Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Job dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2010
Default Insurability

I was actually mildly chastised by the DO on behalf of the company ownership for throwing the gear down during my off-airport landing. My judgement call to extend the gear allowed me to land the aircraft with no damage whatsoever despite the mountainous terrain. The company owners would have liked to get a payout from the insurance company and now they are stuck repairing an airframe that they would like to be rid of. I was given the impression that the owners were disappointed to learn that I didn't total the airplane. Perhaps it's the company owners rather than the DO that aren't too pleased with me. Anyhow, I'm always looking for something that would provide me and my family with more financial security, but Ian the mean time I'll keep enjoying my turbine flying here in the northwest.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:00 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2008

Originally Posted by IdahoFlyer View Post
I was actually mildly chastised by the DO on behalf of the company ownership for throwing the gear down during my off-airport landing. My judgement call to extend the gear allowed me to land the aircraft with no damage whatsoever despite the mountainous terrain. The company owners would have liked to get a payout from the insurance company and now they are stuck repairing an airframe that they would like to be rid of. I was given the impression that the owners were disappointed to learn that I didn't total the airplane. Perhaps it's the company owners rather than the DO that aren't too pleased with me. Anyhow, I'm always looking for something that would provide me and my family with more financial security, but Ian the mean time I'll keep enjoying my turbine flying here in the northwest.
I think if it were me I'd be moving on. I can't really get my feeble brain around the idea of being "mildly chastised" for not totaling the airframe in an off-airport landing with three revenue passengers on board. That just sounds like a gross indifference to both yours and their safety and your future career.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:25 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: DA50EX

I'm pretty sure the medical bills if something would have happened to the pax after a gear up would have been triple what the airplane was worth...
Old 05-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

I would also try and move on, if that is the impression you are getting. It seems at some of these smaller companies that whatever mindset they have of you when you are hired, that that is how they see you from then on..

So if you were a little green with low multi-time, and not quite ready for an upgrade, that is how they will see you for 2+ years. I've seen it.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Line Holder

Default Moving on

Yeah, I'm getting the impression that I'll always be "the new guy" regardless of my experience or employment duration with the company. It's unfortunate, but I guess it's all part of this industry's mindset.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: A-320 FO

Idaho you are a true hero in my book, employing out of the box thinking so that both you and your passengers could walk away from impending disaster. It staggers the imagination why management wouldn't promote someone with your potential, but then I'm just a line Captain and not management, which is fine by me.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:04 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2010
Position: Captain

Idaho Flyer,

First off, great job on putting that bird with then engine failure down safely. Secondly, for right now you have a job, which many don't and it sounds as though it is at least paying the bills. Having said that, start looking really hard if you are not already. I would suggest some employment web sites like findapilot.com, etc.

Be really careful not to tip your hand with regards to this search, and don't make an announcement until a new job is a sure thing. I would request that a new potential employer not contact the present folks for references etc. until the last possible minute. If your Chief Pilot is sticking up for you and this is still how you are treated, it sounds as though he doesn't have much clout. Anyway, just my .02 and good luck with all.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: The Far Side

I was actually mildly chastised by the DO on behalf of the company ownership for throwing the gear down during my off-airport landing. My judgement call to extend the gear allowed me to land the aircraft with no damage whatsoever despite the mountainous terrain.
This also kept an accident / incident off of your record. Such marks cost you, even if they're not your fault. The DO and his superiors have a Mafia mentality wrt insurance claims, it seems, and don't care what an accident would do to your future (not to mention potential injuries).

Keep sending out apps while doing a good job, quietly and with class. When that happy time comes , give plenty of notice. It sounds like your CP will write a nice letter of reference. Your current company sounds like a good place to be "from".
Old 05-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Line Holder

Default Thanks

Hey all,
Thanks for the encouraging words. I'll always be on the lookout for something that may be better and it seems that now is a good time to be more ambitious about that search.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Advanced Newbie

IdahoFlyer. - Dude there are a lot of opportunities out there right now for your experience level. I don't know why you'd think you would have to go back to flying freight. I wish I had your turbine time. Stick your head up. Take a look around. That's free. Seems to me you have a lot of time where you can go interview....unless you're always on call.