Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Safety (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/safety/)
-   -   Flight data/cockpit voice on Kobe crash (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/safety/126987-flight-data-cockpit-voice-kobe-crash.html)

Seven6SevenDCA 01-26-2020 10:14 PM

Flight data/cockpit voice on Kobe crash
 
RIP to all the crash victims.

Was this helo operating under Part 135? What are the flight data recorder and CVR requirements?

badflaps 01-26-2020 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven6SevenDCA (Post 2965016)
RIP to all the crash victims.

Was this helo operating under Part 135? What are the flight data recorder and CVR requirements?

My understanding is in a previous life it was commercial. So maybe yes.

wannabee 01-26-2020 10:34 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xr46wb...ature=youtu.be

Jeff90 01-26-2020 11:33 PM

A CFIT accident it seems scud running VFR, I hate to speculate but by that last photo seems that way. RIP to everyone aboard.

Firefighter 01-27-2020 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff90 (Post 2965037)
A CFIT accident it seems scud running VFR, I hate to speculate but by that last photo seems that way. RIP to everyone aboard.



You sure? The last bit of data from the flight showed a vertical speed of -4,800+ with 161 kts


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickair7777 01-27-2020 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefighter (Post 2965055)
You sure? The last bit of data from the flight showed a vertical speed of -4,800+ with 161 kts


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't consider instantaneous mode C data to be accurate, absent other info. It's not a designed to be an FDR.

ColdWhiskey 01-27-2020 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefighter (Post 2965055)
You sure? The last bit of data from the flight showed a vertical speed of -4,800+ with 161 kts


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My helo knowledge is very limited, but I do know that a ‘retreating blade stall’ can occur after an abrupt pull up, especially when operating at high gross weight and high speed. The result of such, is loss of lift and a rolling motion to the left.

Could the pilot have suddenly realized his terrain situation, and initiated an abrupt pull up, and inadvertently stalled? This could account for the left turn and sudden altitude loss.

Another thought. Has this model of helicopter ever had an instance of the rotor disc contacting the tail boom, after an abrupt pull up?

Jeff90 01-27-2020 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdWhiskey (Post 2965339)
My helo knowledge is very limited, but I do know that a ‘retreating blade stall’ can occur after an abrupt pull up, especially when operating at high gross weight and high speed. The result of such, is loss of lift and a rolling motion to the left.

Could the pilot have suddenly realized his terrain situation, and initiated an abrupt pull up, and inadvertently stalled? This could account for the left turn and sudden altitude loss.

Another thought. Has this model of helicopter ever had an instance of the rotor disc contacting the tail boom, after an abrupt pull up?

this is what I believe to have happened

Adlerdriver 01-28-2020 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff90 (Post 2965367)
this is what I believe to have happened

Guess we can send the NTSB home. Jeff has it all sorted out. Gotta be a record - not sure the fire from the crash is cold yet. :rolleyes:

Vital Signs 01-28-2020 08:11 AM

Nevermind. Had footage but don’t think it was the kobe crash


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:48 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright ©2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands