Air Force buying Ipads

Subscribe
1  2  3  4 
Page 3 of 4
Go to
Some of the Marine helicopter squadrons I worked with in AFG last spring were trying out iPads and others were starting to use Garmin 696s. They seemed to like them, but were running into issues regarding what they could load onto them based on security regulations. I was supporting them with customized paper maps. They liked the iPads because they could draw simple operational graphics right onto the image/map background, such as lines or circles delineating things to hit or to avoid, for example. Obviously, you run into OPSEC issues, especially if one goes missing.
Quote: Won't get into details here, but basically it's e-readers for now but there are some long term plans to get integrated EFBs into AMC's fleet.
And this is how a $1.5 million iPad EFB program, deliverable in six months, evolves into a $1.5 billion retrofit of the entire AMC fleet that will take 10-15 years to deliver.

The iPad is functional as an eReader (of T.Os. or AFIs) and EFB (NGA is beta testing an iPad app right now). The only issue I see is battery life, but since I know the KC-135 and C-17 have 110V power, I don't see why that should be a show stopper. I don't know what kind of power the C-5, KC-10, et al have.

A good first step would be to allow in-flight use of iPad for ePubs and FLIP by individuals who already own an iPad. Continue to carry paper FLIP till AF gives its blessing. I would personally feel more comfortable with the currency of my pubs on my own iPad than I would the paper Dash-1 sitting in the jet.
Quote: Some of the Marine helicopter squadrons I worked with in AFG last spring were trying out iPads and others were starting to use Garmin 696s. They seemed to like them, but were running into issues regarding what they could load onto them based on security regulations. I was supporting them with customized paper maps. They liked the iPads because they could draw simple operational graphics right onto the image/map background, such as lines or circles delineating things to hit or to avoid, for example. Obviously, you run into OPSEC issues, especially if one goes missing.
Marine fixed wing and helo squadrons have been using the iPad in AFG since the fall of 2010.
Quote: The Air Force made a decision to put a new ejection seat in the T-38, at a cost of 1 million per jet. Sounded good on paper....but no one tried it as a prototype. Turns out you can't see squat from the back seat.

I think the ipads will not be that handy in a fighter-type airplane.
USC Gamecocks are replacing the current stadium grass with paper. The 'cocks always look good on paper.
What was wrong with a pubs bag and a cheater card? (for reference only).

Oh look cupcakes!
Maybe not?

"Report: Air Force Kills Plans for iPad Order"

Report: Air Force Kills Plans for iPad Order | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

"The U.S. Air Force has cancelled its plans to order thousands of iPads to be used as electronic flight bags, NextGov has learned.

Earlier this month, reports surfaced that the Air Force's Air Mobility Command would buy anywhere between 63 to 18,000 iPad 2s (or another type of tablet) to replace the traditional hefty flight bags pilots must carry. NextGov said the command has not provided a reason for cancelling the move. "
Quote: NextGov said the command has not provided a reason for cancelling the move. "
40% budget cuts perhaps?
No, the money is going to be used for more resiliency days...
Quote:
"Air Force's Air Mobility Command would buy anywhere between 63 to 18,000 iPad 2s. "
Hmmmm, 63 to 18,000 units...???
The customers are not talking to the engineers. It is like our new pubs holder in the T-6 that are worthless.
1  2  3  4 
Page 3 of 4
Go to