Future airline hiring wave

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 3 of 3
Go to
It used to be 50/50 split for street v ad slots to woft. Lots of street slots with less competitive applicants. I blew 3.5 yrs going enlisted first. Dont make the same mistake a bunch of did. I got yelled at in AIT when I tried taking the FAST test while in training to be a medic. Go to ALLATPS and join a guard unit.
So I was wondering how much credibility does a college degree from a school like excelsior or thomas edison have? They are both regionally accredited.
Credibility in terms of Major Airline hiring or OCS selection.
Quote: So I was wondering how much credibility does a college degree from a school like excelsior or thomas edison have? They are both regionally accredited.
Credibility in terms of Major Airline hiring or OCS selection.
For majors, most are just looking for the degree from any accredited source. A few airlines would probably give extra credit for a degree from a top-tier school (ivy league, west coast equivalent, service academies). But I don't think any would disqualify your degree as long as it's accredited in the US.

For OCS, the school, major, and GPA will all contribute to your "whole person" package. The more, the better.
Quote: For majors, most are just looking for the degree from any accredited source. A few airlines would probably give extra credit for a degree from a top-tier school (ivy league, west coast equivalent, service academies). But I don't think any would disqualify your degree as long as it's accredited in the US.

For OCS, the school, major, and GPA will all contribute to your "whole person" package. The more, the better.
Okay thank you! Because I'm planning to get my degree from excelsior college while on active duty via credit exams.
So that I won't have to worry about it hopefully once it's time to go to the majors!
Unless your year group is drastically over-manned, you will not be out of the Army and available to the airlines for at least 8 years. And that's if you go street to seat!

If you try to enlist and then apply to WOFT you're going to be lucky to be out around 10.

I would avoid enlisting until you've exhausted your other options if your goal is to become a Warrant Officer. At a minimum you should try to go WOFT first and then enlist as a backup. If that doesn't work, try to find a guard unit that will take you on as a WOFT guy. They're rare, but they are out there if you pull the right strings.

If your goal is just to fly for the airlines and hit the hiring wave, then I'd enlist and only enlist. Make sure you stay in for at least 36 months and get your whole GI Bill benefit. Fly on the side when you can while you're in, and use your GI Bill to finish your ratings while you can. You'll also get tuition assistance to finish your degree while you're on active duty. CFI for a bit somewhere and then start applying.

I think that would truly be your quickest way to an airline seat since you said you cannot get loans. A lot changes in a decade, and that's what you will be giving to the Army if you go to flight school. It's a great job, I really enjoyed it and wouldn't trade my time for anything. But it IS a big commitment and one that you will have no flexibility to pursue other avenues.
1  2  3 
Page 3 of 3
Go to