Major Legacy, National, and LCC

Is it a reasonable plan?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: PA31T2
Default Is it a reasonable plan?

I know this topic has been touched on several times on the boards, but I would appreciate any input regarding my situation.

I am currently flying charter for a local FBO in a Cheyenne II, IIXL, and occasionally a King Air 90. I also have experience in the Cessna 400 series as air ambulance. No 121 experience.

My current times are: 3600TT / 2600 ME / 1400 Turboprop, I would expect to gain somewhere around 200-300 more hrs by next year.

I will be retiring from the fire department June 30, 2008. I will be 46 years old.

So now to the real question. Considering age/experience, any chance of getting picked up by a major? I know I could most likely get picked up by a regional, but I don't know if that’s what I want. Pay wouldn't really be a factor as I will be getting my retirement.

Thoughts / Comments / Ideas?
Old 02-26-2007, 05:30 PM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

How much crew and Turbine PIC? Those are the real factors that will draw attention to your anonymous resume.

Also you are at a disadvantage with some airlines due to having no large aircraft or turbojet time, as well as no 121 time.

Realistically, you would need to know someone at most airlines just to get an interview. If you have enough of the right kind of turbine PIC, a year or two as an FO on an RJ might round out your resume (or it might not).

Check out SWA, if you meet their mins plus some they might interview you without an internal rec.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:31 PM
captains food tester

Joined APC: Jul 2006

You could definitly get picked up. I had guys in my new hire class at NWA in 96 in their 50's. Same at Brown. If you want it, and are persistant, and have some luck, you will get in.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:37 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: 767/757 Capt.

Cheyennedrvr: You have decent time in an airplane and you will have a comfortable retirement I’m sure. But to convince a major to hire you you will have to get on with a commute airline first. You should have no problem with your hours but you lack the “crew concept” of airline flying. A commuter job will also get you about 800 to 900 more hours a year. One of the best stories I ever heard was when I was in captain school and a 50+ new hire was in my class. He told me how he flew for Midway Airlines until they went under. When United called him for the interview he and his wife cried at the dinner table. I asked if they cried all over again when he was hire and he said “ no, I still don’t believe it”. Keep the faith.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Line Holder

Position: PA31T2

Thanks for the input. I know that the biggest negative for me is the 121 time. All of my time other than ancient dual and/or AC checkouts, flight reviews, etc has been single pilot ops. I don't know if that is a plus or not.

The other idea I have been kicking around is going to a frac. for a year or two, then try for the majors. Would 48-49ish years old put me out of the running? Not considering the possible age 60 change.

Does a major consider length of service available to them when making decisions (10 yrs of piloting vs 15-20yrs)?

Again thanks for the input, any other thoughts?
Old 02-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Line Holder

There were two guys in my USAir newhire class that were in their mid-50s. I know one guy that guy hired at Delta at the age of 56. No kidding. You're not too old. They used to look at that but not really any longer. Figure out where you could stand living based on the bases of the commuters and start from there. Look at each commuter's junior base and figure on starting there and if you're willing to stay at a junior base you'll have a better quality of life and maybe upgrade quicker. Go somewhere you can upgrade within 3 years or so and you'll be primed when everyone starts hiring again. Won't guarantee you a job but at least you'll be in a good spot.

Good luck.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:46 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: 767/757 Capt.

"The other idea I have been kicking around is going to a frac. for a year or two, then try for the majors. Would 48-49ish years old put me out of the running? Not considering the possible age 60 change."

A fractional job would also be a way to go and perhaps even be the post career path you may enjoy. There are many that go from the fracs to airlines.
Airline are not allowed to discriminate against age along with the useual list of others. But often in the interview they will want to see why your age does not correlate to your flight time. That you chose to go into firefighting instead of flying may cause some concern that you really never wanted it bad enough in the first place. Have a good reason in hand for that one.