Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Key Lime Air, has it changed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 12:57 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2014
Position: Cessna 208, Right Seat
Default Key Lime Air, has it changed?

Ive read a few things about Key Lime but I guess I would say that I dont know enough yet to form a good opinion on it. Does anyone know if it has improved recently? I also saw that they are hiring First Officers now with pretty low time mins, is that true? And what are the chances of actually being based at APA, I live right next to it so that would be amazing. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2014, 07:39 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2012
Position: Just because the MEL says we can, doesn't mean we should

Originally Posted by centennialfly View Post
Ive read a few things about Key Lime but I guess I would say that I dont know enough yet to form a good opinion on it. Does anyone know if it has improved recently? I also saw that they are hiring First Officers now with pretty low time mins, is that true? And what are the chances of actually being based at APA, I live right next to it so that would be amazing. Thanks!
No. Nothing about key lime is amazing.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:58 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: I pilot

Most of Key Lime's flying is done out of Denver International and there is a good chance that you will be based there. The planes mostly come to Centennial for maintenance, except the Dornier Jet and their Part 121 ops (and a couple other ops) are out of Centennial.

The founder of Key Lime was trying to get me to apply, but he literally told me that morale is low and they are trying to fix it, but I was thinking "if the founder of the company says that morale is low, then he isn't really selling me on the place very well."

The only good thing is the schedule, 4 on 3 off, but you are worked hard during the days on.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:20 PM

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

They've got a reputation for enforcing their training contracts and chasing down pilots for the cash. If you choose to apply, make sure you obtain a copy of the contract to show your contract lawyer before signing it, and have him tell you what your options are if they choose to fire you for any reason. KL has a high turnover rate in pilots. Word has it they vigorously collect money due from persons they terminate and those who leave before reaching the end of the contract.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:43 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2014

As a new pilot for Key Lime Air, it seems to me that morale is pretty good and getting better. Sure, some pilots have gripes but who doesn't?

Management is working hard on standardization in many areas. I can't speak for all pilots there but I'm enjoying the company so far.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2013

Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
Word has it they vigorously collect money due from persons they terminate and those who leave before reaching the end of the contract.
Wow, that must be a lame contract when they can chase you after THEY fire you
Old 02-11-2015, 08:57 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2013
Position: ATP, CFI, AGI

Stay away, for the love of God, STAY THE HELL AWAY. Former KLA guy here
Old 02-12-2015, 05:00 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Also a former employee. If you are looking at the FO position, that'll be pax ops for Denver Air Connection. If you fly the freight side, as far as I know it's still single-pilot. Also, don't expect a 4-day week on the freight side. Maybe they are trying to hire more now, but it was salaried at 4 days a week and extra for the other 2. You work Monday night through Saturday morning as a Metro driver , home about 8hrs every night, get your rest at the out station during the day.
Not a great family situation, unless you are on the pax side, but as a young guy trying to build hours, it's a great way to do that. Watch your 6 and don't do something stupid and it's a great job. Be prepared to WORK though.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:48 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2015

I know they have had a few crashes recently. Are they a safe company to work for? My buddy just applied to Freight Runners Express and they seem to have a better operation. Which company would be best?
Old 02-16-2015, 06:34 AM

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: ATP, CFI etc.

Originally Posted by deftone View Post
Wow, that must be a lame contract when they can chase you after THEY fire you
That's what word about town says they have/do. I used to live in Denver and I heard it several times from their former employees, it's what they apparently do enough to generate the reputation.

Be that as it may, my advice to anyone looking at a pilot training contract is, take a hard copy of it to your lawyer (see contract law in the local phone book) and ask what happens if the employer fires you for any reason. What are your legal options if that happens. If the employer refuses to allow you to take a hard, unsigned copy of the contract for this purpose, walk away from the job.

Last edited by Cubdriver; 02-16-2015 at 06:45 AM. Reason: typos