Military Military Aviation

Airline to Mil

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 12:06 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2013
Default Airline to Mil

Hey All,

I'm 30 years old and a captain at skywest, I've wanted to join the military for years and I've heard that right now would be a good time to get in for a pilot slot. So a few questions,

Which branch would I have the best bet of getting a fighter slot?

I've heard some branches have raised the age cutoff to 33? Could I still be waivered for the other branches or am I just too old?

I've heard that the marines would be a good option because I could possibly get a contract that guarantees me a pilot slot. Do any of the other branches do this?

Are there recruiters that specialize in aviation contracts? I'm a little freaked out to go to the mall and speak with a random recruiter that doesn't know much about the aviation side.

If I went active duty for 8 years or whatever it may be, could I still keep my job and seniority with skywest during that time?

I know that going the guard route would be a good way to get in but it's tough to even get an interview with a base that has fighters.

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2019, 12:23 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2018

If you don’t go Guard/Reserves there are no guarantees. You may end up flying UAVs in Clovis, NM.

USERRA (the law that protects civilian jobs and seniority for military service) only protects you for five years. Your airline may be more generous than USERRA but they are not required to be.

You are looking for an OTS/OCS spot. The Air Force also does guaranteed pilot trainee slots for active duty commissions (code: 92T0). Unfortunately the services use Officer Commissioning Schools as accessions overflow when they don’t generate enough officers from their respective service academies and ROTC detachments, which means there may not be any classes for months (or years) and it can be a lot more competitive.

Shoot for the moon, man. Figure out what you want to fly, locate those guard or reserve units and apply to all of them. As a 121 pilot you’ll dissuade their #2 fear, which is that you’ll wash out of pilot training and become a bad investment.

Their #1 fear is that you suck as a person and they get stuck with you; remember that 90% of a guard or reserve interview is to find out how much they like (or dislike) you. Don’t be a dbag, be humble but fun and good luck!
Old 04-25-2019, 07:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2015

I can speak a bit regarding the OTS route to Air Force UPT. Realize my info may be dated..I’d check out the forums on baseops.net for the most current info.

As I recall there are a few recruiters in each state that handle civilian OTS applicants but I can’t exactly remember how you connect with them. I want to say you’ll have to go through the recruiter in the mall, as you say, and he “should” be able to hand you off to correct person. Just don’t let them enlist you as Security Forces or something…lol.

Once you’re in contact with an OTS recruiter – used to be Master Sargent – that person will walk you through the requirements and help you build a package. Your package will include your medical, AFOQT scores (which are heavily weighed fyi), transcripts, letter of recommendations, etc. Obviously it takes awhile to complete and it’ll be capped off with an in person interview with an active duty officer. That officer will write you an overall recommendation which (along with your package) will go to a board of Colonels that will select or not select you for commissioning and UPT. The boards used to meet quarterly.

Realize if you go this route it’s basically a 10 yr commitment AFTER you graduate UPT (so in reality you’ll be in for 11/12 years). Unless things have changed very recently, there isn’t any more UAVs going to UPT grads so assignments are typically heavys, a few fighters and maybe a chopper or two. Good luck!
Old 04-25-2019, 07:45 PM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Exclamation

Originally Posted by cheap View Post
USERRA (the law that protects civilian jobs and seniority for military service) only protects you for five years. Your airline may be more generous than USERRA but they are not required to be.
This is not correct.

There is a five year limit for VOLUNTARY military duty, which as defined per law has numerous exemptions. I won't list all of them but for someone who joins the active duty military these are duty periods which would be totally exempt from the five year counter:

- Basic Training/OTS/OCS
- Initial MOS Training (ie flight school and all follow-ons)
- Any military obligation incurred due to training/education. This means the ENTIRE obligated service period after wings.

So what this means is that the OP could go on AD, do flight training then do his 8+ year obligation and return to SKW having burned ZERO time on his five year counter. He could then freely use that five years in the guard/reserves as desired.

