Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Graduate Research

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 06:31 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Default Graduate Research

Hello everyone,

My name is Chris, I am completing my gradate degree in aviation safety, and as part of my degree I must complete a graduate research project. My project focuses on whether the current federal regulations regarding the use of supplemental oxygen by flight crewmembers above 25,000 feet in pressurized aircraft are valid in today’s environment and whether or not completion of altitude chamber training increases the likelihood of pilots to use supplemental oxygen.

I am getting close to having the data that I need, but I would really like to get more response from those operating under part 135.

If any of you have the time to take a short survey regarding oxygen use, I would greatly appreciate it. The survey should take approx. 5 minutes to complete.

Graduate Capstone Survey
Old 10-24-2009, 07:05 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Check out this invention which is replacing the Altitude Chamber in USN/USMC Aviation Physiology Training - it called the Reduced Oxgyen Breathing Device (ROBD)

Environics - Reduced Oxygen Breathing Device 2 (ROBD 2) - Product Data

This should give you some material for your project regarding training and uses and I can tell you from experience that the ROBD is better training and that aircrew are recognizing hypoxia related events more accurately than before this training was available.

USMCFLYR
Old 10-24-2009, 01:41 PM
New Hire

Thanks for that! I saw something about a device similar to this that the Mayo clinic was helping develop. I wonder if this is the same thing?
Old 10-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009

Originally Posted by Rkymtnhigh View Post
Hello everyone,

My name is Chris, I am completing my gradate degree in aviation safety,
Graduate Capstone Survey

Hi Chris!

Welcome to the forums. What exactly is a gradate degree? Never heard of one, but sure glad you're getting one!
Old 10-25-2009, 12:06 PM
New Hire

Guess all that education doesn't include how to spell! At least I got it right once in the thread. I hate spell check.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:07 AM
On Reserve

Position: C130
Default Robd

USMC:

I got an opportunity to use that device during my recurrent altitude chamber training. The device is fantastic. It provided me a much more realistic picture of what the insidious effects of hypoxia will do to me during a flight profile. While the chamber is very useful for identifying what symptoms of hypoxia feel like, the ROBD combines the symptomatic effects with your reaction while piloting an aircraft simulator.

Plus the guys up in P-cola are VERY smart with regard to hypoxia, fatigue, etc. And the golf course isn't bad either.

Z
Old 10-27-2009, 07:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by Zman View Post
USMC:

I got an opportunity to use that device during my recurrent altitude chamber training. The device is fantastic. It provided me a much more realistic picture of what the insidious effects of hypoxia will do to me during a flight profile. While the chamber is very useful for identifying what symptoms of hypoxia feel like, the ROBD combines the symptomatic effects with your reaction while piloting an aircraft simulator.

Plus the guys up in P-cola are VERY smart with regard to hypoxia, fatigue, etc. And the golf course isn't bad either.

Z
This is what makes the ROBD the training breakthrough that it is in today's training environment. Future plans include being able to have incorporated into the simulators for evaluation during NATOPS checks.

I'm glad you were able to put P-cola's training equipment to full use - meaning the golf courses of course

USMCFLYR
Old 10-27-2009, 07:14 AM
On Reserve

Position: C130

If only my scores matched my enthusiasm for the game...