Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

What does it take...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: CA
Default What does it take...

...For me to grab a 135 job? Like flying right seat for a small corporate company. I know for right seat you don't need 135 mins, so if I got a lear type, would that help?
Old 01-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: BE-20, RA390

Originally Posted by ConnectionPilot View Post
...For me to grab a 135 job? Like flying right seat for a small corporate company. I know for right seat you don't need 135 mins, so if I got a lear type, would that help?
Corporate--private air travel for the company that owns the airplane.
135--Company issued Op Specs and an Air Carrier Certificate, can "hold out" to the public to provide air transportation.

A small corporate company would be under FAR 91. FAR 91 would mainly be dictated by any insurance requirements.
To fly 135 right seat, you need to be trained by the certificate holder under their training program, and have had a SIC checkride in the aircraft by the POI at the FSDO or company check airman.

Don't get the type just for that, because the SIC doesn't need one. If you fly international, the FSDO can issue an SIC ONLY type.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: EMB 170/175 F.O.

To fly right seat under 135 you still need 135 mins, you just don't need 135 PIC mins. If you have a commercial multi with instrument rating you're good to go for a 135 company (that flies multi engine airplanes). The trick is finding one that has a SIC program. Where I work, we don't have any SIC program for our King Airs or our 310s. Many operators fly these types of airplanes with only one pilot and an autopilot. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:56 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: BE-20, RA390

Originally Posted by iflyjets4food View Post
T If you have a commercial multi with instrument rating you're good to go for a 135 company (that flies multi engine airplanes). .
Thanks iflyjets4food, I made the assumption that was a given.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Captain

I wouldn't go out and buy a type, I know the company I work for WILL NOT hire people that pay for type ratings.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: Sofa Stress Tester

Connection: After reading a couple of your posts around the website it feels to me your looking for a shortcut.
Shortcuts are very few, those that have found them were individuals who made friends with the right people.
A United pilot told me on more than one occasion "be patient and keep pushing, it will come".
Old 01-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: None right now

I also like this one: "You're only one person away from knowing everyone you need to know."
Old 01-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: EMB 170/175 F.O.

It's very much being in the right place at the right time. I'd venture to say that most jobs are gotten by knowing someone.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:52 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: 737 Captain

I'm not a big fan of fast track programs but there is one that seems to be getting a lot of folks hired with almost no time if they are willing to fork out a large sum of money. Check out http://www.captprogram.org Let me reiterate that I am not a fan of these programs but it is a place where you can meet some people who can be very helpful negotiating the industry--and their training seems pretty sound as well (that is, for a fast track it is pretty sound). One more consideration, the current salaries for people coming out of these programs will not pay the note on their student loans. This is an important consideration. Just don't get yourself or anyone else killed in the process.

On last thing of note, if you have less than 500 hours you might be a sticking point for any 135 operator that conducts qualifying on-demand operations. You won't be able to fly these trips until you have 500 hours.

Good Luck!