Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Part 135
figuring cost per mile for quoting charter. >

figuring cost per mile for quoting charter.

Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

figuring cost per mile for quoting charter.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: LJ24 SIC
Default figuring cost per mile for quoting charter.

can anyone tell me how I could figure an effective formula for quoting charter in a Cessna 182?I was hoping to keep it lower than $1.50 / mi. what do you guys think?
Old 08-24-2009, 01:10 PM
C21H30O2

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: L/R or workin' the panels!

What is the pilot's cost, fuel, what's the debt service of the a/c, Insurance overhead, Maintainance, engine, prop overhead. All these costs must be factored in/per hour. Then figure for seat mile. Most charter companys usually have price per zones. These zones go out so many hundreds of miles.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Line Holder

I figured I was going to get an answer like that, not that I don't appreciate it. I was just hoping someone at some point in time before me had figured it out already. Any 182 (or other small cessna) operators out there?
Old 08-24-2009, 06:23 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: USAF

I actually had made an excel program for various aircraft we were thinking of putting on a 135.. you plug the numbers in and voilą! I'll see if I can dig it up somewhere around here. Basically it comes down to fixed and variable costs - figure those out per hour on an estimated annual usage, convert a low-average ground speed figure you've had in the past with that airplane from hour/cost to mile/cost and further into seat/mile/cost. Whatever figure you come out with - make it very liberal. It is actually a good bit of work to get a realistic number + profit.

Check out charterhub.com

I think average 182 is around $300-350/hr, which would make it closer to $2.30/mile
Old 08-25-2009, 05:18 AM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

$1.50/mile is going to lose you money big time, unless your your fixed costs are cheap!

Like mentioned above, you have to calculate all your expenses, and figure the amount of hours flown per year, etc.. Then figure an average speed per hour, this can't be your cruise speed, you have to factor in variences for t/o and landing, and approaches. Obviously you're going to need to figure that your costs are higher than they actually are, so you can make a solid profit.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:35 AM
Line Holder

Thanks guys, that's what I was looking for. Ryan, if you could find that spreadsheet I would really appreciate to see it. Please send me a PM if you do find it.

Originally Posted by ryan1234 View Post
I actually had made an excel program for various aircraft we were thinking of putting on a 135.. you plug the numbers in and voilą! I'll see if I can dig it up somewhere around here. Basically it comes down to fixed and variable costs - figure those out per hour on an estimated annual usage, convert a low-average ground speed figure you've had in the past with that airplane from hour/cost to mile/cost and further into seat/mile/cost. Whatever figure you come out with - make it very liberal. It is actually a good bit of work to get a realistic number + profit.

Check out charterhub.com

I think average 182 is around $300-350/hr, which would make it closer to $2.30/mile