Fume Events

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 7
Go to
https://www.latimes.com/projects/tox...9-travel-woes/
Quote: https://www.latimes.com/projects/tox...9-travel-woes/

It'll be ok. Senior captain told me it was just the sock getting moldy. /sarcasm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote: https://www.latimes.com/projects/tox...9-travel-woes/

Mods - please move to an appropriate forum. This isn't it.
Quote: Mods - please move to an appropriate forum. This isn't it.
Why not? There’s a SWA incident in the article.
Fume Blanc?
Quote: Mods - please move to an appropriate forum. This isn't it.
Maybe you should copy and paste this into your home forum (the Mesa forum). I got fumed a ton when I was at that dumpster fire. “It’s just moldy pack filters” the captains said. Yeah...ok...they are only moldy only when I pull the thrust levers to idle on descent?
Quote: Maybe you should copy and paste this into your home forum (the Mesa forum). I got fumed a ton when I was at that dumpster fire. “It’s just moldy pack filters” the captains said. Yeah...ok...they are only moldy only when I pull the thrust levers to idle on descent?
I’m saying it’s general so should not be in any specific airlines forum. Interesting trivia the packs on the crj 900 are the very same packs as on the airbus. I still think the thread should be moved.
The danger is in the pyrolized oil. Every entity knows there is a serious health problem with exposure, yet none will take responsibility. These fumes are the equivalent chemically to chemical weapons. The neurological damages are numerous. Air crew are not covered by OSHA oversight. As far as I know, Spirit is the only American airline that has a very specific checklist for fumes. Many times fume events happen after an engine wash because corners are cut. Ask me how I know.
Quote: The danger is in the pyrolized oil. Every entity knows there is a serious health problem with exposure, yet none will take responsibility. These fumes are the equivalent chemically to chemical weapons. The neurological damages are numerous. Air crew are not covered by OSHA oversight. As far as I know, Spirit is the only American airline that has a very specific checklist for fumes. Many times fume events happen after an engine wash because corners are cut. Ask me how I know.
Also often caused by over servicing the engine/APU oil. That was one of B6’s big problems. Too much oil in the system, would find seals to come out of, then pool up, then be ingested on idle descents and spray the old dirty socks smell (later the magic marker smell after we switched oils). IAE2500 engines don’t help since their normal oil pressure is like 3x-4x that of other engines.
Also for you Guppy pilots, watch the A & B hydraulic systems for over-servicing. That can be a potential source of a fine event. They had a tendency at SWA to not follow the MX manual and only fill it to 96% but instead to over 100%.

I write it up. Some mechanics get ****ed off at me (don’t care) while others get ****ed off at the mechanic who over-serviced it. One bad fume event was more than enough for me.
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 7
Go to