Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Military (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/military/)
-   -   CBP Air Interdiction Agent (Pilot) (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/military/108466-cbp-air-interdiction-agent-pilot.html)

Grom1234 09-29-2017 02:38 PM

CBP Air Interdiction Agent (Pilot)
 
Do we have any current or former CBP guys on the forum? If we do I have a few questions...

How many hours do AIA's fly per month?
Best station assignments?
What is FLETC like?
Is the culture as bad as the forums make it out to be?
Would you recommend the career?
Is the future of AIA going to be more drone and less aircraft flying?

Thanks to those that reply.

kaputt 10-12-2017 11:32 AM

Of the locations that have openings, which ones have fixed wing platforms?

- Sierra Vista
- Yuma
- Grand Forks
- Aguadilla
- Alpine
- Corpus Christi
- Laredo
- McAllen

emersonbiguns 10-16-2017 09:46 AM


Originally Posted by Grom1234 (Post 2438566)
Is the culture as bad as the forums make it out to be?

Yes.

Not to mention the leadership, the mission, the aircraft, the hiring process, etc.

USMCFLYR 10-16-2017 03:20 PM


Originally Posted by emersonbiguns (Post 2448187)
Yes.

Not to mention the leadership, the mission, the aircraft, the hiring process, etc.

Do the pilots/crews not believe there is a need for airborne interdiction? :confused:

JamesNoBrakes 10-16-2017 08:53 PM


Originally Posted by USMCFLYR (Post 2448417)
Do the pilots/crews not believe there is a need for airborne interdiction? :confused:

That might be as simple as disagreeing with where the resources are placed and how they are used. Sometimes management fails to execute the mission or places unreasonable obstacles to completing it, or there aren't the resources to complete it. I'd have to imagine as drones get more commonly used (no fear of losing an asset other than the drone) it will change many of the factors at play. I think already flying an airplane low over the border is probably not the preferred way to get drugs in, most just load them up in cars and trucks and take them right past the checkpoint. Interdiction is definitely needed for fast movers, boats, etc., but as surveillance technology gets better, those will probably be utilized less and the more effective smuggling operations (tunnels, freaking catapults, drones, cars, mules, etc.) are probably maximized. If this is the case, then I think you might question how the mission is executed at the least, if it's not flexible to meet the changing environment.

I'm curious as well though to know what was meant by that.

USMCFLYR 10-17-2017 03:26 AM


Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes (Post 2448659)
That might be as simple as disagreeing with where the resources are placed and how they are used. Sometimes management fails to execute the mission or places unreasonable obstacles to completing it, or there aren't the resources to complete it. I'd have to imagine as drones get more commonly used (no fear of losing an asset other than the drone) it will change many of the factors at play. I think already flying an airplane low over the border is probably not the preferred way to get drugs in, most just load them up in cars and trucks and take them right past the checkpoint. Interdiction is definitely needed for fast movers, boats, etc., but as surveillance technology gets better, those will probably be utilized less and the more effective smuggling operations (tunnels, freaking catapults, drones, cars, mules, etc.) are probably maximized. If this is the case, then I think you might question how the mission is executed at the least, if it's not flexible to meet the changing environment.

I'm curious as well though to know what was meant by that.

I can see some of that.....but much of what you said isn't disagreeing with the mission as much as how that mission in executed.

Some of this comes from the troops in the dirt which often has to be given a little sideways glance. Just because the Private doesn't understand why they have to take that building, doesn't mean that it's not important to take that building.

CBP has certainly taken a hit in the past few years. I ran into another of their former pilots on the road last week. He echoes most of what was said here in past threads.

RCpilot2018 12-08-2017 12:38 PM

To All:
This program is dying at an alarming rate. HQ management, who some people call "Senior Leadership", is utterly clueless when it comes to taking care of the field.
I used to be such an advocate of this program. Now, I highly encourage others to go to the airlines. This job is NOT what it used to be and has evolved into something not worth pursuing. This is a result of putting non pilot types, with chips on their shoulders, in charge professional pilots. PERIOD!!
With that said, if your are only a helo bubba with only aspirations of flying helicopters, this could be a career for you. Perfect for retired army types. If you do want to work for CBP, do whatever you can do to stay away from any NASO office. The MQ9 has taken over with the most inept management in charge.
God help us.
C550, H60, AS350, P3 and MQ9 driver.

