Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Paper Flying... Paying for a rating?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Default Paper Flying... Paying for a rating?

So, I started instructing at an FBO and they really want me to get my part 135 check out in their cheiftains so I can fly cargo and charter flights. But the only catch is that it is $9,000! I think thats crazy! I have my cfi, cfii, and mei so I'm not looking for any multi time and there are always cfi jobs around, but do airlines really look at people who pay for flying and is this a good deal?
Old 03-19-2008, 04:10 AM
Chief Jeppesen Updater

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Executive Transport Driver

Generally speaking never a "good deal" to pay for training. $9000 could buy you a 737 type rating. There are times when I'd endorse spending cash to better position yourself for a job. Paying that much to get checked out in a Chieftain isn't one of them.

If the FBO wants/needs you to fly charter, then they need to pay for you to be qualifed. It's the cost of doing business.

If you see yourself staying around for x period of time, consider verbally or contractually committing to them for 6 or 12 months in exchange for the training. (IE The so called dreaded training contract).
Old 03-19-2008, 05:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: BE-20, RA390

It is their responsiblity to train and check you. Asking you to stay for a year until your 8410 expires (FAA Part 135 checkride form) would be one thing, but paying for it up front is suspect. IMHO. Would you have to pay again in 6 months for your IFR check?

Is any of this cost for simulator training?
Old 03-19-2008, 11:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007

Check their 135 Op Specs, i bet you it says they are required to provide you the training, that doesn't mean they can't give you a "training contract", but like GauleyPilot said, it shouldn't be more than a year.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007

That is crazy....I say keep building time up to 135 mins, then go wherever you want.

Most 135 outfits will require you to stay for 12 months, but give a bonus at the end of that period.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: What do you have?

Originally Posted by da_flyn_hawyn View Post
So, I started instructing at an FBO and they really want me to get my part 135 check out in their cheiftains so I can fly cargo and charter flights. But the only catch is that it is $9,000! I think thats crazy! I have my cfi, cfii, and mei so I'm not looking for any multi time and there are always cfi jobs around, but do airlines really look at people who pay for flying and is this a good deal?
No way should a pilot accept this kind of deal. It's BS -- if they want you to do that flying, THEY should pay for the training. Any legitimate company would have no problem with that. You can make much more money with your CFI ratings. They think they have some young guy they can sucker in by telling you that you'll get all that multi time. DO NOT get lured into this kind of crap. The only thing it does is cheapen our profession. Even in contract business jet work, there are ways to get owners to pay for training so it's not coming out of the pilot's pocket. Please, please do not do something like this!!!
Old 03-19-2008, 06:58 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: One man wolfpack

Originally Posted by FlyHappy View Post
The only thing it does is cheapen our profession. Even in contract business jet work, there are ways to get owners to pay for training so it's not coming out of the pilot's pocket. Please, please do not do something like this!!!
Wow isnt that the truth!!!!! Maybe for a 737 type after being offered a job at SWA, but even that is a stretch. You are a professional pilot, professional pilots dont have to pay for there flight time.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Cool

Yeah I don't think I'll ever do it, it did cross my mind one night though. But it is nice to know that everyone else thinks its crazy too! Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-20-2008, 06:26 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: CRJ-700 FO

It is such a relief to see such unified and resonating support for this guy! I want to have the privelidge of throwing my hat in with a thread that is so fervent and so right on! As a small business owner, I understand that there are certain costs for things. If they NEED you to fly that airplane, then it is worth it for them to pay to train you. Remember, you are the one with all the bargaining chips, not them! Best of luck, and remember, there is an ever growing pilot shortage out there right now, and we weild the power for a change. Let's make the charge now and raise the bar as high as we can for as long as we can to better the profession and better position that profession for the long run! Whew! Somebody, pull me down of the ole' soapbox!

CJ
Old 03-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006

[quote=CitationJason;344642]It is such a relief to see such unified and resonating support for this guy! I want to have the privelidge of throwing my hat in with a thread that is so fervent and so right on! As a small business owner, I understand that there are certain costs for things. If they NEED you to fly that airplane, then it is worth it for them to pay to train you. Remember, you are the one with all the bargaining chips, not them! Best of luck, and remember, there is an ever growing pilot shortage out there right now, and we weild the power for a change. Let's make the charge now and raise the bar as high as we can for as long as we can to

Couldn't have been said better. Unfortunately there will always be people around not armed with the right knowledge and get suckered into signing those damn things.

How do people feel about a signed agreement between an individual and a company stating that if the pilot leaves within the first 12 months of employment then the company will list them as ineligible for rehire on any future PRIA checks, no money owed though? Also would anyone think that would have a negative impact with a potential future employer?