Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

EagleMed Fixed Wing Info??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 04:54 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2015
Default EagleMed Fixed Wing Info??

Does anyone have current info on EagleMed and their fixed wing operation. I know they lost several helicopters in a short time which is concerning from an outsider. Any current info on issues, pay and qol would be appreciated.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:54 AM
On call

Joined APC: Jun 2013
Position: 757

None of the helo crashes were attributed to anything other than poor luck or planning. There could have been policies in place that could have prevented last years crash, but it also involved pilot error. Most, if not all helos have been transferred to sister companies anyway.

All planes, pilots and mechanics are still Eaglemed, although many bases will be under a different companies colors. I just left in FEB, and I was wearing Air Evac uniforms, but was employed by Eaglemed.

Pay is industry standard. 7 on, 7 off, 12 hr shifts. Excellent maintenance, mostly newer king Airs C90s, some 200s. Great health care benefits. 7 days paid vacation on first year, which really is 3 weeks since you work 7/7. Initial and annual training is done at FSI ICT. 6 mo currency checks are done in the plane. It was a hard decision for me to leave, as it really is an amazing company.

Just know that if you haven't flown an air ambulance gig before, it's a different world!

Last edited by bkey79; 05-11-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:11 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2015
Position: Wings and Leather

Great company. Absolutely no pressure to fly. Great crews, good pay, good equipment. And you just can't beat 7 on 7 off. Plenty of opportunities for overtime. And everything bkey79 says.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:53 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2015

Originally Posted by leardriver101 View Post
Great company. Absolutely no pressure to fly. Great crews, good pay, good equipment. And you just can't beat 7 on 7 off. Plenty of opportunities for overtime. And everything bkey79 says.
I've always been interested in eagle Med. What are the bases and its two man crew up front right?

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2016, 01:07 PM
On call

Originally Posted by newhire1234 View Post
I've always been interested in eagle Med. What are the bases and its two man crew up front right?

Thanks!

Single pilot. Well the New Orleans base is 2 pilot, but the rest are single pilot. I forget what the mins are, as it's more than 135 mins because of CAMTS requirements.

Eagle Med - When life's on the line, we're in the air.

Part 135 EMS, 2000 hours of PIC, including 500 hour of multi engine, 100 hours of night flight time and 100 hours of actual or simulated instrument time, at least 50 hours of which actual flight time, and minimum of 500 hours cross-country. ATP-MEL required, or ATP written completed and passed. Previous Part 135 experience preferred but not required.

Trying to remember the bases, but;

San Marcos TX
Houston TX
Lubbock TX
New Orleans LA
Popular Bluff MO
Grey Bull WY
Pensacola FL

About 5 bases is NE, 1 in KY, 1 in SC and another in OK
Old 05-11-2016, 01:25 PM
On call

And for those that are wanting to get into Air Ambo flying, be prepared to fly in all conditions, at all times of the day/night, single pilot to mins, landing at major airports with some of the worst smells/noises emitting from behind you. You will be the ground crew, pulling a/c out of hangars, fueling your own plane at the smallest of airports, checking your own weather and notams, filing your own flight plans, doing your own weight and balance, all from waking up from a dead sleep and getting airborne in 30 min. All this while being single pilot, with the possibility of having a destraught family member in the copilot seat.

Your crew will be dependent on you to know your ish. There isn't a real dispatch office, only someone that is asking if you can accept the flight. If you mess up, there isn't anyone to catch you.

Last edited by bkey79; 05-11-2016 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:18 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by bkey79 View Post
And for those that are wanting to get into Air Ambo flying, be prepared to fly in all conditions, at all times of the day/night, single pilot to mins, landing at major airports with some of the worst smells/noises emitting from behind you. You will be the ground crew, pulling a/c out of hangars, fueling your own plane at the smallest of airports, checking your own weather and notams, filing your own flight plans, doing your own weight and balance, all from waking up from a dead sleep and getting airborne in 30 min. All this while being single pilot, with the possibility of having a destraught family member in the copilot seat.

Your crew will be dependent on you to know your ish. There isn't a real dispatch office, only someone that is asking if you can accept the flight. If you mess up, there isn't anyone to catch you.

Thank you for the information! I'm currently 121 with no 135 or air ambulance experience. So I'm not sure what chance I have
Old 05-12-2016, 10:02 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Dream Job

You probably have a good chance. They are hurting for pilots. They are changing some bases schedules to 10/5 due to lack of pilots.

I would add one more thing to bkey's description. You must be able to get along with the med crew. You will live with them for 12 hours a day for a week at a time.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:02 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2015
Position: Wings and Leather

Tlove is correct on the 10/5....I would add that this is overtime and pays $150.00 above your day rate. Your day rate is your hourly rate times 12 hours. So depending on experience and what your negotiated pay is, it can be a lot of money. It's also voluntary. Yes... Voluntary. No absolute requirement to work it.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:13 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by leardriver101 View Post
Tlove is correct on the 10/5....I would add that this is overtime and pays $150.00 above your day rate. Your day rate is your hourly rate times 12 hours. So depending on experience and what your negotiated pay is, it can be a lot of money. It's also voluntary. Yes... Voluntary. No absolute requirement to work it.
What's the pay scale like if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks again!