Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Part 135 age limit

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 03:21 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2014
Default Part 135 age limit

Im older, late 50’s pushing 60, yet in great physical shape and I hear about the great pilot shortage every day, yet I wonder if I wanted to fly part 135, would the insurance companies ruin my fun regardless of what shape im in, would I face age discrimination?
Old 10-24-2022, 03:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2017

Originally Posted by PROFILECLIMB View Post
Im older, late 50’s pushing 60, yet in great physical shape and I hear about the great pilot shortage every day, yet I wonder if I wanted to fly part 135, would the insurance companies ruin my fun regardless of what shape im in, would I face age discrimination?
I can't tell if this is a joke or serious. If you can hold a first class medical you'll easily find a job flying 135 as long as you meet the 135 PIC minimums. In my last 135 job there were guys flying above age 70. Now granted you might not get a job on a high paying business jet with zero experience but the entry level 135 jobs (cargo, Pilatus, light jets) will take you.
Old 10-24-2022, 03:31 PM
All is fine at .79

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot

Insurance companies in random order care about
  • Time in type
  • Total time
  • Accidents/incidents
  • Violations/ suspensions
  • DUI/DOT test failures
Doesn’t matter if you’re 30 or 60.
Old 10-25-2022, 04:41 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by bamike View Post
I can't tell if this is a joke or serious. If you can hold a first class medical you'll easily find a job flying 135 as long as you meet the 135 PIC minimums. In my last 135 job there were guys flying above age 70. Now granted you might not get a job on a high paying business jet with zero experience but the entry level 135 jobs (cargo, Pilatus, light jets) will take you.
For some 135 Companies you don't even need a 1st Class all you need is a 2nd Class Medical. Additionally some Companies will hire you without 135 PIC minimums as you will be hired as a SIC.
Old 10-25-2022, 03:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: single-pilot multi turbine captain

I know air ambulance outfits in Alaska have had trouble with insurance/bond for Lear Kapitans when they hit 70 - so they went to the right seat. And really, we gotta hang it up eventually.
Old 10-25-2022, 05:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

The only age restriction we have at Ameriflight is if you are over 65 then you can't fly international runs because of ICAO rules. We have a few pilots who are in their low to mid 70s. As long as they can maintain a 2nd class medical and pass a check ride...
Old 11-06-2022, 09:29 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2016

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
The only age restriction we have at Ameriflight is if you are over 65 then you can't fly international runs because of ICAO rules. We have a few pilots who are in their low to mid 70s. As long as they can maintain a 2nd class medical and pass a check ride...
I tried to attach the actual memo but the APC gods frowned, and I don't remember where I found it, so I cut and paste. Interested on the take of others.

