Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Part 135 IFR Checkride

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 08:44 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2017
Default Part 135 IFR Checkride

Hi Everybody,

I have a few questions about the 135.293 and 135.299 check rides. The aircraft is a multi-engine turbine turboprop. Does the check ride consist of a written, oral, and flight portion? Is it all three or a combination of the three? What kind of check ride would you compare it to? CFI? Commercial? How long does the check ride usually take?

Thank you in advance.

pilotlyfe
Old 05-05-2017, 10:51 PM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Plan on an IFR checkride. Oral questions consist of regulations, company procedures, and especially operations specifications. Know your 91 and 135, OpSpecs, GOM. Know your aircraft proceures, IFR procedures. Plan on situational questions. Aircraft systems, limitations, memory items.

Checkrides are typically a visual takeoff, sometimes a departure, VFR maneuvering, steep turns, a stall, possibly slow flight with an engine out. Usually a shut down and restart, holding, a two-engine precision, single engine precision, single non-precision. Missed approach.

If it's a SIC checkride, you'll still need to demonstrate mastery of the aircraft. Unless you're being reviewed as a checkairman, you're not teaching, so it's not a CFI or instructor ride. It should be conducted to ATP standards.

Duration depends on the company procedures, check airman, number of people involved, your own proficiency and readiness, airspace congestion, etc. I've given 135 rides that took an hour and a half with minimal oral, and some that took all morning and into the afternoon. The difference was the applicant. The ride shouldn't be full of surprises and tricks; it should be conducted as a straight forward checkflight. I prefer to couch the questions in a scenario-based situation to give it some real-world application, typically associated with a theoretical flight. Some do, some don't.

Most checkrides I've had included about an hour for oral and hour to hour and a half of flight.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:56 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Based on what I can remember, you should have completed a ground school on the aircraft and would then be given a written test. Flight training in simulator or aircraft to follow and then a check.

The oral/flight test may be combined. I assume you are going to be a SIC?

You can probably expect the following for the FAR 135.297 (Instrument Competency Check). This can be substituted for the 135.293 (Competency Check SIC).

1. All Engine ILS with missed approach
2. One S/E ILS to a landing
3. 2 non-precision approaches
4. Holding
5. Stalls
6. Steep turns
7. Single/Engine work

135.299 is a line check which is one flight, one route, one airport and usually combined with the 135.293, 135.297

I would expect the oral portion to be around 30-45 minutes. It would cover limitations, memory items and systems questions + performance (W&B)
Check-ride would be around 1:30 mins- 2:00 hrs.

FAA FSIMS under document 8900.1 under Volume 5 has information on Airman Certification.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:56 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2014

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
Plan on an IFR checkride. Oral questions consist of regulations, company procedures, and especially operations specifications. Know your 91 and 135, OpSpecs, GOM. Know your aircraft proceures, IFR procedures. Plan on situational questions. Aircraft systems, limitations, memory items.

Checkrides are typically a visual takeoff, sometimes a departure, VFR maneuvering, steep turns, a stall, possibly slow flight with an engine out. Usually a shut down and restart, holding, a two-engine precision, single engine precision, single non-precision. Missed approach.

If it's a SIC checkride, you'll still need to demonstrate mastery of the aircraft. Unless you're being reviewed as a checkairman, you're not teaching, so it's not a CFI or instructor ride. It should be conducted to ATP standards.

Duration depends on the company procedures, check airman, number of people involved, your own proficiency and readiness, airspace congestion, etc. I've given 135 rides that took an hour and a half with minimal oral, and some that took all morning and into the afternoon. The difference was the applicant. The ride shouldn't be full of surprises and tricks; it should be conducted as a straight forward checkflight. I prefer to couch the questions in a scenario-based situation to give it some real-world application, typically associated with a theoretical flight. Some do, some don't.

Most checkrides I've had included about an hour for oral and hour to hour and a half of flight.
Do you really mean the engine shut down? Or just simulated? Thanks Dave
Old 05-07-2017, 07:58 PM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by aa010175 View Post
Do you really mean the engine shut down? Or just simulated? Thanks Dave
Feathered at a minimum, but I prefer a shut down and restart.

If it's piston equipment and you're feathering, you're shutting it down.

Approaches are flown with the engine operating at zero thrust (simulates shut down and feathered). There should be reference in your training program manual about the zero thrust settings for training, for the aircraft you'll be flying.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:28 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post

It's conducted to the standards that are required for the 135 operation.

The flight can require 4 approaches, depending on installed equipment, in addition to other tasks, this can string it out quite a bit depending on ATC and the check pilot efficiency if you're doing it in an aircraft. Also, to cover the areas required by the regulation in the oral is probably more than 30 minutes for sure, maybe an hour if the guy is right on top of everything, but to evaluate the areas hopefully more than just one question is being asked. It is up to the discretion of the check pilot though and the overseeing POI.

Good information in Volume 3, Chapter 19, Section 7, of the 8900.1 order.