ERJ-170 Hopefuls! Brush Up On Your Inst. X-Check!

Subscribe
1  2  3  4 
Page 3 of 4
Go to
That's quite similar to the 170 single cue FD.

The problem isn't so much one of recognizing what the FD is saying...it's one of maintaining control of bank when maneuvering for a lateral correction (either heading or course). The 170 FD is small and bank attitude is not easily seen...that's why the need for a raw data crosscheck that includes the sky pointer.
Quote: That's quite similar to the 170 single cue FD.

The problem isn't so much one of recognizing what the FD is saying...it's one of maintaining control of bank when maneuvering for a lateral correction (either heading or course). The 170 FD is small and bank attitude is not easily seen...that's why the need for a raw data crosscheck that includes the sky pointer.

Raw data, I would have no trouble with that at all. My cross scan has always been good.
Looks very similar to an HGS cue...
Quote: Just turn the darned thing off and hand fly it. Works great for me..
hahah Couldnt agree more
Quote: Just turn the darned thing off and hand fly it. Works great for me..
Autopilot or flight director?

If you meant the A/P, forget it. I was talking about handflying.

If you meant the FD, I recommend that as an initial technique but ask that the FD eventually be turned back on. Below 1500' on an instrument approach, it's going to be on anyway.
Quote: Autopilot or flight director?

If you meant the A/P, forget it. I was talking about handflying.

If you meant the FD, I recommend that as an initial technique but ask that the FD eventually be turned back on. Below 1500' on an instrument approach, it's going to be on anyway.
See if the recruits have the basics of instrument flying. Turn off the Ap and FD and see if they can fly it raw data. If they can, they should have no problem using the automation.
Quote: See if the recruits have the basics of instrument flying. Turn off the Ap and FD and see if they can fly it raw data. If they can, they should have no problem using the automation.
Great idea! Unfortunately, the problem isn't the 'automation'. It is the pilot's use of the primary flight display. Us old farts still call that the ADI.

What equipment are you on?
Quote: Great idea! Unfortunately, the problem isn't the 'automation'. It is the pilot's use of the primary flight display. Us old farts still call that the ADI.

What equipment are you on?

I am on the EMB 145. I came to the jet from flying skyhawks. All of my previous flying was hand flown with no autopilot on steam guages.
So a recent 800 hours in a beech 1900 should develope a pretty good scan right?
Quote: So a recent 800 hours in a beech 1900 should develope a pretty good scan right?
No reason why not...we see quite a few folks with your background.

The issue for those who have problems in the 170 is an over-reliance on the FD...and a resultant failure to crosscheck other instruments. Both FD types are better trend indicators than they are precision indicators...by that I mean that final determination of vertical and lateral performance needs to include the heading bug, course indicator, glide slope indicator altimeter, etc.

While that may sound obvious, in practice...for some...it is not. For example, the FD is slow to provide correct guidance in pitch on low altitude level offs...it commands the return to the horizon line too slowly. The result is a FD that will produce an altitude bust if followed without reference to other cues.
1  2  3  4 
Page 3 of 4
Go to