Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Air Methods Pilot Pool

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2024, 06:04 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2008
Default Air Methods Pilot Pool

I'm not sure where this thread belongs, so please move this if appropriate...

I'm looking at a couple of Air Methods jobs, and some of them are for their "Pilot Pool". Does anybody here have any info on exactly what that means, or how the pilot pool operates?

Also, any comments on working for AM in general would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2024, 01:35 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2009

Originally Posted by Phaques
I'm not sure where this thread belongs, so please move this if appropriate...

I'm looking at a couple of Air Methods jobs, and some of them are for their "Pilot Pool". Does anybody here have any info on exactly what that means, or how the pilot pool operates?

Also, any comments on working for AM in general would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I worked for Air Methods for over twenty years in multiple locations. I have been based in South Dakota, Denver, and Grand Junction, CO and covered all over as a national relief pilot. Very early on in my pilot career I got divorced and the week on/week off schedule and being home based were the only way I could keep child custody and stay active in my kids lives while continuing to fly for a living.

The pool pilots are usually assigned to a single base and the company covers travel to and from your home to the base and housing while on shift. The base pay is just under six figures for a new hire, with all of the extras and overtime most folks are in the 125-150 range for the first few years. Many of the bases and/or positions also include a stipend (mine was 40k/year) or cost of living adjustment. Bear in mind that any stipend or market based incentive isn't contractual and may be stopped once they can fill positions. Cost of living adjustments are part of the union contract.

Overall it was a decent job and I had no major issues with Air Methods. Feel free to PM or respond with any specific questions.
Old 06-10-2024, 07:14 AM
Aeronautical Colleague

Joined APC: Aug 2016

Originally Posted by jergar999
I worked for Air Methods for over twenty years in multiple locations. I have been based in South Dakota, Denver, and Grand Junction, CO and covered all over as a national relief pilot. Very early on in my pilot career I got divorced and the week on/week off schedule and being home based were the only way I could keep child custody and stay active in my kids lives while continuing to fly for a living.

The pool pilots are usually assigned to a single base and the company covers travel to and from your home to the base and housing while on shift. The base pay is just under six figures for a new hire, with all of the extras and overtime most folks are in the 125-150 range for the first few years. Many of the bases and/or positions also include a stipend (mine was 40k/year) or cost of living adjustment. Bear in mind that any stipend or market based incentive isn't contractual and may be stopped once they can fill positions. Cost of living adjustments are part of the union contract.

Overall it was a decent job and I had no major issues with Air Methods. Feel free to PM or respond with any specific questions.
Thanks jergar, I'm being considered for this position. This is good information.