Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Alaska- For Pilots and Mechanics and those interested

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:11 AM
El Capitan

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Originally Posted by FlyAK View Post
Yeah, a play on "skyhawk" = chicken

no current pay rates out there though, huh?
I talked to Jr Beans a few months ago. We didn't talk pay rates but he did say there would probably be jobs available in Barrow this spring! I think in the 406.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: Cessna 205

I have a hard time believing that anyone off of the street would walk into anything except a 207 at Hageland much less a 406. Most of the guys flying the twin have probably been with the company 5-6 years.
With regard to their pay scale I know it is now based on a combination of a daily rate and some sort of hourly compensation.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:39 PM
On Reserve

I thought I heard Hagelands was done. Bought out by Frontier FS. Is that incorrect? And if it isn't then one last question for you. Is D.S. (aka Hollywood, aka The Streak) still there? I miss that guy.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:31 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2009

There are definately some good jobs to be had in that area. If you can get a job the experience is a plus anywhere you may go afterwords. KNow a few guys that flew in that territory and they get aot of respect from employers.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:12 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2005
Position: Sedan driver

Originally Posted by AiRegency View Post
I thought I heard Hagelands was done. Bought out by Frontier FS. Is that incorrect? And if it isn't then one last question for you. Is D.S. (aka Hollywood, aka The Streak) still there? I miss that guy.
I was in Anchorage in December and ran into a buddy flying for them in Bethel. They're still doing the 135 side of things with the sleds and Caravans, all 1900 ops are Frontiers. I have no idea what's going on with the 406's.

Last pay scale for Hageland I heard was daily scale: $150 chicken, $200 sled, $250 van. Frontier was paying $55 and $20 per hour in the 1900's, and their Navajo drivers were making about $5000 a month.

Remember lower 48 guys, this is NOT easy duty and if you have a family it will take its toll. Not being negative, spent most of my life in Alaska and have seen it over and over.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:54 PM
El Capitan

Bering Air is looking for mechanics: Bering Air Alaska
I know a few guys who transitioned from mechanic to pilot working for them.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:05 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: EMB120 Left

Took me 9 months to get a job after moving from SoCal, I left a 135 job with good references and still people treated me like I was just some transient outsider. So don't give up whatever you do. I finally found my current gig by looking at this Alaska Job Center Network website. Like everywhere else in aviation its all about timing. I was hired as the youngest and lowest time pilot (1300tt 200 multi) in my class and the next 3 classes after me had guys with 250 hours. Other operators felt the same crunch and PenAir even invited me back to interview, I wisely declined. Its not a happy place over there.

I could have probably gotten a job quicker but I wanted to stay in town so I targeted companies like PenAir and Era, needless to say that didn't work out very well. I interviewed at PenAir and the panel treated me like I had some sort of incurable disease because my last job happened to be in SoCal. This is totally normal behavior, I know resumes are sorted by address.

One thing that I hope this thread does not plunge into is saying that things are different in Alaska ie you're encouraged to break rules, true there are those companies still somehow flying but they are now the exception rather than the norm. I get paid to fly from A to B in legal weather in a legal airplane. I still don't know why its considered normal for a select very vocal group to brag about pushing it? People like that are the reason Alaska has such a terrible reputation. I freely admit that Alaska is a tough environment with a huge lack of infrastructure and weather information, the entire state has only 37 airports with TAFS.

Good luck to anyone trying to make the jump from outside, its challenging, rewarding, and sometimes even fun up here.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:35 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2005
Position: Sedan driver

Originally Posted by FlyOrDie View Post
I get paid to fly from A to B in legal weather in a legal airplane. I still don't know why its considered normal for a select very vocal group to brag about pushing it? People like that are the reason Alaska has such a terrible reputation. I freely admit that Alaska is a tough environment with a huge lack of infrastructure and weather information, the entire state has only 37 airports with TAFS.
+1. We'd fly legal VFR enroute at 500 and 2, and guys would brag about being able to get into such and such a village at 200 and 1. In VFR equipped 207's. My answer was always the same...WHY? Turn around if the weathers crap, don't go below your personal mins, and live to tell about it. Trust me, flying it legally will still get you puckered up once in awhile!
Old 02-17-2009, 07:52 AM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Push the weather

No one ever directly told me to push the weather, but it was obvious that those who could get the job done were promoted. Even the passengers were pushy. Once they trusted you as a pilot they would try to pressure you into taking more weight, worse weather and shorter runways.

They like risk takers up there. I have seen more than a few get sent home because they could not handle the pressure. Alaska flying is a very different place. If you have never hand propped a plane before or gotten one stuck in the mud then it will be a difficult transition.

Skyhigh
Old 02-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Right Seat, PIC

FlyOrDie -

Was your first gig in AK with Everts, or did you build up some time somewhere else?

And what is the upgrade time for the DC6 into the right seat and the left? I'm assuming those low time guys you talked about started out as flight engineers

Thanks!

-VAviator