Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Any Ferry Pilots Out There?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Back in school.
Default Any Ferry Pilots Out There?

Recently I was asked to ferry an airplane from TX to MN. I was slightly surprised by the request and now I don't know where to start. Is there a specific type of insurance that I should look into getting and what type of contract should I have? I admit I really don't how to organize and execute a ferry flight like this... any pointers.... or should I leave it to the professionals?

(I apologize for posting in this forum but I thought it was best suited here and not in the Majors category)
Old 06-06-2007, 03:50 PM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

I'd say AOPA would be a good resource. Personally I'd be 100% confident with the airplane before you do anything with it. I was young and dumb and did a ferry flight, while successful, didn't go as well as planned.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Lav

I am actually about to start doing some ferry flying in TX...out of Dallas. Looking forward to it....good time building.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:46 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2005

Originally Posted by belliott View Post
Recently I was asked to ferry an airplane from TX to MN. I was slightly surprised by the request and now I don't know where to start. Is there a specific type of insurance that I should look into getting and what type of contract should I have? I admit I really don't how to organize and execute a ferry flight like this... any pointers.... or should I leave it to the professionals?

(I apologize for posting in this forum but I thought it was best suited here and not in the Majors category)

I ferry aircraft for a local company where I live. They do modifications on beech bonanzas. I have about 800 hrs. in the different bonanza models so I have always been covered by their open pilot policy on their insurance. If you don't have a minimum of 25 hours in type, you will probably not be covered by the owners policy. A word of advice. Become very familiar with the particular aircraft you are about to get in and fly. Especially if you are going to get into IFR conditions. There are a diversity of panels in the same model of aircraft. It can be hard to figure out how to operate a totally new autopilot and gps while getting bumped around in the clouds and talking to atc.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar

Be sure the aircraft you are going to ferry is not beyond your experience levels. Make sure you can maintain VFR conditions as well, even if you are instrument rated.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Back in school.

I appreciate all of your responses. However, I recently discovered after fighting tooth and nail with the "new" owner of the aircraft that it is neither in annual or insured. That being said, in the contract sent to me stated that I was responsible for all "expenditures in direct relation to the reposition of the aircraft." I was also going to be held responsible for any weather delays in delivering the a/c. I am no one's servant.... so I told the "owner" to go screw himself.

Again... thank you for your words of advice... they are greatly appreciated and I hope to have another opportunity to do some ferrying in the future.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: The IPA EB speaks for me

An owner like that will not have a proper ferry permit when it flies, I'll bet. The FAA could be there to help.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:46 PM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Nice catch on the shady deal. As with anything in this world today you gotta "CYA" Cover your A__.