Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Cargo
FDX--Furlough not possible?  Think again... >

FDX--Furlough not possible? Think again...

Search
Notices
Cargo Part 121 cargo airlines

FDX--Furlough not possible? Think again...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 06:14 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by FreightDawgyDog View Post
"Based on the sentiments I've head and read from Age 65 crowd here at FDX, I have zero doubt they will push the MEC to work for a furlough once the BLG gets reduced. What's the point of them sticking around for five more years if they working for 25-35% less pay? I mean, it IS all about the money...their money. "

Bingo and bingo! Don't forget these guys will retire before the next contract so they don't take a hit for retiring before Age 65 as well. Another win/win for them and a loss/loss for those not in their special group. If we are counting on this group to act unselfishly we are wasting our time. If JJ wants to hang around just to spite guys who wish he would go so that others would not have to sacrifice for him I think that says a lot. He is the perfect example of this particular segment of the S/O population. He has a full retirement that he started collecting years ago, knew the rules going in on Age 60, advocates the change anyway and expects us all to sacrifice for him to the tune of possible furloughs and a 30% pay cut. And he is one of the more reasonable in his group. I'm with the guy that says anyone who stays when they have a full retirement needs to know we don't appreciate being forced to bear the burdens their selfish behavior has wrought. These guys didn't care about stifling hiring and growth for 5 years when they were fighting for the change so they would get 5 more years at the top and I don't think furloughs and pay cuts will matter to them either. Hell, JJ may do it just to prove a point to a guy who's opinion he didn't like. Happy New Year everyone. In 5 years when these leeches are gone I will throw a party! Of course after 5 years of stagnation and pay cuts, it may not be as big as I would have liked!!
Good Morning. Before my missive, let me just say HOW BOUT THEM N.E. PATRIOTS!

Now to the business at hand.

OK FDD,
Here are the facts. They are indisputable.
1. After 17 years at FedEx, of which only 4 were as a junior captain, my retirement benefit, as sent to me by the FedEx retirement folks a few months ago is going to be $5400.10 per month. That’s taking the 100% surviving spouse option.
2. After 34 years in the military, the vast majority of which was as a traditional Guardsman, I receive, according to my 1099R, $2282.46 per month, before taxes.
3. My savings and investments are none of your business.
4. I’m married to the same girl I married back in 1970.
5. I ‘m in the same house we bought 21 years ago, with no mortgage.
6. So excluding savings and investments, the total I can expect to receive, without Social Security benefits, after taxes is about $69,142 a year. Is that a “normal retirement”? I think not.
7. Whereas I have felt, for some time now, that the age 60 change was the right thing to do, I have never, not in any way, been an advocate of that change.
8. Prior to my turning 60, I had decided I wanted to continue to work, so I went to the back of the 727. I’ve served in that capacity since June of 2006. If I get back to a left seat, that will be nice, if not, so be it.
9. If I decide to stay, it will not be “to prove a point to a guy whose opinion [I] don’t like”, it will be because that’s what I decide is the best thing for me to do. Conversely, if I decide to retire, it will not be because of anything that’s been said on this board, specifically not the name calling, not the implied threats, or the total lack of professionalism shown by the majority of you younger guys. It will be because that’s what I decide is the best thing for me to do.

Here are my observations. They too are indisputable, because they are my observations.
1. Guys on this board over react to everything, coming up with scenarios that might or might not come to be, and then they embellish them, always with a negative spin. Always.
2. Guys on this board, the majority of them being fairly junior have continued to show a sense of entitlement that is beyond belief. This company is not here for you. We’re here for them. If you don’t like the way you’re treated, or the money you make, leave.
3. There are very few senior guys on this board. Why? I can only suppose that they, after all their years of moving the freight, are sort of less interested in what you have to say.
4. No one likes to be called names. I know I don’t, and I have tried to maintain an even keel when discussing these contentious issues, but a number of you feel that, due in part to the anonymity of the internet, it’s ok to name call and disrespect someone, for no other reason than their opinions differ from yours.

So, FDD, that's it. I had promised myself not to get embroiled in this age 60 thing, but, being from New York, I have found it difficult to just sit on the sidelines and "listen" to the constant complaints.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:28 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: leaning to the left

JJ, you ignorant slut!!

The n.e. patriots are cheaters!

The rest of your post seems reasonable.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

JJ 5400 + 2286 = 7686 per month or 92232 per year, not $69142. Senility has set in already
Old 12-30-2007, 06:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: leaning to the left

After taxes?
Old 12-30-2007, 06:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

so 70k after taxes isn't enough? my parents never made 70K in their life
Old 12-30-2007, 06:58 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2007

Originally Posted by MAWK90 View Post
Understood Gunter. We need to all put our collective heads together and let our elected reps know how we feel.

Ummm, They have more proxy votes than you. And they will bring a lawyer to explain why the proxies you brought are filled out incorrectly.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:07 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2007

Originally Posted by Jetjok View Post
So, tell me again, who died and made you boss? Will you say the same thing to everyone who now turns 60 and decides to continue working. Guys like you make me sick! And truth be told, it's guys like you that make me want to hang around.
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah and I STILL would like two creams and one sugar. No, I can wait for the cruise card - coffee first please.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:14 AM
Trust but Verify!!

