Texting pilot crashes air ambulance.

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 2 of 5
Go to
Quote: How many times have you seen your coworker texting during pushback, taxi, or flight?
Never. Sounds like a culture problem at airline X. You either adhere to sterile cockpit or you don't.
Most of our pilots are also over 35 or at least getting close. Perhaps it's a problem with the younger crowd.
Quote: Never. Sounds like a culture problem at airline X. You either adhere to sterile cockpit or you don't.
Most of our pilots are also over 35 or at least getting close. Perhaps it's a problem with the younger crowd.
Unfortunately this is not a culture problem confined to airline X nor an issue with the younger set. I have also witnessed pilots of all ages engaging in this practice. It might go against common sense and the GOM, Etc. but is often encouraged by some management. There have also been several aircraft accidents, that I am aware of, where texting was, at least, a causal factor. I am still in favor of Cell phones being available for backup or emergency communications use; they just need to be used responsibly. As far as automobiles; Cell phone records are commonly pulled by the police and insurance companies during investigations of certain types of accidents. Additionally many new cars come equipped with data recorders. I am not sure of the parameters recorded, but we are being watched...
Quote: Unfortunately this is not a culture problem confined to airline X nor an issue with the younger set. I have also witnessed pilots of all ages engaging in this practice.
Once flew with a 50+ captain who as we were flying along, coming up to some intersection, tells me that pilot so-and-so lives down there. Then proceeds to pull out his phone and call pilot so-and-so, leaving a voicemail. How he got service at 14,000 confuses me to this day.
Quote: This is going too far IMO. If they were to do this, why not pull everyone who gets pulled over for something credit card statements for the last 30 days and figure out how many times they had drinks while out to dinner so they could hang em with a DUI or two?
Quote: Ridiculous.
I might have been sitting in the grocery store parking lot asking my parents what they wanted me to pick up for Thanksgiving dinner.
Sarcasm guys.

Point being, if it's ridiculous for drivers maybe it's ridiculous for pilots too.
Quote: Are you telling us that your airline's SOP's allow you to text while flying and it is only at the captain's discretion as to whether to allow it or not??
No I'm telling you that most FO's don't take the SOP seriously in this regard. And that leads me to suspect that they are learning by example.
Quote: Once flew with a 50+ captain who as we were flying along, coming up to some intersection, tells me that pilot so-and-so lives down there. Then proceeds to pull out his phone and call pilot so-and-so, leaving a voicemail. How he got service at 14,000 confuses me to this day.
Probably an old analog phone...I've seen them work at FL350. You still needed analog in some parts of the US (especially the mountain west) just a few years ago.
Quote: Sarcasm guys.

Point being, if it's ridiculous for drivers maybe it's ridiculous for pilots too.
Sorry then rickair.
Your post looked like a solution that you thought should be put forward.
You forgot to use the sarcasm face too!
Quote: Once flew with a 50+ captain who as we were flying along, coming up to some intersection, tells me that pilot so-and-so lives down there. Then proceeds to pull out his phone and call pilot so-and-so, leaving a voicemail. How he got service at 14,000 confuses me to this day.
Not hard to believe, at all; though logic might dictate that would be more common with a student, private pilot or the omnipotent businessman. For many local or smaller operators; the Cell phone has become the "poor mans" ARINC or ACARS... Additionally, It states in all manuals that come with Cell phones, to not use them in an aircraft (while flying), though that is due to system issues. They are great for void time clearances on the ground at some uncontrolled fields however.
Texting pilot crashes air ambulance.
I Call BULL**** on the texting. I also call BULL**** on ANY Captain who says no texting at gate or push. Taxing, takeoff and landing its not a good idea. Other than that not a problem. Get over yourselves and realize it won't ever stop. People will always be connected no matter what law or reg.
another one [article about the same mishap]....
NTSB probes case of texting helicopter pilot
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 2 of 5
Go to