Edwashere 01-06-2018 11:20 AM


Originally Posted by RCpilot2018 (Post 2480049)
To All:
This program is dying at an alarming rate. HQ management, who some people call "Senior Leadership", is utterly clueless when it comes to taking care of the field.
I used to be such an advocate of this program. Now, I highly encourage others to go to the airlines. This job is NOT what it used to be and has evolved into something not worth pursuing. This is a result of putting non pilot types, with chips on their shoulders, in charge professional pilots. PERIOD!!
With that said, if your are only a helo bubba with only aspirations of flying helicopters, this could be a career for you. Perfect for retired army types. If you do want to work for CBP, do whatever you can do to stay away from any NASO office. The MQ9 has taken over with the most inept management in charge.
God help us.
C550, H60, AS350, P3 and MQ9 driver.

If you don’t mind me asking, how long have you been working for cpb? I’m a retired army pilot now working for Air Methods it I’m looking for stability. What is the first years pay really?

WacoQCF 01-06-2018 12:45 PM

I worked for CBP OAM for 8 years in the NE and SE regions - I no longer endorse OAM as a good destination.

First year pay is about $85k including all pay and extras. You will top about $120k and work 5 on/2 off with a max of 8 hours of vacation for every pay period (80 hours).

There are way better places to fly, simply.

RCpilot2018 01-06-2018 01:47 PM


Originally Posted by Edwashere (Post 2497094)
If you don’t mind me asking, how long have you been working for cpb? I’m a retired army pilot now working for Air Methods it I’m looking for stability. What is the first years pay really?

I'm in year 12. Yes, it is stable. This is only because you are a federal employee / agent. I have on the proverbial "Golden Handcuffs" and am here only for the LEO pension. That's it!
First year pay rest of US is GS11 plus locality and leap=76,522
Second year GS 12 = 91,718
Third year GS 13 =109,065
Like I said, this is just about perfect for army types. The AS350 will be your life. If you have significant time in airplanes look else where!
Before my retirement, I strongly believe that Air & Marine will be dissolved into the BP.

kingair04 02-11-2018 09:58 PM

if you like flying this...
https://www.sciencedaily.com/images/..._1_900x600.jpg

Current feeling at CBP...
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/074...G?v=1516939760

Hope this explains CBP AMO and I've been with them for 20+ years

RPAeyes 02-12-2018 11:19 AM

CBP Sensor operator for UAS
 
Quick question for CBP pilots. I spent 6yrs in the AF as a sensor / payload operator on Preds and Reaper UAS platforms. I attended a hiring fair for CBP and the recruiter talked me up about how much CBP is using their UAS in the field and how my military experience would be a fit. I'm currently working as a contractor for GA for UAS missions OCONUS. Money is good and I have great down time, but I'm a little burned out on spending so much time in the box.

Long story short, I applied for a aviation enforcement agent position I've passed the polygraph, passed background and just took my drug test and other physical. My question for you CBP pilots is, what's my chance of ever getting into a real airplane or maybe even a helicopter? I do hold a commercial single/multi engine license and someday hope to fly for a cargo or charter outfit.

Does CBP ever allow the sensor guys to fly, provided they are licensed pilots? Coming from a UAS background, I know full well the weather limitations on the UAS, so my question is what do CBP agents do on non flying days? I'm still waiting on my final official job offer, and I don't know when I would be attending the CBP academy.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to learn about the job. I've read every post on this site about the CBP pilots, but there is no mention about the sensor agent.

kingair04 02-14-2018 07:32 PM

let me try and answer these:

1-Does CBP ever allow the sensor guys to fly, provided they are licensed pilots?
yes they will fly a cessna 206 or astar.

2-Coming from a UAS background, I know full well the weather limitations on the UAS, so my question is what do CBP agents do on non flying days?
collateral duties, go fly manned aircraft or patrol with USBP

3-I'm still waiting on my final official job offer, and I don't know when I would be attending the CBP academy.
about 3-4 months

emersonbiguns 02-18-2018 07:23 AM


Originally Posted by kingair04 (Post 2528802)
1-Does CBP ever allow the sensor guys to fly, provided they are licensed pilots?
yes they will fly a cessna 206 or astar.

