Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ops in freezing rain?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 05:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: Still Swinging props!
Default Ops in freezing rain?

I'm watching 1900's and MD80's operate into a field under freezing rain ATIS and METAR. What am I missing? I've been under the understanding that no airframe is certified for freezing rain, "light" or otherwise?

How does your operation teach landing at an airport with reported freezing rain?

Thanks,

Ronin
Old 03-16-2018, 05:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Downward Dog

Depends I guess.
The regional I fly for can fly in -FZRA.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007

What’s written in the GOM and what actually happens are two different things in the 135 world with us mail, ups and some fed ex feeders if that’s what your asking. People want their packages. Besides the FAA made it clear freight as a whole especially 135 freight is worthless and doesn’t need heavy regulations and certain benefits. Prime example...single pilot passenger flights (cape air 135) tiny piston twin counts as 121 time vs single pilot bigger heavier complex turboprop in all weather (135 freight) does not. See the problem...FAA only cares about passengers.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: Still Swinging props!

Hmm. Ok. It's weird, how things change in the span of a few years. When I started flying in AK, there was no 'FZRA'. Then there was, and we weren't supposed to be anywhere near it, 747 or 172.

-FZRA is ok some places, but FZRA is not? Where can I get more legal interp on this? Anyone know?

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2018, 06:44 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by Frozen Ronin View Post
Hmm. Ok. It's weird, how things change in the span of a few years. When I started flying in AK, there was no 'FZRA'. Then there was, and we weren't supposed to be anywhere near it, 747 or 172.

-FZRA is ok some places, but FZRA is not? Where can I get more legal interp on this? Anyone know?

Thanks!
Your company's GOM. It will list what's ok.
-FZRA is usually ok according to most GOM's...was ok at both 135 places I have worked.
FZRA and +FZRA were prohibited.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:15 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2006

-FZRA might be "ok" according to some carrier's Ops manuals, that is if exposure isn't prolonged or the intensity doesn't increase.

And there lies the problem in my opinion.

The weather reports, (ATIS, TAFS etc..) can all report "lite" freezing rain, but that is no assurance that the situation won't worsen by the time you are on approach or attempt to takeoff.

I've been in reported "lite" freezing rain on the approach, and by the time we landed and taxied to the ramp both the protected and unprotected parts of the plane had a solid coat of ice.

Fortunately the exposure was only for the last 10 miles of the approach, but I remember thinking no way that was "lite.

I was also slipping on the ramp doing the post flight. (No snow at all, just a wet icy coat on the ground)

Long story short, asses the conditions yourself regardless of the reports.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:10 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2012
Position: Pirate

For aircraft certified for flight into known ice under 4 CFR 23.1419, or 14 CFR 25.1419, freezing drizzle and freezing rain are outside the FAA certification requirements.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:12 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2013
Position: B-767 FO

From jets to a freight dog in a small piston, I have learned I am not going to fly into reported FZRA. If they're calling it light on the ground, do you really want to find out if they're right? I have watched a Learjet turn into a brick after getting into an unreported area of FZRA.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:16 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2017
Position: Freight Dog

Originally Posted by thefalken View Post
From jets to a freight dog in a small piston, I have learned I am not going to fly into reported FZRA. If they're calling it light on the ground, do you really want to find out if they're right? I have watched a Learjet turn into a brick after getting into an unreported area of FZRA.
LOL, that's me! Gonna be flying a light twin IFR air freight.
Might as well throw my LrJet type away.