Looking For a Cleareance Delivery Cheat Sheet

Subscribe
1  2  3  4 
Page 2 of 4
Go to
Make it easy. Work smarter not harder.
You already know where you are going, right? I mean you filed it you ought to. Why waste time writing it in when they are reading you the clearance? Write it in before hand. Same thing with the departure frequency. Its on the approach plate, just look at it. 98% of the time it is going to be the same, but every once and a while they change it. Thats good enough odds for me, so just write that in before hand as well. Check fltplan.com (or even use it to file your flight plan) and see what others have been using for a routing between the two locations and file that. Once you get good at it, you are much more likely to get "As Filed" instead of "advise ready to copy full route." Fill in the altitudes and the squak codes, read it back and you are good to go.
CRAFT is the standard teaching tool. After awhile, you don't even think about it when you write down the clearance. When you fly regular routes, then you will already have most of the clearance memorized. Like AVIVIII said, if they throw something different at you it really throws you off.
I like to use the same format. CRAFT is a great beginning, but there are certain rules. For example, you will ALWAYS be given your filed altitude 10 minutes after departure, and all freqs begin with a one. Always read your filed departure. If you didn't file one review the vector departure, and try to get the departure freq.

For example, we're doing PHL-IND.

File route is PHL..MXE.PENSY.J110.DQN.CLANG5..IND

If you review the vector SID, you'll see that MXE falls under the departure frequency of 124.35.

So I'll set up my paper (I usually use a napkin or blank piece of paper), as follows (I'll put what each item is in parenthises for explanation) prior to calling for the clearance:

3279 (Call sign or N# depending on your operation)
IND (Cleared from-to. You will always be cleared from your departure airport, so save writing, and you will always be cleared to your destination)

50 (5000 feet is the initial altitude for the Vector SID)
24.35 (departure freq over MXE)

Then when I call clearance, I fill in the rest or edit so it looks like the following:

3279 (flight/N #)
IND (destination)
PHL 7 MXE (SID, the PHL.7 MXE Asfiled)
50 (init altitude, expect filed in 10)
24.35 (departure)
3365 (XPDR Code)

Then it's nice and laid out. What ever format you use, use it every time, so you know where to look quickly for applicable info.

Happy flying!!
CRAFT for me.
CRADS for me..funny thing is, the only difference is the "DS instead of "FT" at the end, but they both stand for the same thing. Why rebel against the ERAU way? Clearance tells you verbatim: "(D)eparture on 125.4, (S)quawk 4452"

*Technique Only*
I like the CRAFT model for departure clearances, and when you're entering a terminal area, or any controlled area they usually follow the format of HAC...heading altitude clearance... "Rocket 405, fly heading 070 maintain 3000 feet until established..cleared ILS seven left"

These are the calls you need to be quick to respond too, especially in Bravo airspace, so expecting that format helps you remember them cause you usually don't have the time to write it down.
C
R
A
F
T
C
R
A
F
T

Works in a 172, Works in a 737. You have to modify it a little for oceanic clearances. But its basicly the same.
C
R
A
F
S(quak)

I guess I am not one of the cool kids
Another option
I just let the other guy get it
fbh
1  2  3  4 
Page 2 of 4
Go to