First Class Medical Question during training

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
Hello all. I found out I have been hired and have been confirmed for a mid-Jan class date!

My 1st class medical will expire during class (over 40).

Am I required to maintain the PIC (6 month) medical during class as an FO, or can I let it go until 1 yr --> to 2nd Class?

Thanks in advance. Just want to get my ducks lined up.
Quote: Hello all. I found out I have been hired and have been confirmed for a mid-Jan class date!

My 1st class medical will expire during class (over 40).

Am I required to maintain the PIC (6 month) medical during class as an FO, or can I let it go until 1 yr --> to 2nd Class?

Thanks in advance. Just want to get my ducks lined up.
No need to keep 1st class until you upgrade. You're gonna need 1st class once a year and the company will reimburse.
All you need as a FO is a 2nd class. I stopped getting a 1st class when I quit my last job.
Will he need the 1st class for the type ride?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Simulator check-rides do not require a medical. You can get a type rating in the sim without a medical. You just can't exercise the privilege until you have one in hand.
Thank you for all the responses! That helps a ton!
Quote: Thank you for all the responses! That helps a ton!
Just know that a 1st class doesn't become a 2nd after a year. It reverts to a 3rd. You'd have to get a 2nd class medical exam and then it'll last a year.
According to the New Hire Guide you need to have a "Valid First or Second Class Medical that does not expire until at least 4 months after your training start date."
Quote: Just know that a 1st class doesn't become a 2nd after a year. It reverts to a 3rd. You'd have to get a 2nd class medical exam and then it'll last a year.
Oh. I was thinking after 6 months it reverts to a second (over 40). That was my concern. Feb is 6 months for me. I have not been an FO since turning 40 and I do not know how it works.

Thanks for clarifying
Medical
Ask your recruiter. Better yet, don’t bother. Go the extra mile ahead of time and get it in January. Show up ready.
Gumby
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to