RAF Harrier Crash

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to
I wonder who was filming this. Amazing to capture this event on video. I'm assuming the pilot is ok?
Dramatic escape for pilot who ejected as his RAF Harrier jet crashed in Afghanistan | Mail Online

I believe this is the same crash. Same date, at least. If so, the pilot was OK.
Cool vid... I saw a Harrier crash at Kadena AB, JA, either in 98 or 99. Full AB takeoff, got about 25 feet in the air before he came right back down to the deck and caught on fire. He ejected right before the jet skidded into the infield, got about half a swing. Amazing thing to see live!
One Small Problem....
Deuce:

Harriers don't have AB....

Sounds like he was on fire from the get-go....

Great article. Mentions that no passengers were on board(thank goodness) and the plane was heavily damaged.
The article also mentions:
Quote:
It is thought that the RAF pilot ejected after the Harrier's undercarriage failed to lower as it came in to land.
It looks like the gear is four down and locked to me.
The article makes comments abour doing a Vertical landing too.
I've seen videos of them doing that before when the gear really wouldn't come down.

Come on all of you Harrier guys! Chime in here!

USMCFLYR
Quote: The article also mentions:

It looks like the gear is four down and locked to me.
The article makes comments abour doing a Vertical landing too.
I've seen videos of them doing that before when the gear really wouldn't come down.

Come on all of you Harrier guys! Chime in here!

USMCFLYR
No - I think it was "gear down AND 3.5 locked" You gotta love the marine/navy guys...if they can throw in more extraneous comm to gum up the radios, they surely will. "Gear down" kinda assumes it's actually locked in the down position or you wouldn't call "gear down" in the first place right? I know, the thought is just crazy...
I'm guessing it wasn't a known emergency since ordnance was still on the jet?
Quote: Deuce:

Harriers don't have AB....

Sounds like he was on fire from the get-go....
LOL! Looks like he was! How funny!
Quote: No - I think it was "gear down AND 3.5 locked" You gotta love the marine/navy guys...if they can throw in more extraneous comm to gum up the radios, they surely will. "Gear down" kinda assumes it's actually locked in the down position or you wouldn't call "gear down" in the first place right? I know, the thought is just crazy...
Since the standardized call is actually just "Gear", it doesn't really seem too extraneous
And Scrapdog - - come on now....someone from the AF is going to lecture anyone about extraneous comm???
Btw - all is good - but slow.

USMCFLYR
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to