Or sit around and watch Netflix.



Originally Posted by RPAeyes (Post 2526543)
Sorry for the long post, just trying to learn about the job.

Avoid it like the plague. Max out your rotations/$ and invest in flight time and certifications, then go to a regional and move on up.

Leadership in the organization is reaching a level of incompetence the is epic even for the government.

emersonbiguns 02-18-2018 07:29 AM


Originally Posted by USMCFLYR (Post 2448417)
Do the pilots/crews not believe there is a need for airborne interdiction? :confused:

No, that's not the issue. The problem with the mission is how supervision executes it... And how the mission really isn't what it's about anymore. It has become nothing more than a flying hour program. More hours and less people, used ineffectively leads to colossal frustration.

RPAeyes 02-18-2018 06:07 PM

Thanks for the input

WacoQCF 02-19-2018 07:03 AM

Let me also provide a NON-endorsement for CBP OAM. Avoid it.

Keep those recruiters honest - most of them are Boat drivers and Enforcement Agents. Most of the Pilots have resigned from recruiting.

If you want to fly airplanes, DO NOT accept an AEA position. The former reply was incorrect on you flying an AStar or Cessna 206 on your non flying days. You may be inside an AStar or other aircraft, but the likelihood of you logging any pilot time (legally) is near zero. The only “quality” flight time out there is the DHC-8 and that will get you a regional pilot job.

Management took a great and effective organization and made it a competition to burn flight hours. Hours, not enforcement stats, is the goal. Nearly every Pilot I know at CBP is wearing retirement handcuffs & not happy about sticking around. Nearly every AEA I know with a Pilots license is trying to get stick time or a AIA conversion- and not being picked up.

Don’t go CBP in this Pilot hiring window. Honest advice for your flying career.

kaputt 02-19-2018 01:51 PM


Originally Posted by WacoQCF (Post 2532104)
Nearly every AEA I know with a Pilots license is trying to get stick time or a AIA conversion- and not being picked up.

Interesting. Why aren't they getting picked up? It seems CBP is hurting for pilots. Are they also hurting for AEAs and don't want to cannibalize?

Also where are the new MEA King Air 350s being placed? Are any of them going to the Southern Border, specifically any of the places that are hiring?

RPAeyes 02-19-2018 04:01 PM


Originally Posted by WacoQCF (Post 2532104)
Nearly every AEA I know with a Pilots license is trying to get stick time or a AIA conversion- and not being picked up.

If the agency is hurting for pilots, why wouldn't they promote from within? If there's AEA's who meet the license requirements and have the hours, why doesn't CBP make them pilots? I can understand the agency not allowing a low time guy to fly your Dash-8 or UH60, but what about the C206?, after all it's a Cessna

I'm still waiting to hear from the hiring center when and if I get the job

Clue32 02-20-2018 02:46 AM


Originally Posted by RPAeyes (Post 2532444)
If the agency is hurting for pilots, why wouldn't they promote from within? If there's AEA's who meet the license requirements and have the hours, why doesn't CBP make them pilots? I can understand the agency not allowing a low time guy to fly your Dash-8 or UH60, but what about the C206?, after all it's a Cessna

I'm still waiting to hear from the hiring center when and if I get the job

Terrific question and the answer lies in the Reagan Building. The Border Patrol used to make their own pilots. Ten-or-so years ago OAM / AMO would hire FW only folks, assign them to mixed bases, and send them to get their RW cert.

In 2013 we had a HSI agent in Laredo (Former Regional Pilot w/ FWME ATP), who wanted to stay in Laredo for family reasons, apply for a DHS only AIA announcement. This is about the same time OAM was pushing for better investigative programs with in the agency. He was turned down because he wasn't dual rated. That made no sense. He left DHS to investigate mail fraud.

Not long there after the Deputy AC was in town, a non-pilot former Customs AEA, and he said that new AIA's needed to pay their dues before joining OAM. Terrible philosophy considering how successful the USBP program was.

RPAeyes 02-22-2018 05:28 AM

Wow, the hiring center called, I got the job, but WTF I have to start the training academy next week, that's not much time. 5 days notice, what kinda operation is this? The AF & GA has always given more notice than 5 days. The lady on the phone said they had a seat open up, and if I want the job to take it.

