Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Central air southwest cargo

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2023, 02:11 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2022
Default Central air southwest cargo

I know there is a thread many years ago, but was looking for information about them. Hopefully current pilots or previous pilots could chime in.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2023, 03:38 PM
In the Pattern

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Desk Cpt. and punching a keyboard
Exclamation Use the experience and move on.....

Originally Posted by Flightexpress View Post
I know there is a thread many years ago, but was looking for information about them. Hopefully current pilots or previous pilots could chime in.

Thanks
I worked for CASW for little over a year and moved on after I became burnt out. I started there just before the COVID pandemic and it was only meant to be a temporary gig to get a little experience and then I was planning to move on. Then COVID hit and I stayed way beyond my intention as there were little to no jobs. Most of the pilots that I know that have worked there only stayed for a few months and moved on also. Its a rough gig pending where and what routes you fly. The Florida run is one of the places that you get beaten like a redheaded step child due to the WX, the MX, and the run you make (VDF-PBI-OPA-TPA, 2 times a night). I don't think the guys making the runs up north have it any easier as they are dealing with icing and severe cold in the winter. MX is a hit and miss operation and would be expected out of a company still utilizing the AC50 (which is a 50+ year old aircraft) while the competition is flying PC12's, Be58's and Phenom 100s. Dealing with operations, HR, maintenance personnel and management will test your patience and resolve. So what can you expect to get out of it? Well you will become very​​​​​​ proficient at flying single pilot raw data IFR down to minimums. None of the aircraft have auto-pilots, most did not have a GPS installed (A few aircraft had a Garmin 430 and a couple of GTN 650's) as the majority of the aircraft had the original type of radios that they rolled out of the factory with (all were equipped with at least a Garmin 356 portable) . You will also become proficient at flight planning and WX interpretation. I would advise to get yourself a very good set of headsets like the Bose A20/A30 headsets with noise cancelling and Bluetooth so you can call ATC for release clearances from different airfields as the radios are usually not powerful enough to always contact them on the ground such as Opa-locka after 0000hrs when the tower closes and you need to contact MIA departure). I would also recommend getting set up with EFB with Foreflight (or something like it) and a ADS-B receiver, as this will come in handy in those crappy WX situations you will find yourself in ( don't forget you will need a RAM mount for everything). So if you decide to move forward with them, use the time wisely, learn what you can, and build experience. Don't be afraid to say "No" to operations as they will try to push you, and if you are uncomfortable with flying it and don't think it is safe, then don't fly. The job is dangerous enough given the fact that you are flying single pilot at night on duty for up to 12hrs or more to take any unnecessary risks. If you would like to talk to me further PM me and I'll send you my contact info.

​​​​​​