Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Satsair

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 07:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: MD-11 F/O UPS

http://www.satsair.com/index.html

I had not heard of them prior to this post; however, it does look like a fun retirement job for a while.

I did a demo flight on a SR-22 about 6 months ago and it was a really sweet airplane. By far the nicest GA airplane I've every been in. It even had some avionics stuff that I wish I had on the MD-11, like real time satellite radar feeds, airspace depiction, vertical profiles and warning/restricted area status.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: high speed taxi driver

Yeah, the avionics are very nice. The only problem that I have found with the XM Weather is its not always real time, or entirely accurate. On one flight it was clear and a million, yet the radar showed us flying through a level 3 cell. Blast to fly though.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:06 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2006

[QUOTE=Phantom Flyer;75817] The company pays your salary from day 1 in training along with per diem and provides the hotel and transportation from your home to and from training.

I understand they don't pay for getting to and from training. They do provide a hotel room, and the salary does start when training starts. If this is incorrect, please let me know. Thanks.
Also... do SATSair pilots have their own posting site?
Old 11-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Snakes & Nape

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: B-767 Captain
Default Transportation to Training

It is my understanding that SATSair does not provide transportation to training;however, that point needs to be clarified as there is some conflicting information. They do start the base salary ($ 27,000 for the 1st six months then $ 33,000 from 1st day of 7th month until completion of the first year) on day one of training and the hotel and per diem ($ 1.50 per hour for every hour away from base) is paid throughout training. The benefit package is good and for a Part 135 operator, exceptional. Uniform shirts are provided along with ties.

The aircraft (CR-22) does have two independent electrical systems to allow for IFR in basically all weather. The only hinderance is that the aircraft is not certified for flight into known icing conditions.

The company is growing and with that, there are going to be growing pains. It also seems that the business demand is very strong and one might assume that within a reasonable period of time, small jets (Citations or similiar) will be in the offing as SATSair does want to go national eventually.

Recently, I followed a Cirrus-22 into Raleigh with 800 overcast. 1/2 mile with a wind of 040/22G40. I talked to the Cirrus pilot after we landed. He said "it was bumpy" (an understatement as there was moderate turbulence everywhere) but the aircraft did quite well. I guess that it does pretty well in &^@!%$# IFR weather.

C-Ya in the overcast !!
Old 11-27-2006, 12:28 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: CRJ left

Anyone who works there willing to give us an idea of how many hours/month one can expect to log?
Old 12-02-2006, 05:57 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: FE, FO, CAPT.

I believe that Cirrus owns 25% of SatsAir and that Cirrus' VLJ is part of the future game plan.

I've also heard that their schedule is 4 on/3 off in name only. Pilots are presently working 5 on/2 off for extra pay because they are understaffed.

The word is that minimum time to apply is listed as 1200 hours.

Can anyone confirm/deny these items?
Old 12-02-2006, 06:18 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2006

Job Requirements:
Must have 1500 hours (excluding, simulator and flight engineer time) 500 hours as Pilot-in Command (PIC) 500 hours cross country 100 hours night flight time 100 hours actual instrument flight time Instrument current-night and a single engine airplane night current FAA Single Engine Commercial Pilot Certificate with Instrument rating Flight review in the last 24 months FAA Second Class Medical Certificate FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Permit Valid Passport with the ability to travel in and out of the US. Valid Driver License. Authorized to work in the United States. Must pass background check and pre-employment drug test Live within one hour driving distance from one of the available domiciles. Be able to overnight and respond in a timely manner to pop up trips. Height and weight restrictions: No more than 6'5 and 225lbs for operational limitations
Old 01-01-2007, 09:58 AM
Snakes & Nape

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: B-767 Captain
Smile Work Schedule

The work schedule may in fact, be 5 on and 2 off depending on how many aircraft are actually based in a particular city. For example, if just one aircraft and 2 pilots are in each city, then one could logically conclude that one would be on call for 15 days and have 15 off unless the company pays you to fly out of another city (their nickel).

The company does guarantee a 4 on, 3 off schedule after 2 years and some pilot schedules indicate some months with 5/2 and then some with 4/3. I guess it will vary by season, city and business requirements. There are new hire classes scheduled from early January on so as more pilots are added, the strain on flight schedules may lessen. More later and film at 11.

Plans call for a "VLJ"; however, I've been told that SATSair may not wait for the Cirrus VLJ as it is years away from production. Cirrus Aircraft does own 25% of SATSair and there are some deep pockets with that relationship.

As a clarification to an earlier point, the pilot is responsible to get him/herself to Palm Coast, FL but then at 08:00 am on the first day of training, SATSair is responsible for and pays transportation, hotels, and per diem. All was paid as promised including personal vehicle milage .
Old 01-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005

Let me get the right...A company offering better pay and benefits , QOL, and such than the regionals? What do you fly? A SE prop plane? I imagine it can be a killer for someone starting out and hopes to be at the airlines. However, for a retired military / career changer it may be just the thing...

Sounds like a good deal...Am I missing something?

-LAFF
Old 01-01-2007, 10:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005

Originally Posted by roughair View Post
Job Requirements:
Must have 1500 hours (excluding, simulator and flight engineer time) 500 hours as Pilot-in Command (PIC) 500 hours cross country 100 hours night flight time 100 hours actual instrument flight time Instrument current-night and a single engine airplane night current FAA Single Engine Commercial Pilot Certificate with Instrument rating Flight review in the last 24 months FAA Second Class Medical Certificate FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Permit Valid Passport with the ability to travel in and out of the US. Valid Driver License. Authorized to work in the United States. Must pass background check and pre-employment drug test Live within one hour driving distance from one of the available domiciles. Be able to overnight and respond in a timely manner to pop up trips. Height and weight restrictions: No more than 6'5 and 225lbs for operational limitations
What are the domiciles?

-LAFF