Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Pay to Fly Programs (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/115452-pay-fly-programs.html)

cactusmike 08-01-2018 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by da42pilot (Post 2646863)
What perspective? I posted a question, not a perspective.

You don’t pay to work at a job,the job pays you. It’s that effing simple. If you pay to fly you are screwing yourself and every other professional out there. Do you pay to work at a bank, program computers, fix cars at a repair shop? I don’t think so.

Don’t be a dumbass. Find a job that pays you, like everyone else has. Low time? Instruct or fly banners. Drop skydivers, tow gliders.

Pay to fly just says you have no judgement, you are looking for a shortcut and you can’t be trusted to show respect for yourself or the profession. Can I make it any clearer?

baba70 08-02-2018 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by cactusmike (Post 2647391)
You don’t pay to work at a job,the job pays you. It’s that effing simple. If you pay to fly you are screwing yourself and every other professional out there. Do you pay to work at a bank, program computers, fix cars at a repair shop? I don’t think so.

Don’t be a dumbass. Find a job that pays you, like everyone else has. Low time? Instruct or fly banners. Drop skydivers, tow gliders.

Pay to fly just says you have no judgement, you are looking for a shortcut and you can’t be trusted to show respect for yourself or the profession. Can I make it any clearer?

Cactusmike, i like to believe we are all professionals on here and joined together by our mutual love of flying. It is clear by your post we all know where you stand on this "PTF" issue that has plagued our industry. Inferring the gentleman or lady who posed the question on behalf of a friend a "Dumbass" does not move the discuss in a positive direction.

Lets keep it civil my dear colleague. :)

Quarryman 08-03-2018 07:10 AM

Job fairs and resume / app review services are the new PFT.

LRSRanger 08-03-2018 07:47 AM

He’s right you know. Unless there’s some weird visa situation wherein he can pay to fly but can’t legally get a real job.

Originally Posted by baba70 (Post 2647798)
Cactusmike, i like to believe we are all professionals on here and joined together by our mutual love of flying. It is clear by your post we all know where you stand on this "PTF" issue that has plagued our industry. Inferring the gentleman or lady who posed the question on behalf of a friend a "Dumbass" does not move the discuss in a positive direction.

Lets keep it civil my dear colleague. :)

Smooth at FL450 08-03-2018 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by da42pilot (Post 2646863)
What perspective? I posted a question, not a perspective.

The perspective that a pay-to-fly scheme as "fallen victim". SMH...

ZippyNH 08-03-2018 08:29 AM

There are some programs still around...they don't compete with Americans trying to get jobs...they fly as copilots that only become a "required crew member" when assigned by dispatch, with wording that allows them to LEGALLY log the time with a letter from the FAA.
Eagle jet still places copilots in be-1900/sa-227 in various companies, with no chance of upgrade...it's a pay by the hour for the time situation, the go home with ATP mins, get a job...one Asian carrier actually pays for loan used to get the time once you get a job flying a a320/737 with them when you leave with 1500....
If you friend is willing and able to get a loan for $+ 75,000, and can support himself in the USA for 18+ months...it's a possibility...
But typically only for the well off.

loganeich 08-03-2018 12:31 PM

application services

I'm sort of surprised pay to apply services like the climbto350, airline apps, etc. still exist to find a job. I expect these to move to indeed or similar soon.

peaches 08-03-2018 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by loganeich (Post 2648367)
I'm sort of surprised pay to apply services like the climbto350, airline apps, etc. still exist to find a job. I expect these to move to indeed or similar soon.

Application services will never die out. I know plenty of employers that will not advertise on a free platform. They dont want someone to just copy and paste their resume to them off a list of companies.

They want to know you are serious and many of them feel that you paying $15/Month shows that you are more serious than stumbling upon a job on indeed.

All about appearances and how to play their game.

da42pilot 08-05-2018 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Smooth at FL450 (Post 2648197)
The perspective that a pay-to-fly scheme as "fallen victim". SMH...

That expression means nothing more than the pilot shortage killed them. I am not shedding any tears over it, in fact I’m quite glad they’re dead.

galaxy flyer 08-05-2018 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by da42pilot (Post 2649487)
That expression means nothing more than the pilot shortage killed them. I am not shedding any tears over it, in fact I’m quite glad they’re dead.

Then why are helping someone buy flight time rather than earn the time by demonstrated skill?

GF