Engine explodes during Southwest flight

Subscribe
3  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 
Page 13 of 15
Go to
Quote: There is no such thing as "bad publicity".
Generally true, but there's an exception to every rule and I think airlines are it for this one.
Quote: I've seen several airline policies recently recommending that the CA manage and the FO fly up until final, and then the CA takes over if there are going to be any unusual landing characteristics. The policies allow for PIC discretion as needed, ie they can deviate if warranted.
Their are a lot of other factors. Sulley says the main reason he took control is because he had more time on type, but even more so than that is that all the diversion points were on HIS side, so it just made sense.

Too many variables, no cookie cutter here. Despite doing this many times in training, when running through this in my head I missed a couple of things that would have been picked up on the check lists. So it's a blend of instincts and policy that makes for a successful outcome, but let me say this, those engines are on both Boeing and Airbus and with pretty much every airline. Time will tell if their is a policy issue on the mech side, but the one thing we do know as of right now is that their was no mistakes made by any of the flight crew.

Would I have done anything different? I think I would have given the heading knob a twist, so that when I dropped, I'd be out of the muck of other traffic. WHICH SHE MIGHT HAVE DONE, I just didn't see that she did that anywhere. That is total arm chair quarterbacking though.

Somebody lost their life. In my humble opinion, that makes any sarcasm and jest plain old disgusting. That crew will have to live with that for the rest of their lives.

My career has been ever so boring and routine, and for that I am forever grateful.
Quote: Even if maintenance is to blame for poor work, (not insinuating that at all) CFM has a huge problem on its hands. Two uncontained failures that sent shrapnel into the wing and fuselage certainly does not meet certification standards.
This is splitting hairs, but neither of our incidents were technically "uncontained" meaning we never had a fan blade make it out, but the shaking was enough to cause other components to become unattached and strike the fuselage.
Engine explodes during Southwest flight
Quote:

My career has been ever so boring and routine, and for that I am forever grateful.

This. This is a pilot who knows how to pilot. Never stop thinking that way, Friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote: This. This is a pilot who knows how to pilot. Never stop thinking that way, Friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amen....

Whenever folks refer to airline flying as boring, I say the same thing.
Quote: Amen....

Whenever folks refer to airline flying as boring, I say the same thing.
Well, we did have that incident involving the loose guinea pig...
Quote: Well, we did have that incident involving the loose guinea pig...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RfokNnioQx4
So was there an FO in the plane? Apparently, only one pilot went to the White House. Does SWA fly single pilot?

http://thehill.com/policy/transporta...hwest-airlines
There was but as we all know, he/she never touches the controls

Moronic media....
Every time Sully was interviewed he discussed the entire crew. I can't imagine what the Flight Attendants had to deal with during the emergency. And I suspect the FO did something during the emergency. Unless he was taking a nap. I can't believe how bad the media is.
3  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 
Page 13 of 15
Go to