Moving, Taxes?

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
So we will be moving from the west coast to a midwest town due to domicile change. While we own the house we currently live in, we will be renting it out while we rent a home in the new city.

My question is this, if I only change my work address to a relative who still resides in my current state, can I avoid paying the higher state taxes where I am moving too? This way, as far as state taxes go, I still show myself living in the lower taxed state.

This seems entirely to easy to be honest and I am sure there is a law about it, however I thought I would ask.
Tactics like that may or may not keep you from getting caught.

But if you get caught you can go to jail.

The only time a pilot should be manipulating tax circumstances are when you actually split your residential time between two states. In that case it's ok to adjust how much time you spend on one or the other state to avoid triggering legal residence thresholds. Or bidding to avoid working too much in your domicile state.
Judging by the number of out of state license plates in the employee parking lot, it's quite common. Legality is another thing.
Quote: Judging by the number of out of state license plates in the employee parking lot, it's quite common. Legality is another thing.
There may be several legal reasons for that.
When I commuted from MCI to ATL my crew car had to have MO license plates as I did not have an address in GA. Of course, the city of KC wanted it to have an annual inspection and one from ATL was not sufficient. I won't comment on a public forum how I got around that.

My wife is currently on active duty. So we reside in NY but I drive a car with TX plates, have a TX driver's license (with a TN address on it). It's really interesting when we drive into Canada. Naturally, we pay TX state income tax, NOT NY and it's perfectly legal.
Don’t do it.

Cars, utility bills, etc are way too easy to track now, and some states are very aggressive about it.

You don’t want to be the example some stupid revenue collector wants to make.

Certain states like Kalifornia are ultra aggressive. They will catch you.
Join the military.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote: Join the military.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only works for regular active duty, not reserves.
Quote: Only works for regular active duty, not reserves.
... and dependents. Get your spouse to join the military.
Yes, you *can* commit tax fraud.
It's only illegal if you're caught.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to