Carlos Gomez
Office of the Chief Counsel
5820 Miami Lakes Drive East
Miami Lakes, FL 33014
800 Independence Ave., S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20591
Re: Applicability of pilot age limitations to operations conducted under
14 CFR parts 125 and 135
Dear Mr. Gomez:
This letter is provided in response to your request for a legal interpretation sent to me on
September 24, 2014. In your request for a legal interpretation, you sought to clarify the pilot
age limitations applicable to domestic and international operations conducted under parts
125 and 135 of title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR).
Specifically, you state, "This letter is to request legal interpretation regarding International
Flights conducted out of South Florida into the Caribbean with our Part 125 Air Operator
and our Pait 135 Air Carrier operations." Although you further question whether you may
use pilots in your part 125 and 135 international operations that do not comply with "FAA
8900.l Volume 12, ICAO Annex 1 2.1.10 and Bahamas CAA Subpart B-14.020-Age 65
Restriction .. . " it appears that you are seeking specific information regarding pilot age
limitations applicable to the pati 125 and pati 135 operations you conduct. Accordingly,
this response addresses the pilot age limitations applicable to those operations and enforced
by the Federal Aviation Administration. 1
Operations conducted under paiis 125 and 135 must comply with the operating rules of the
applicable part. Additional limitations on those operations when using a U.S. registered
aircraft outside of the U.S. may be found in subpart Hof pati 91. None of these parts,
however, contain applicable pilot age limitations. Rather, pilot age limitations applicable to
ce1iain pati 125 and 13 5 operations can be found in pati 61.
1 Although operations conducted under parts 125 and 135 using U.S. registered aircraft must comply with the
regulations pertaining to the flight and maneuver of aircraft of the foreign country in which the operations take
place(§ 91.703(a)(2)), the FAA does not provide interpretations of the aviation rules of foreign countries. You
should contact the civil aviation authority of the Bahamas for interpretations of its aviation safety regulations.
Further, FAA Order 8900. l contains directives and guidance information for Aviation Safety Inspectors and
does not apply directly to regulated entities.
Part 61 provides pilot certification requirements as well as limitations regarding a pilot's use
of such certificate. Thus, pilots serving in part 125 or part 135 operations, while relying on
a certificate issued under pait 61, must also satisfy the requirements of pait 61.
Specifically, § 61.3(j) establishes age limitations for pilots serving in certain international
operations using aircraft of U.S. registry, consistent with the standards found in Standard
2.1.10 in Annex 1 (Personnel Licensing) to the Convention on International Civil Aviation.
Applying the requirements of this section, for single-pilot operations, no person may serve
as PIC if that person has reached 60 years of age. See§ 61.3(j)(2). For multi-pilot
operations, no person may serve as a pilot if that person has reached 65 years of age. See
§ 61.3(j)(l). Section 61.3(j)(2) also contains a requirement to pair a PIC who has reached
age 60 with a pilot under age 60. However, as explained in a recent Federal Register notice
the FAA is no longer enforcing this pilot pairing requirement. See 79 Fed. Reg. 67346
(Nov. 13, 2014). There are no pilot age limitations in title 14 for pilots serving in operations
conducted under pa11s 125 or 135 that remain within United States airspace for the entire the
flight.
The pait 61 pilot age limitations described above apply to pilots conducting operations using
an aircraft of U.S. registry if those operations reflect the characteristics in one of the
following paragraphs:
(i) Scheduled international air services carrying passengers in turbojet powered
airplanes;
(ii) Scheduled international air services carrying passengers in airplanes having a
passenger-seat configuration of more than nine passenger seats, excluding each
crewmember seat;
(iii) Nonscheduled international air transpmtation for compensation or hire in
airplanes having a passenger-seat configuration of more than 30 passengers seats,
excluding each crewmember seat; or
(iv) Scheduled international air services, or nonscheduled international air
transportation for compensation or hire in airplanes having a payload capacity of
more than 7 ,500 pounds.
See§ 61.3(j)(l). The terms, "scheduled international air service" and "non-scheduled
international air transp011ation for compensation or hire" as used in § 61.3(j) include
operations that pass through the airspace over the tenitory of more than one country.
Accordingly,§ 61.3(j) applies to pilots conducting part 125 and 135 operations in U.S.
registered aircraft if the operational characteristics of the flight meet the characteristics
described in § 61.3(j)(l ). This means that a pilot who conducts a pait 125 or a pait 13 5
operation that depaits Nassau, Bahamas, and lands in Miami, Florida, must comply with the
pilot age limitations of§ 6 l.3(j) if the operational characteristics of the flight fall within one
of the paragraphs of§ 61.3(j)(l).
This response was prepared by Sara Mikolop, an attorney in the in the International Law,
Legislation, and Regulations Division of the Office of the Chief Counsel, and coordinated
with the International Programs and Policy and Air Transpmtation Divisions of the Flight
Standards Service. If you need further assistance, please contact my staff at (202) 267-3073 .
Old 11-06-2022, 05:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2018

Here is what you need to know.........Netjets has a MANDATORY retirement age at 70. As far as I know, no other 135 has this restriction. My first jet job was at 54
Old 11-06-2022, 08:39 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Originally Posted by followingdreams
Here is what you need to know.........Netjets has a MANDATORY retirement age at 70. As far as I know, no other 135 has this restriction. My first jet job was at 54
Ummmmm, no, sorry, they don’t. I wouldn’t say plenty over 70 here, but I believe we have 300+ out of ~2800 pilots over 65.
Old 11-07-2022, 02:56 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2019
Position: Poolside

Originally Posted by followingdreams View Post
Nice statement…and completely FALSE! One might even say “a lie”.