Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

schedules and QOL at 135..

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 06:01 PM
Property of Scheduling

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Bus driver
Default schedules and QOL at 135..

Just wondering if some will chime in on the average work load for the month. Meaning how many days, nights away from home, was it scheduled? or were you on-call 24/7? All i have heard is rumor on the 135 front and only from a few people who hated it. Thanks..
Old 10-15-2006, 01:17 AM
Day puke

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Out.

First off, you must understand there are two types of 135: scheduled and on demand.

I have had two 135 jobs, both unsked. The first was freight. While technically unsked, we flew regular times. It was Monday evening to Saturday morning with holidays off. In at about 5pm, load, depart at 6, arrive at destination, offload, done by about 9. Slept in a hotel. Up about 430am, loaded flew home, offloaded and done by 8 am.
My current work is air ambulance. On call 24 hours, 20 days per month. Ten hardish days off (hardish becase as small as we are, when we do training or have some other unusual activity, our ten days may shift some). Home all the time not on duty. Most duty days are about 6 hours, and I only get called in about 10 days.

135 is a big hairy beast. There are many variations. With patience you can find a schedule that fits your needs.

The neat thing about my 135 experience is it has all been single pilot: challenging and satisfying.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:02 AM
Property of Scheduling

Position: Bus driver

hmm... almost sounds like a regional reserve sched..20 on call/ 10 offish.. I have a lead on a 91/135 gig (dont know if it will pan out) but trying to see if the QOL would be better than a regional. I already know the money is better...
Old 10-16-2006, 07:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: BE9,10,20

135 on demand. Every other weekend off and an additional 4-5 scheduled days off per month. On call 24/7 the rest of the time. We find out about "scheduled" trips at 5pm the day before.

It hurts the social life but you have to build time one way or another.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:25 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2005

I fly on demand in a Citation. We have a 7 on 7 off schedule. This is my third 135 job after having 2 121 regional gigs. They all have pluses and minuses. If you are going to sign a contract with this company, make sure you include some QOL language as well. Im sure that someone else could help you with things to ask for.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:39 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: Captain

I have a real on demand job. I fly on demand cargo and I'm on call 24 hours a day monday thru friday, and 2 weekends a month. When I say on call, I don't mean I call in that day and see when I'm going to fly, I mean my pager goes off and I have to be in the air 1 hour from that point. I usually fly about 100-120 hrs a month with 1 or 2 RONs a month, they usually let me decide if I want to stay out or not. I generally fly almost every day, but even if I don't I still need to be ready to go at any time. My pay is pretty good, better than most other similar jobs out there, but you definately work for it. Basically no body likes a schedule like this, some people hate it, some can tolerate it, but it's rough on your social life, particularly if you have a family.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:16 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2006

Can someone name a "scheduled" Part 135 company??
Old 11-15-2006, 09:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: LJ35 PIC

AirNet!

I check in Monday nights around 11pm and have two "nights" in a hotel and I go home every friday at 6am. Makes for a very nice weekend
Old 11-16-2006, 05:10 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: EMB 170/175 F.O.

Mine is on-demand. We call at 5 the night before to get our trip for the next day. I do about 1 RON per month. If we are not assigned a trip, we are on call 8am-5pm M-F. Each of us also covers on call about 1 weekend a month. Outside those times I may get a call, but I can say no if I want. Those happen so rarely that I usually accept them as long as I'm not tired or haven't had a drink. I average probably between 15-20 days off per month, and I get paid a straight salary.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:21 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2005
Talking

Some of the Unsked On demand Cargo operators are:

1) Kalitta Charters
2) Ameristar Jet Charters
3) USA Jet/Active Aero
4) Cherry Air
5) Grand Air (Different name now)
6) IFL
7) Royal Air

Their skeds are totally "unpredictable" You are on call 24/7 on the days you are on duty.
I know USA Jet has "Hard Days Off" & QOL & pilot moral is I would say "good" for an on demand outfit.

The rest pack a bag & hope you can do laundry in the hotel....

On Demand outfits are not for people that have families or like to have a social life.....So be careful what you sign up for.....
Also co's like Ameristar & Cherry have training contracts.....I have read on other posts & Aviation blogs that they make you sign an 18 month contract.
If you try to break that contract they do "pursue you legally"

All in all, On demand is a Crapshoot.....

Hope this helps!

Vspeeds!