Commuting to ANC as a new-hire

Subscribe
1  2  3  4 
Page 4 of 4
Go to
Quote: Wouldn't it be a lot easier to commute to sdf???
May not have that choice due to seniority.
Guys have been forced to anc in every class. You will train in anc and be locked for 18 months after release to the line. Plus one bid a year, so if you just miss it then add 12 months plus time to start trng 2-4 month.

Best case 18-22 months in anc
Worst case 32-34 months in anc

All the time junior
Quote: Guys have been forced to anc in every class. You will train in anc and be locked for 18 months after release to the line. Plus one bid a year, so if you just miss it then add 12 months plus time to start trng 2-4 month.

Best case 18-22 months in anc
Worst case 32-34 months in anc

All the time junior
This isn't entirely true.

1) Some crewmembers have bid ANC and have not been forced there.
2) The "seat lock" (not domicile lock) begins on the first day of employment, not when released to the line.
3) MD crewmembers could potentially bid for and be awarded SDF before ever stepping foot in ANC. 74Y, not so much.
4) Not all ANC crewmembers are receiving initial training in ANC. Most of the MD crewmembers from from the February 27 class (all awarded ANC) are training in SDF, for instance.
5) The 2017 ANC MD hires have much better seniority than the SDF hires.

There are pros and cons of both domiciles. If an easy commute is your priority, SDF is probably a better choice, depending on where you live. For those coming aboard soon, be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.

RB
Quote: This isn't entirely true.

1) Some crewmembers have bid ANC and have not been forced there.
2) The "seat lock" (not domicile lock) begins on the first day of employment, not when released to the line.
3) MD crewmembers could potentially bid for and be awarded SDF before ever stepping foot in ANC. 74Y, not so much.
4) Not all ANC crewmembers are receiving initial training in ANC. Most of the MD crewmembers from from the February 27 class (all awarded ANC) are training in SDF, for instance.
5) The 2017 ANC MD hires have much better seniority than the SDF hires.

There are pros and cons of both domiciles. If an easy commute is your priority, SDF is probably a better choice, depending on where you live. For those coming aboard soon, be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.

RB

I almost NEVER come on these boards but since I'm here, your answer seems very informed. Assuming one got the job (or an interview first for that matter...), is all or 90% of SDF flying late night shows? Is ANC more morning / early afternoon shows? Is there a nice balance to each base? Part of me would want the more "normal" schedule, and part of me would rather have an easy commute. For that matter, I'd honestly move my family to SDF, whereas ANC not so much. Is most of SDF flying domestic or do you still get a nice balance of international trips as well? Does it just mean you start in SDF, but then fly to ANC on leg 1 and around the world for the following days?

FWIW, my application status currently shows ACTIVE in Green. Do most folks with ACTIVE vs. ON FILE get the chance to interview at some point? Thanks for any info!
Quote:
FWIW, my application status currently shows ACTIVE in Green. Do most folks with ACTIVE vs. ON FILE get the chance to interview at some point? Thanks for any info!
Mine has shown ACTIVE in black with a green thumbs up for the last two years. I can update the application. Not sure if anyone really knows
Quote: May not have that choice due to seniority.
BS. In DEC 2016 the most junior CM was a pre 2014 hire, junior guys were displaced out earlier in the year. Any one left over could have held something in sdf on the 2017 vacancy bid. No seat lock applied. They are up there by choice.
1  2  3  4 
Page 4 of 4
Go to