Reality, you could go on AD and with creative timing for specialty schools and masters degree, do a full 20 years, retire, and then return to an airline job... with accrued seniority.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:50 PM
Covfefe

Joined APC: Jun 2015

Originally Posted by Gordie H View Post
I can speak a bit regarding the OTS route to Air Force UPT. Realize my info may be dated..I’d check out the forums on baseops.net for the most current info.

As I recall there are a few recruiters in each state that handle civilian OTS applicants but I can’t exactly remember how you connect with them. I want to say you’ll have to go through the recruiter in the mall, as you say, and he “should” be able to hand you off to correct person. Just don’t let them enlist you as Security Forces or something…lol.

Once you’re in contact with an OTS recruiter – used to be Master Sargent – that person will walk you through the requirements and help you build a package. Your package will include your medical, AFOQT scores (which are heavily weighed fyi), transcripts, letter of recommendations, etc. Obviously it takes awhile to complete and it’ll be capped off with an in person interview with an active duty officer. That officer will write you an overall recommendation which (along with your package) will go to a board of Colonels that will select or not select you for commissioning and UPT. The boards used to meet quarterly.

Realize if you go this route it’s basically a 10 yr commitment AFTER you graduate UPT (so in reality you’ll be in for 11/12 years). Unless things have changed very recently, there isn’t any more UAVs going to UPT grads so assignments are typically heavys, a few fighters and maybe a chopper or two. Good luck!
If OP is considering ANG/AFR I would advise to NOT talk to a recruiter. Talk to pilots in the squadron. They do the hiring. Recruiters facilitate the admin accessions stuff after the hiring piece has been done by the unit. The exception is the unsponsored AFRC board, in which case an officer accessions recruiter has to facilitate everything. In either case, there is a ton of info on baseops.net and bogidope.com with how to get everything done. There's also an annual active duty board, but I wouldn't mess with that nonsense.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2015

Originally Posted by BeatNavy View Post
If OP is considering ANG/AFR I would advise to NOT talk to a recruiter.
Agreed....was trying to give him an idea of how off the street OTS/UFT selection works...if he's interested in that avenue. But would add ANG/AFR is more than likely the better way to go (for many reasons) if possible...
Old 04-25-2019, 10:40 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2018

I stand corrected, thanks.

Airforceots.com helped me get a lot of info once upon a time, and there’s an AF subreddit now if the old forum isn’t up anymore.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:16 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2013
Position: No Hats No Jackets No PAX

Good point on the ability to accomplish 20 AD years and returning to your civilian gig with accrued seniority.

*Would be awesome if you were at your preferred destination (airline) and it didn’t disappear/go under. To have a preferred job waiting at the end of your military career that you enjoy is no small feat.

Not a feasible endeavor by any account (getting to the Big League takes years normally, you’ll be closer to 50 or beyond when retired after 20 AD in most cases and hopefully still in good health), the monetary loss would be rather significant comparatively to the military compensation. Definitely showcases an individuals willingness to serve others than themselves.

I understand the initial point was the legal aspect/ability to do 20 AD years and it is a very good point, I was just highlighting the obvious. A lot happens over a 20 year military career.

Doing the 8 year AD requirement is definitely a good option. That is a no-Brainer if your current civilian outfit is good now and remains so 8-10+ years later til you retire. Not bad insurance if the economy were to tank... again...
Old 04-26-2019, 03:37 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2014

The Marines do have air contracts which will guarantee you a seat in flight school, provided you finish OCS (10 weeks) and The Basic School (6 months). It is a great a option to become a pilot but do realize you will be a Marine first and foremost. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005

Army flight school age limit is 33 right now. You are guaranteed when you enlist that you are going to flight school, the trick is to find a recruiter who knows the route.
You will fly helicopters in the Army, though there is some fixed wing you can't count on it. Don't know if that is a plus or minus.

https://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-j...-officers.html