Florida Crews : time off after H. Irma?

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
I'm flying a Hawker 800 for a 135 operation and getting ready to start interviewing for regionals, trying to make sure I don't jump from the frying pan into the fire. Wondering for all you Florida based crews, how did your company treat you after hurricane Irma? My company wanted me back at work on tuesday, the day after the storm, then last minute I ended up going back on wednesday, till friday. IMO this was BS, I had a tree on my travel trailer that I live in, no power, and concerned about looters where I live out in the sticks west of Orlando. How was this handled by 121 operators?
Generally you just call in emergency. Like calling in sick, except your CP may ask for an explanation.
At airwis it was real simple. Chief pilot knew what was going on and approved time off from my trip to get home early (PTO) to do preparations. After the storm, I couldn’t get back to my base due to flight cancellations and approved more PTO and positive space ticket if needed when I could get back. The chief pilots and director of flight ops were in constant contact with me seeing how the family and I were doing during Irma. It was real easy and they genuinely cared about our wellbeing.
Quote: At airwis it was real simple. Chief pilot knew what was going on and approved time off from my trip to get home early (PTO) to do preparations. After the storm, I couldn’t get back to my base due to flight cancellations and approved more PTO and positive space ticket if needed when I could get back. The chief pilots and director of flight ops were in constant contact with me seeing how the family and I were doing during Irma. It was real easy and they genuinely cared about our wellbeing.
This is how it should be!
Quote: I'm flying a Hawker 800 for a 135 operation and getting ready to start interviewing for regionals, trying to make sure I don't jump from the frying pan into the fire. Wondering for all you Florida based crews, how did your company treat you after hurricane Irma? My company wanted me back at work on tuesday, the day after the storm, then last minute I ended up going back on wednesday, till friday. IMO this was BS, I had a tree on my travel trailer that I live in, no power, and concerned about looters where I live out in the sticks west of Orlando. How was this handled by 121 operators?
Piedmont Airlines (A wholly owned subsidiary of American Airlines) was very understanding and accommodating to affected personnel. American Airlines Group as a whole has worked to accommodate affected personnel (they understand as operations in their second largest hub were affected).
Quote: Piedmont Airlines (A wholly owned subsidiary of American Airlines) was very understanding and accommodating to affected personnel. American Airlines Group as a whole has worked to accommodate affected personnel (they understand as operations in their second largest hub were affected).
Same at PSA. CPs, DoO and union worked together to help pilots in the storms path.

I worked as I was not affected but it was nice to see the company help out it's employees instead of doing what was best for the bottom line.

Kudos.(for once)
Quote: Same at PSA. CPs, DoO and union worked together to help pilots in the storms path.

I worked as I was not affected but it was nice to see the company help out it's employees instead of doing what was best for the bottom line.

Kudos.(for once)
I have an interview with PSA Oct 3. Good to hear
Quote: Same at PSA. CPs, DoO and union worked together to help pilots in the storms path.

Kudos.(for once)
CPs were great with their handling of the whole situation. Not a single complaint from me.
Quote: I'm flying a Hawker 800 for a 135 operation and getting ready to start interviewing for regionals, trying to make sure I don't jump from the frying pan into the fire. Wondering for all you Florida based crews, how did your company treat you after hurricane Irma? My company wanted me back at work on tuesday, the day after the storm, then last minute I ended up going back on wednesday, till friday. IMO this was BS, I had a tree on my travel trailer that I live in, no power, and concerned about looters where I live out in the sticks west of Orlando. How was this handled by 121 operators?
You'll find that, in general, people are treated better at 121 vs 135. Your experience is typical of 135.
Quote: You'll find that, in general, people are treated better at 121 vs 135. Your experience is typical of 135.
Hallelujah. my 135 experience has not been very warm or fuzzy.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to