How long did it take to earn CFI?

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 3 of 3
Go to
Quote: When was this? I got my CFI, CFII and MEI in 1981, all by DE, never saw the FSDO get involved. Is this a new thing?
There were a few decades where the FAA almost exclusively administered the initial CFI, probably a quality control issue. Now there seems to be a rebound in DPE's authorized to give the initial CFI again....probably a human resource issue. Took mine in 1987 and didn't have a choice but to go with an FAA Inspector. It was about a 50% pass rate at the time. Perhaps someone with more insight can chime in.
it used to be up until the last 5 years that the feds wanted to do all CFI rides. and in certain FSDO areas they still do. But for some reason they are so busy that they simply do not have the inspectors to do all CFI rides in most regions so are pushing them to a DPE. I Did mine in the DFW area and they were 4 months out on a fed. I was happy to pay the 450 for a DPE. its my understanding they are even more $$ now.
450! its now 1000$ for CFI initial in the NYC area.
Quote: 450! its now 1000$ for CFI initial in the NYC area.
Haha! Yep, down here in Tennessee it's around $1,000 some are more. God forbid you have a bad day and need to come back thats another $500 *discounted rate*
1  2  3 
Page 3 of 3
Go to