Gotta be honest, this isn't a great first impression, 4 days to get stuff squared away and then travel across country.

DustoffVT 02-22-2018 11:09 AM


Originally Posted by RPAeyes (Post 2534349)
Wow, the hiring center called, I got the job, but WTF I have to start the training academy next week, that's not much time. 5 days notice, what kinda operation is this? The AF & GA has always given more notice than 5 days. The lady on the phone said they had a seat open up, and if I want the job to take it.

Gotta be honest, this isn't a great first impression, 4 days to get stuff squared away and then travel across country.

Broken is the only word. Welcome, but be prepared for such treatment to continue.

emersonbiguns 02-23-2018 10:17 AM


Originally Posted by RPAeyes (Post 2534349)
Gotta be honest, this isn't a great first impression, 4 days to get stuff squared away and then travel across country.

What office were you hired into? What position, AIA or AEA?

If you don't think your initial impression is very good, you'll need to lower your expectations.

Grom1234 02-23-2018 09:20 PM

Well, from the feedback on this board it sounds like my "dream job" is really a nightmare. I have talked with 3 CBP AIA face to face (2 helo, 1FW) so far and they made the job sound great. Granted they were actively recruiting pilots. If it as bad as it sounds at CBP maybe the Regional route is the best after all. Bummer really.

rickair7777 02-24-2018 05:56 AM


Originally Posted by Grom1234 (Post 2535742)
Well, from the feedback on this board it sounds like my "dream job" is really a nightmare. I have talked with 3 CBP AIA face to face (2 helo, 1FW) so far and they made the job sound great. Granted they were actively recruiting pilots. If it as bad as it sounds at CBP maybe the Regional route is the best after all. Bummer really.

If you want to be an airline pilot, yes regionals.

If you want to be a federal LEO, then maybe it would enhance your app to other agencies.

RPAeyes 02-24-2018 04:35 PM

I turned down the job offer. I jist dont think giving a person only 4 days notice is right. More importantly it would not give me enough time to outprocess and clear General Atomics. GA has been very good to me and I feel a proper 2 weeks notice is the right thing to do. Maybe next time. I told the hiring center, Id still like to have the job, but a little more advanced notice would be apperciated.

emersonbiguns 02-24-2018 05:33 PM


Originally Posted by RPAeyes (Post 2536279)
I turned down the job offer.

Probably a good decision.



Originally Posted by RPAeyes (Post 2536279)
Id still like to have the job, but a little more advanced notice would be apperciated.

Try to remember that advanced notice won't change the state of the organization. What you experienced was only one of the many, more minor, manifestations of an incredibly broken organization.

RPAeyes 02-24-2018 06:20 PM

I was a little surprised by the hiring centers answer when I inquiried about the next training date. The reply given to me was “it depends if we can fill another class”

emersonbiguns 02-25-2018 04:46 AM


Originally Posted by RPAeyes (Post 2536369)
I was a little surprised by the hiring centers answer when I inquiried about the next training date. The reply given to me was “it depends if we can fill another class”

Just last summer the situation was pretty dire. People that had waited years to be hired were waiting even longer for a FLETC class. They were being pushed each time they filled a class and then one or two candidates would throw their hands up, give up on the wait and AMO would have to cancel the class again.

This wouldn't have been a problem 15-20 years ago, prior to the hostile takeover, when it was done more intelligently. New hires were given generic federal LE training in two different curriculums CEBS and then CITP. Graduates came out with all the requirements to do many things within the US Customs Service. AMO decided to build their own training, has done a pretty disappointing job, can't fill classes and has many an instructor at FLETC teaching stuff they've never done.

But, look at the bright side, after you're done at FLETC you get to go to mandatory Spanish training. That way you'll be able to order tacos at the local roach coach in Spainglish.

