Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Air Medical operations

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: CFII
Default Air Medical operations

Currently I am a Paramedic/firefighter for a full-time department. I also have been working on my pilot ratings. I am taking the Instrument Checkride next week. I like the idea of flying for an air medical operation. Is their any positives or negatives regarding a hx as a parmedic as it pertains to the possiblity of flying for an air med operation? Thanks, all thoughts appreciated.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:57 AM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Well my only take on the matter is, if you acting as a pilot, I honestly don't want you thinking about anything but flying the airplane. I'm not saying there's some situations where you're knowledge would be benefitial, but you will be expected to only work in the position you were hired to do. Honestly though, I think it'd help you get a job in this market more than anything else. But don't, I repeat don't, do two jobs for one pay!!!!
Old 10-20-2008, 10:42 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2007

As an air ambulance pilot your office stops at the back of your seat. Pilots need to be detached from what is going on with the patient which starts even before launching to go get them.

Being a former firefighter would make you familiar with sitting at the ready for hours on end, but flight experience should be the main thing an employer is looking at. Best of luck in your career.