Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Part 135 ops with bases <90 min from PHL

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 12:44 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2023
Default Part 135 ops with bases <90 min from PHL

Since I've hit the 1500 hour mark with all the other required checkmarks (but no ATP), I've got my apps into several regionals but am wondering if I might also submit to Part 135 carriers with bases within 90 min of PHL since I live in that region. The list and names of 135 operators seems to change a lot with some either closing down or being gobbled up by others so just looking for any advice on some "decent" ones that meet that location/distance requirement.
Old 05-25-2023, 08:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: Retired NJA & AA

Originally Posted by Njflyguy View Post
Since I've hit the 1500 hour mark with all the other required checkmarks (but no ATP), I've got my apps into several regionals but am wondering if I might also submit to Part 135 carriers with bases within 90 min of PHL since I live in that region. The list and names of 135 operators seems to change a lot with some either closing down or being gobbled up by others so just looking for any advice on some "decent" ones that meet that location/distance requirement.
The major fractionals like NetJets and Flexjet will hire you at 1500 hours and you're home based.
Old 05-26-2023, 04:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar

Grandview Aviation in MD. Check them out. Good Operation.
Old 05-26-2023, 05:02 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2022

looking for any advice on some "decent" ones that meet that location/distance requirement.
Make up some business cards. Buy/bake some cookies/etc. Look on flight aware for GA fields near you. Make a list of the 10 busiest/most convenient. Drive to the FBO's, chat up the desk staff/line staff. See who they like. Leave business cards.

An advanced version of this tactic can be executed by a pretty young woman. That can be you, your cousin, your GF, whatever. Young woman takes cookies and seeks out male airport staff. Does same chatting up. "My cousin/boyfriend/self would be really excited to work here...."
Old 05-26-2023, 08:03 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2020

Originally Posted by Brickfire View Post
Make up some business cards. Buy/bake some cookies/etc. Look on flight aware for GA fields near you. Make a list of the 10 busiest/most convenient. Drive to the FBO's, chat up the desk staff/line staff. See who they like. Leave business cards.

An advanced version of this tactic can be executed by a pretty young woman. That can be you, your cousin, your GF, whatever. Young woman takes cookies and seeks out male airport staff. Does same chatting up. "My cousin/boyfriend/self would be really excited to work here...."
Contour has a PHL base. Embraer 145s
Old 05-28-2023, 05:49 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2019

Flexjet, NetJets, Flyexclusive, Fly Advanced, Wheels Up, Dumont Jets, list goes on. Use Google

Originally Posted by Brickfire View Post
buddy of mine got his first jet gig after a COVID regional layoff this way. Model GF chatted up a pilot working at her bar. Got her BF a job which led to another which led to a major 121 cargo carrier.

Last edited by meitnerium; 05-28-2023 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-28-2023, 09:25 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2023
Position: Student pilot

Go to KPNE and talk to the customer service people in the FBO there. Every time I’mat the airport there is always at least one citation parked there
Old 05-28-2023, 11:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: Retired NJA & AA

Originally Posted by meitnerium View Post
Flexjet, NetJets, Flyexclusive, Fly Advanced, Wheels Up, Dumont Jets, list goes on. Use Google
Wheels Up isn't looking good right now, major financial problems. Look up the post about them on APC.
Old 05-28-2023, 02:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag
Exclamation

Hey NJflyguy,

Most quality Part 135 operators these days offer true home basing and predictable, set schedules. There really isn't a reason not to expand your net out further than just 90 minutes of PHL. There are also the very established Part 91 K operators Netjets and Flexjets, that also offer true home basing and set schedules. There is no need to move or get a crashpad in today's Part 135 or 91K world.
Old 05-29-2023, 01:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by AirBear View Post
The major fractionals like NetJets and Flexjet will hire you at 1500 hours and you're home based.
You can include Plane Sense also and they have a PHL base.