Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Freight/cargo question (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/54173-freight-cargo-question.html)

PA46 10-18-2010 09:15 PM

Freight/cargo question

Does anyone know of any good cargo companys to fly for around Las Vegas area. Or of any good flying jobs period. I have been teaching in FL for several years and am moving to Vegas. I do not want to teach any more! Any info?

featheredprop 10-19-2010 05:42 AM

dont take this the wrong way ....things are tough all over . I really doubt anyone can point you to any cargo job in vegas or almost anywhere west for that matter . I think you should bite the bullet and continue to instruct .

now is a really bad time to not want to flight instruct .

own nav 10-19-2010 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by PA46 (Post 886871)
Does anyone know of any good cargo companys to fly for around Las Vegas area. Or of any good flying jobs period. I have been teaching in FL for several years and am moving to Vegas. I do not want to teach any more! Any info?

There's a few FedEX caravans out of McCarran.

West Air, Inc. Air Cargo Delivery Provider Since 1988

Doesn't look like they're hiring right now.

Ziggy 10-19-2010 08:46 AM

My advice on this subject is alway the same. When you get to Vegas start knocking on hangars and throwing your resume out everywhere. I wouldn't stop at cargo. There's a lot of GA and 2 satellite airports (that I know of) in the area. This is a constantly changing industry. Someone's loosing an aircraft, someone else is gaining one and may need crews. It may be a short term gig, or could be a career. But you've got to pound the pavement.

flyandive 10-19-2010 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by own nav (Post 886970)
There's a few FedEX caravans out of McCarran.

West Air, Inc. Air Cargo Delivery Provider Since 1988

Doesn't look like they're hiring right now.

West Air actually has been hiring sporadically lately. At least four have been hired lately for various bases/runs. It seems unusual for them to hire but when they do it seems they hire two at a time with interviews in Fresno. They must have enough applications on their desks because I have never seen them advertise that they have openings. I just know of people going in for interviews and passing on what they hear there.

ftrflyboy 10-20-2010 12:16 PM

Hit up the tour operators as well. This is their slow season but stopping in with resume shows that you are interested when the season rolls around.

flyreggiefly11 10-20-2010 09:02 PM

Is West Air single pilot operations?

flyandive 10-21-2010 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by flyreggiefly11 (Post 887917)
Is West Air single pilot operations?

Yup

IFR Part 135

vtbvtdk 10-21-2010 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ziggy (Post 887000)
My advice on this subject is alway the same. When you get to Vegas start knocking on hangars and throwing your resume out everywhere. I wouldn't stop at cargo. There's a lot of GA and 2 satellite airports (that I know of) in the area. This is a constantly changing industry. Someone's loosing an aircraft, someone else is gaining one and may need crews. It may be a short term gig, or could be a career. But you've got to pound the pavement.

Great advice. Applies outside of Vegas too! Good luck with your search.

Caelum Deus 10-25-2010 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by featheredprop (Post 886933)
dont take this the wrong way ....things are tough all over . I really doubt anyone can point you to any cargo job in vegas or almost anywhere west for that matter . I think you should bite the bullet and continue to instruct .

now is a really bad time to not want to flight instruct .

Not completely correct, if you can get a job now you will be top in seniority when things start picking up again