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: MD11 CRA

"Good Morning. Before my missive, let me just say HOW BOUT THEM N.E. PATRIOTS!"

Congrats..they played well and Eli played like Eli in the second half.

"Now to the business at hand.

OK FDD,
Here are the facts. They are indisputable.
1. After 17 years at FedEx, of which only 4 were as a junior captain, my retirement benefit, as sent to me by the FedEx retirement folks a few months ago is going to be $5400.10 per month. That’s taking the 100% surviving spouse option."

Sounds like a good choice of yours..

"2. After 34 years in the military, the vast majority of which was as a traditional Guardsman, I receive, according to my 1099R, $2282.46 per month, before taxes."

Sounds reasonable. I think that is about what my Dad gets as an 0-5 retiree.

"3. My savings and investments are none of your business.
4. I’m married to the same girl I married back in 1970.
5. I ‘m in the same house we bought 21 years ago, with no mortgage."

Not my business and I never asked you for this info. If it makes you feel better to provide some of it than that's your business.

"6. So excluding savings and investments, the total I can expect to receive, without Social Security benefits, after taxes is about $69,142 a year. Is that a “normal retirement”? I think not."

And you want to lecture us about a feeling of entitlement? I'd say a large majority of people in this world and even country, would feel very grateful for such a blessing. If it's not enough for you though again it's not my business.

"7. Whereas I have felt, for some time now, that the age 60 change was the right thing to do, I have never, not in any way, been an advocate of that change."

Honestly I can't be bothered searching through your 1,209 posts to find somewhere where you did. You sure seem defensive about those that want to stay and fought for the change for someone who was not an advocate. Anyway, I'll just have to take your word for the above.

"8. Prior to my turning 60, I had decided I wanted to continue to work, so I went to the back of the 727. I’ve served in that capacity since June of 2006. If I get back to a left seat, that will be nice, if not, so be it."

Tell that to the guys who may have to take a pay cut or lose their job because you still want to work.

"9. If I decide to stay, it will not be “to prove a point to a guy whose opinion [i] don’t like”, it will be because that’s what I decide is the best thing for me to do. Conversely, if I decide to retire, it will not be because of anything that’s been said on this board, specifically not the name calling, not the implied threats, or the total lack of professionalism shown by the majority of you younger guys. It will be because that’s what I decide is the best thing for me to do."

OK, so you didn't post earlier that guys of a certain opinion makes you want to stay? My bad then because I could have sworn you did. Again. I'll take your word for it.

"Here are my observations. They too are indisputable, because they are my observations."

Yep, we have 1,209 examples of them.

"1. Guys on this board over react to everything, coming up with scenarios that might or might not come to be, and then they embellish them, always with a negative spin. Always.
2. Guys on this board, the majority of them being fairly junior have continued to show a sense of entitlement that is beyond belief. This company is not here for you. We’re here for them. If you don’t like the way you’re treated, or the money you make, leave."

I would love to tell you what to do with your haughty and arrogant opinion here but will instead just say Happy New Year and get the log out of your own eye first. Show me where I have ever complained about working here. At least I only gave you 300 or so posts to check. See my remarks about your hypocritical remarks about people with a "sense of entitlement" above.

"3. There are very few senior guys on this board. Why? I can only suppose that they, after all their years of moving the freight, are sort of less interested in what you have to say."

You are right about them not caring what junior pilots think. Especially those running the union. That has been apparent for the last 2 years at least.

"4. No one likes to be called names. I know I don’t, and I have tried to maintain an even keel when discussing these contentious issues, but a number of you feel that, due in part to the anonymity of the internet, it’s ok to name call and disrespect someone, for no other reason than their opinions differ from yours."

No you would rather tell them they have a sense of entitlement and act like that's not name calling. Whatever man, once again you contradict yourself.

"So, FDD, that's it. I had promised myself not to get embroiled in this age 60 thing, but, being from New York, I have found it difficult to just sit on the sidelines and "listen" to the constant complaints."

Yeah JJ, I remember reading before where you were done with commenting on all this yet somehow you always find a way to deliver another missive from on high and tell us all the way it really is! Let me add to your list above that the junior guys on this board are really tired of being lectured by you. If you don't like what pilots younger than you have to say than feel free to exercise your right to ignore it. In the meantime I think there are a lot of legitimate concerns to talk about that have a negative effect on those junior pilots you "complain" about "complaining" about above. That is what this board is all about last time I checked. If you expect guys like me to just read what you write and bow down at the altar of JJ's truth without responding than I promise you that you will remain disappointed. I really do wish you well with your health JJ and hope your recovery continues to go well. That doesn't translate to accepting all you say as Gospel. I hope you understand..
Old 12-30-2007, 07:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

I do understand and actually believe your good wishes for my health. However, my entire last post was based on falsehoods you mentioned in your previous post, and I thought I needed to correct them. I don't disagree with the concerns about the negative effects on the junior guys. I just wish you'd get all your facts straight, instead of lumping all us over 60 guys together as guys who have full retirements, both here and at other places.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by 290kts View Post
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah and I STILL would like two creams and one sugar. No, I can wait for the cruise card - coffee first please.
I'm sorry, f/o, did you say something!