RPAeyes 02-25-2018 06:21 AM

Im not going to be “black listed” from AMO for turning them down will I? I’d be happy to take the position, again if it just allowed me to give a proper 2 wks notice, put my belongings into storage and then report for training. I guess it would be prudent for me to contact the hiring center with this question, but shouldnt my poloygraph and physical be good for at least a year? Surely they will have another class, heck its pretty much an open announcement all year

DustoffVT 02-26-2018 08:01 AM


Originally Posted by RPAeyes (Post 2536626)
Im not going to be “black listed” from AMO for turning them down will I? I’d be happy to take the position, again if it just allowed me to give a proper 2 wks notice, put my belongings into storage and then report for training. I guess it would be prudent for me to contact the hiring center with this question, but shouldnt my poloygraph and physical be good for at least a year? Surely they will have another class, heck its pretty much an open announcement all year

Probably not. 10 years ago yes. Now CBP has trouble filling slots, they'll probably hold onto your number.

Grom1234 03-09-2018 10:14 PM

Just a question for the CBP guys on here, where are the good places to be stationed, if any? What are the stations to stay away from? Also, where can you fly the bigger airplane's like the king air's, Citation or pc12?

emersonbiguns 03-10-2018 07:48 AM


Originally Posted by Grom1234 (Post 2547503)
... where are the good places to be stationed, if any?

It depends on your desires.


Originally Posted by Grom1234 (Post 2547503)
What are the stations to stay away from?

Puerto Rico is a hole.


Originally Posted by Grom1234 (Post 2547503)
Also, where can you fly the bigger airplane's like the king air's, Citation or pc12?

Citations are pretty much dead. The organization has pretty much destroyed any hope of ever having a future for them.

The only place you'll see a real airplane as a new hire is Puerto Rico. That will be a Dash 8.

Grom1234 03-10-2018 06:34 PM

[QUOTE=emersonbiguns;2547727]It depends on your desires.

To fly as much as possible and not live in a terrible area.

emersonbiguns 03-11-2018 12:19 AM


Originally Posted by Grom1234 (Post 2548170)
To fly as much as possible and not live in a terrible area.

If PR, McAllen, TX or Laredo, TX are terrible, then you're out of luck.

Or you could get really lucky and get sent to fly the Pred in ND...

Grom1234 03-27-2018 12:49 PM


Originally Posted by emersonbiguns (Post 2548268)
If PR, McAllen, TX or Laredo, TX are terrible, then you're out of luck.

Or you could get really lucky and get sent to fly the Pred in ND...


Anyone have any input on living at any of these bases?
-McAllen
-Laredo
-Sierra Vista
-Yuma
-Deming
-Alpine

emersonbiguns 03-27-2018 06:38 PM


Originally Posted by Grom1234 (Post 2559958)
Anyone have any input on living at any of these bases?
-McAllen
-Laredo
-Sierra Vista
-Yuma
-Deming
-Alpine

What's important to you? "Input" is subjective. If you don't provide any supporting information, it's really tough to give you any sort of meaningful help.

Sierra Vista is the least sucky of them all, but you will be a Pred guy and won't get any real aircraft time for years.

Grom1234 03-27-2018 06:52 PM


Originally Posted by emersonbiguns (Post 2560170)
What's important to you? "Input" is subjective. If you don't provide any supporting information, it's really tough to give you any sort of meaningful help.

Sierra Vista is the least sucky of them all, but you will be a Pred guy and won't get any real aircraft time for years.

What is the local area is like?
Cost of living?
Crime?
Schools?
Recreation?

Why would you live there or not?

Would you move your family there?

Those are the kinds of questions I am trying to answer.

emersonbiguns 03-27-2018 08:04 PM


Originally Posted by Grom1234 (Post 2560180)
What is the local area is like?
Cost of living?
Crime?
Schools?
Recreation?

Google is your friend.
Go to GoogleMaps and look at Alpine, Texas... tell me what you think.


Originally Posted by Grom1234 (Post 2560180)
Why would you live there or not?

Sierra Vista is the only possibility, but no way if it required me to give up flying, for the Pred.



Originally Posted by Grom1234 (Post 2560180)
Would you move your family there?

No, to every option.


Where do you currently live? Where have you lived previously? What do(did) like and dislike about each? What's important to you? What kind of recreation do you like? Do you need culture? Or just wide open spaces? Do you like heat? Humidity? Are you and your family Spanish speakers? etc, etc, etc.

USMCFLYR 03-28-2018 04:26 AM

I would have no problem living in Yuma, AZ.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:45 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands