Flight data/cockpit voice on Kobe crash

Subscribe
4  5  6  7  8 
Page 8 of 8
Go to
Quote: Having the ability to hover means you are able to fly as slow as you want, all the way down to zero. As far as practical/operational instrument airspeed It’s aircraft and SOP dependent. We typically flew the approach at 90 KIAS in the H-1. Cruising IFR we’d pull around 120 KIAS. You can fly around at 5 knots if you were so inclined, but there isn’t much utility in it.
Been awhile but my experiences in poor visibility / no visible horizon flying at very low forward airspeeds approaching a hover were challenging at best to scary at worst. Vertigo, somatogravic & somatogyral illusions, etc. As a point of reference I flew the AH-1 and have logged plenty of low "I Follow Roads" time as well as plenty of tactical low vis low and slow flying. Still alive, somewhat due to my flying a multi pilot aircraft in those conditions :-O
Quote: . Still alive, somewhat due to my flying a multi pilot aircraft in those conditions :-O
That's significant. The mil does a lot of that kind of flying and essentially all of it is with two crew. The only ops I can ever even recall being done single pilot is the death egg, in certain VMC situations.

Single pilot helo IMC sounds challenging to me.
Quote: That's significant. The mil does a lot of that kind of flying and essentially all of it is with two crew. The only ops I can ever even recall being done single pilot is the death egg, in certain VMC situations.

Single pilot helo IMC sounds challenging to me.
ok I gotta ask...what is that?
Quote: ok I gotta ask...what is that?

MH-6

NSDQ
​​
​​​​​​.filler
Quote: MH-6

nice, that looks like fun. although by you calling it a death egg, I’m guessing it has a reputation
https://www.npr.org/2021/02/15/96769...iation-crashes

No mention of the price but it would be a great tool for flight schools.
Quote: nice, that looks like fun. although by you calling it a death egg, I’m guessing it has a reputation
It's a reference to the payload, not the aircraft. The aircraft is fine.

The payload is special operators, often of the top-tier variety, conducting direct-action ops.
Quote: That's significant. The mil does a lot of that kind of flying and essentially all of it is with two crew. The only ops I can ever even recall being done single pilot is the death egg, in certain VMC situations.
Add National Training Center OH-58 flying to your list. I spent lots of time flying solo in that bird, often using NVG in red illum. Not an assignment I would have been comfortable with as a new aviator.

I’ll never forget the time I was flying alone 2000 feet up over Coyote Lake, looking out the open door at my skid, and something touched my arm. Just about jumped out of the bird! I looked over and the seat cushion next to me had come unbuttoned and was floating under the shoulder belts.

That was only a few years ago. Sadly they’re flying Lakotas these days.
4  5  6  7  8 
Page 8 of 8
Go to