Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Hawaii and USVI

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 06:27 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: 135 charter

Winnebago - Thanks for all the extensive info. Since I fall into neither category, I may be out of luck, but I'll keep looking around.

I've never been a fan of SIC programs, and would never consider joining one myself, but Kamaka looks pretty cool with the Douglas and B18s - two of the coolest freighters out there. I would hazzard that in that heat, those beasts could be hellish to load/unload....

Thanks again,

canyonflyer
Old 04-26-2006, 07:07 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2005

Hey canyonflier,
how is id flying? I am trying to get on with mccall aviation or any one else flying idaho backcountry. do you have any suggestions as to who might be hiring? Thanks
Old 04-26-2006, 10:18 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: 135 charter

Idaho flying is amazing. It's the largest wilderness area in the lower '48. It's also hard flying - it can be windy, high DA, low vis from forest fire smoke, and in the spring/fall, the ceiling is often much lower than the canyon tops, so you've got to know the area. That being said, I think it's some of the most rewarding flying I've done.

I work for McCall Air, and we're fully staffed for this summer. I think the only openings are in Reservations - an office job, but might get you in the door if you really wanted to be here. You could try Salmon Air, based in Salmon, ID. They're probably our biggest competitor in the 135 backcountry arena. I don't know if they're fully staffed or not, but I do know that a couple pilots moved on last year.

The flying up here is very seasonal. It's like a fire hose in the summer (120+ hours/month), and nothing in the winter (2hr in Jan, 0 in Feb or March.) Hunting season is tough, lots of sitting and waiting for the weather, and then when it does break, you fly all day. I ended up driving a snow plow for the city through the winter. And they're long, we still have snow on the ground here. Salmon is a little dryer, so I think they're fall flying season might be easier, but they have less traffic.

As far as mins for the area, they're basicly USFS (forest sercive) mins - 1500tt, 500 xc, 100 night, etc. Kinda high for driving a 206 around, but it's pretty serious flying.

Hope that helps, good luck in your endeavors. If this is the place you really want to fly, keep at it, someone will take notice of your determination (that's how I did it...) I'll be happy to answer any more questions too.

Canyonflyer
Old 05-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005

You guys have some great info. Is there any chance at all that you guys could provide some contact info for these companies?
I have around 3,300 total and 500 jet pic and and around 2,000ME and maybe 500 turboprop. I would gladly take a job that pays little. I will have free housing in the Hilo area and we are definitely moving.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2005

You forgot Island Air for the starving pilot who can live on $1200 a month.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005

Originally Posted by Rama
You forgot Island Air for the starving pilot who can live on $1200 a month.
That's what I thought. I don't intend to live in PHNL so maybe it's not the best for me. I would most likely have to rent a crash pad and commute for a while...ick.

Last edited by FuelJetA; 05-20-2006 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:16 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Guys, stop saying you will work for free or peanuts, that is the attitude that is destroying our standards. I flew out of Puerto Rico and the VI on the early 90's, we did not work for peanuts back then.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:26 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2011

What is driving the lower pay? Are the operations struggling with profitability or is there such a huge demand of pilots looking for limited jobs?
Old 11-13-2011, 06:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Holy thread revival from 5.5 years (and 8 months) ago.
I think this discussion has plenty of current threads to occupy a users time.
Closed.

USMCFLYR