Reserve/Lineholding/Widebodies at KDEN

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 3 of 3
Go to
Quote: One shouldn’t have to take a bid to SFO, run the risk of getting stuck commuting for years just to upgrade. That base trade takes what would have been a vacancy in an actual seniority based bid. A vacancy that would have go to someone who actually has the seniority to hold DEN captain.
Come on man, drop the jealousy and be happy for the guy who was willing to take the risk. You could have the done the same, and if you're senior to 11600 that spot would have been yours and not his. If it's part of the contract, it's a legal means to an end.
If you see who is about to retire, you can work out a deal ($$) on a pre-retirement base trade to get that base you've always wanted.

Or if you get the inside scoop on a base closing, it's always prudent to base trade in. That way you get the go anywhere, to any seat "bumpity bump bump bump" baby.

YMMV.

We never had base trade at pre-merger UAL, other than for newhires. But I think I like it!!
Quote: One shouldn’t have to take a bid to SFO, run the risk of getting stuck commuting for years just to upgrade. That base trade takes what would have been a vacancy in an actual seniority based bid. A vacancy that would have go to someone who actually has the seniority to hold DEN captain.

One doesn’t have to. You bid what is most important to you. For this guy, upgrade was more important. The base trade wasn’t a crazy coincidence and lucky.
Quote: If you see who is about to retire, you can work out a deal ($$) on a pre-retirement base trade to get that base you've always wanted.

Or if you get the inside scoop on a base closing, it's always prudent to base trade in. That way you get the go anywhere, to any seat "bumpity bump bump bump" baby.

YMMV.

We never had base trade at pre-merger UAL, other than for newhires. But I think I like it!!

That would be quite a gamble being that base trades are seniority driven and someone more senior can scoop it up from under you.
Quote: Come on man, drop the jealousy and be happy for the guy who was willing to take the risk. You could have the done the same, and if you're senior to 11600 that spot would have been yours and not his. If it's part of the contract, it's a legal means to an end.
Haha no jealousy. I did the same thing in my previous life. That doesn’t changed how I feel about base trades. I understand they are allowed. I’m still allowed to think they don’t honor seniority.
Quote: Haha no jealousy. I did the same thing in my previous life. That doesn’t changed how I feel about base trades. I understand they are allowed. I’m still allowed to think they don’t honor seniority.
Neither does PBS. Nor does the monthly TDY program that is allowed under our CBA. Hello ALPA. Throw us base vacancy bidders a bone. We bid it. We own it. These TDY vultures just sweep in and take our flying and do it with guaranteed positive space flights and continual perdiem. Love it! Thanks for the reduction in seniority! Monthly TDY should be disallowed. It violates our seniority.
it didn’t take a vacancy spot....one in one out....
Quote: it didn’t take a vacancy spot....one in one out....
If this move had been made in a vacancy the DEN based pilot would have lateraled to SFO leaving a vacancy in DEN to be bid on. I get it base trades provide added flexibility and our group has decided they value that flexibility over seniority.
Quote: Come on man, drop the jealousy and be happy for the guy who was willing to take the risk. You could have the done the same, and if you're senior to 11600 that spot would have been yours and not his. If it's part of the contract, it's a legal means to an end.

And....it could be a boon to those who get displaced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote: And....it could be a boon to those who get displaced.
My first thought too! Wonder if the company has devoted any brain cells to it. An sfo WB displacement would probably result in massively overstaffed den 737ca.
1  2  3 
Page 3 of 3
Go to