Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

TallBoy

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Left Seat
Default TallBoy

I'm pushing 6'8" and worried I can't get into some of the smaller twins for when I get 135 mins. Any advice on to which cockpits are larger...Here's my synopsis so far of the twins I've sat in or flown

Baron BE58 Crammed and less head room
C421 (left seat with the divider behind me) Crammed in general and no head room
Duchess Headroom Ok short on legroom
Seminole Ok with the seat all the way back

The tall rudder pedals in the 421 and baron are the most restricting cause I hit my knees on the yoke (insert joke).

I haven't sat in any King Airs, C402, Navajo, metros, 1900's, etc.
I'm seriously thinking about getting out of aviation for this exact reason...there's too many good pilots out there that are 5'7"
Old 12-01-2009, 11:45 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: Cpt B1900, CFII/MEI
Default 1900

I'm 6'4" and find the beech not too bad. With the seat all the way back and rudder pedals frwd I seem to have enough room for both legs and head.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by koka View Post
I'm 6'4" and find the beech not too bad. With the seat all the way back and rudder pedals frwd I seem to have enough room for both legs and head.
I'm 6'2" and our assistant chief pilot is 6'5" and we both fit comfortably in the Metroliner with some room to spare.

I remember flying to Japan (as a passenger) and one of the Captains was 6'8". Don't give up.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

i'm 6'6" and did my private in a diamond katana and that was horrible. as far as twins go I flew the chieftain for a year at salmon air and had tons of room, I'm in the brasilia at skywaste right now and it's ok, you learn a few tricks to be able to stretch your legs, like bringing the pedals all the way forward and then sliding feet in between and stretch out
Old 12-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2009

I'm 6' 5". You'll have no problem in a king air or a caravan. Don't give up my friend. Seeing that you have your CFI/II/MEI you clearly have spent some time in small planes and you're still at it.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: King Air 200 CA Hawker 800/900 FO

Originally Posted by Bons View Post
I'm pushing 6'8" and worried I can't get into some of the smaller twins for when I get 135 mins. Any advice on to which cockpits are larger...Here's my synopsis so far of the twins I've sat in or flown

Baron BE58 Crammed and less head room
C421 (left seat with the divider behind me) Crammed in general and no head room
Duchess Headroom Ok short on legroom
Seminole Ok with the seat all the way back

The tall rudder pedals in the 421 and baron are the most restricting cause I hit my knees on the yoke (insert joke).

I haven't sat in any King Airs, C402, Navajo, metros, 1900's, etc.
I'm seriously thinking about getting out of aviation for this exact reason...there's too many good pilots out there that are 5'7"

I completely hear where you are coming from. Being 6'7" myself and spending 90% of my days cramming in PA38s I am looking forward to a day in which I'm not crunched in there. Its getting to a point where a PA28 feels roomy.

I sat in a Navajo the other day and fit quite fine once I got myself in the seat. I am concerned myself if I should look to move into bizjets. I sat in a beechjet and lear 35 with less than desirable results.

The CRJ fit me fine largely due to the adjustable pedals. The worst was when a vertically challenged FO flew the a/c before me.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:25 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: 737 Left
Default King Air room

The King Air 200 is a little difficult to get in, and I'm short compared to you (6'), but comfortable once seated.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2009
Position: BEECH 1900 PIC

Originally Posted by fjetter View Post
I completely hear where you are coming from. Being 6'7" myself and spending 90% of my days cramming in PA38s I am looking forward to a day in which I'm not crunched in there. Its getting to a point where a PA28 feels roomy.

I sat in a Navajo the other day and fit quite fine once I got myself in the seat. I am concerned myself if I should look to move into bizjets. I sat in a beechjet and lear 35 with less than desirable results.

The CRJ fit me fine largely due to the adjustable pedals. The worst was when a vertically challenged FO flew the a/c before me.

Considering the topic of this thread, it sounds like your the one who's vertically challenged.