Is it worth it

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 3 of 5
Go to
I flew corporate for a long time. Some of those guys I flew found my love for aviation and flying somewhat childish as they reaped the benefits of large yearly bonuses and very prominent salaries. And let's not kid ourselves with the Office Space stereotype, either. These guys were not working out of cubicles in some perpetually bleak state of mundane but were rather on the golf course or some other resort half the time. I guess it all depends on what lens you choose to view success from. I chose flying because it's been a lifelong dream though the financial rewards came much later. Some guys chose money first thinking it would lead to happiness. For some it did. Happiness is a state of mind. Good luck;-)
For some reason I thought of this thread when I read this article.

https://www.avgeekery.com/the-darkes...-pilot-hiring/

The fundamentals and demographics of the industry cannot be ignored. Hang in there.
Thank you to all that replied.

to answer a few questions:

I do love flying. But flying was intended to be a hobby for me, not a career. I had a pretty successful “first career” but got
laid off during a down turn. As the airline industry was booming, decided to go for it. In general, I love the job. When I’m flying anyway. The commuting to sit reserve part sucks. I’m definitely considering moving to base if I stay. I think that’s the only way sitting reserve for long periods can work and not go insane. I know many of you had it much worse than me coming up through the regionals, so I try not to complain too much. (Don’t know how y’all did it making $20k/year and sitting reserve for 5+ years)

Also, I’m at 9E, not Eagle. Just wanted to get the AA viewpoint as AA is my first choice.

thanks again!
Quote: Don’t know how y’all did it making $20k/year and sitting reserve for 5+ years
We just complained a lot.
Come to think of it, we complained after salaries went up and reserve times came down too. So... I guess a common theme is emerging!
Quote: We just complained a lot.
Come to think of it, we complained after salaries went up and reserve times came down too. So... I guess a common theme is emerging!
we pilots certainly don’t lack for complaints, do we! Lol.
I have days when I tell myself I should get a new career and just move on, and other days when I’m glad to be flying and I’m having the time of my life. Overall, I’d probably do it again. Although I’d be happier if I could just do out and backs (I live in base) or maybe 2 day trips.
Quote: Also, I’m at 9E, not Eagle!
Of course, by you saving to type a few extra letters, it made me type a few extra ones by having to Google it.
This is the American Airlines part of the forum, most here don't know 2 letter code for every airline. Sorry, just my pet peeve.
As for a career choice, do what you're happy with and get paid for. Even during bad times, like the the one we're living right now. Life is to short to wait for happiness.
​​​​​
Quote: There’s always turbulence in this industry (never saw 9-11 coming), but survivors succeed by persistence. This too shall pass.
x2

Quote: Yes. Yes it is!
x2
Quote: You won't find a guy/gal on here that didn't have their personal progression timeline thrown off by this industry (9-11, Age 65, Recession and Mortgage Crisis, Furlough, or Airline Bankruptcy). The folks that persevere reap the rewards.
I second this. Persevere. I spent 6 years at the regionals, was furloughed in the 2008 recession and had no movement when retirement age went 60 -> 65. Considered career changes a little, glad I didn't.

Made it to a major, and upgraded after 7 years, now making $25k to $30k per month.

The key is living in base and not commuting. I sat wide body FO reserve and sometimes didn't fly for 2-3 weeks at a time and had enormous amounts of time at home with kids. This would be a completely different job if I was commuting to a Crashpad. No thanks.

So yes, things are worth it. $250k to $300k a year, company puts 16% into 401k ($57,000/annually into retirement). It's a great job because of our union.

Quitting over a short term downturn is short sighted. Stick it out and apply to all 4 majors, don't just wait for a flow if that is what you are doing.
It's a completely different job if you live in base. I bid short call reserve by choice, it's actually pretty nice if you live in base.
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 3 of 5
Go to