+TPIC, 121/mil time...not that it matters for me anymore but I have no clue what the secret code is.
Slice is offline  
Old 08-31-2007, 01:55 PM
  #10  
Smells like teen spirit
 
scrapdog's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Mil and Civ
Posts: 149
Default

Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis View Post
Scrap, I don't think you read his post correctly.. He has no military time and is flying 135 (FAR part 135, not KC-135), so he has no 121 experience. I don't think that's a no-go, but having some 121 time will most definitely help his cause since he's non-mil.

In any case, the job fair might help ya out. Several people have gotten called after job fairs, though most that I have heard of did have 121 time. I know of a few people here that had no 121 pic time, but had 135 pic time and still had some 121 in their logbooks, too.

Good luck.
LOL - good point. Maybe I should pay a little more attention before I open my cakehole huh?
scrapdog is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
jetfuel4blood
Major
4
08-06-2007 08:17 AM
COTriple7
Major
0
07-19-2007 11:20 PM
Geronimo4497
Fractional
12
02-10-2006 11:34 AM
Calpilot
Major
0
07-28-2005 11:21 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread