Is being Relief Pilot detrimental to career

Subscribe
Hello all,

I recently started with Air Canada as a relief pilot on the 777. As I am planning to move south of the border to start working there pretty soon, I was wondering if being relief pilot, as opposed to regular FO is detrimental when it comes to applying for jobs. I have a ton of experience as FO, just won't have any recent landings or TOs except for the sim.
Anyone has any experience when it comes to that?

Cheers

Tom
Quote: Hello all,

I recently started with Air Canada as a relief pilot on the 777. As I am planning to move south of the border to start working there pretty soon, I was wondering if being relief pilot, as opposed to regular FO is detrimental when it comes to applying for jobs. I have a ton of experience as FO, just won't have any recent landings or TOs except for the sim.

Cheers

Tom
And unfortunately… you won’t either. As for finding work… it’s depends on your work experience. Naturally you would have to obtain a US ATP, which should be no problem, then start the application process. Hope it all works out for you.
I don't think it will matter, as long as you're airline current (sim or real world), you'll get full credit for your flight time, as far as the application process goes.

At the interview, you might get asked why you bid bunkie, but I'm sure you can defuse that... more $, better schedule, domicile, etc are all good answers.

Don't say that you suck at landings, and they scare you.
Quote: I don't think it will matter, as long as you're airline current (sim or real world), you'll get full credit for your flight time, as far as the application process goes.

At the interview, you might get asked why you bid bunkie, but I'm sure you can defuse that... more $, better schedule, domicile, etc are all good answers.

Don't say that you suck at landings, and they scare you.
im not sure if air Canada works this way, but in a lot of airlines outside the states being a relief FO is the entry level position. After which you can move up to NB FO, kinda like being an FE back in the day. So it may be less of he bid that position and more if he was hired into that spot.

OP is this how AC works or do you start on NBs?

And I don’t think any hiring departments will have any issues with that either way.
Yeah, it actually MAY work against you, it in THIS hiring environment I can’t picture it making any practical difference. They’ll hire you and be glad to get you.
Quote: Hello all,

Cheers

Tom
This would be my absolute dream retirement gig. Babysit the plane in cruise, nice layovers, fly the sim when needed, travel with my wife. Finally punch the childhood dream of flying at a major.

I hope in 5-6 years they're short pilots enough to hire Americans, I live 60 minutes from YUL and Montreal is the closest major city. Problem is by the time I retire from CBP, I won't have flown a jet in like 10 years. Doubt they're gonna be too stoked on 4,000 hours of VFR Astar time. Oh well.
Quote: im not sure if air Canada works this way, but in a lot of airlines outside the states being a relief FO is the entry level position. After which you can move up to NB FO, kinda like being an FE back in the day. So it may be less of he bid that position and more if he was hired into that spot.

OP is this how AC works or do you start on NBs?

And I don’t think any hiring departments will have any issues with that either way.

You can actually bid NB FO too. I had to bid WB for commutability. WB RP was the only WB spot available. But you can effectively bid whatever you want based on slots. If it wasn't for the career perspective and the option to go south I would agree 100%. Especially if you have previous experience and don't need the hours. Easiest life there is - especially for as long as they keep the current salary. Might be a different story if the change the payscales.